Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/13/2012 5:15:57 PM EDT
Do they work ?  

I was going to order a10  RRA 16' A4.   I was going to order some of those 20 rnd RRA poly mags to go with it since
PMAGs dont fit. Has anyone used them ALOT and do they work?  Some mags are crap and wanted to double check.
Does RRA life time warranty cover mags ?? hahah

What horrible timing. My company came out with new policy and I can not use my DPMS any longer.
Now the election run wait is 3 months at least.

It's here, the phone call sure was a suprise

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#1]
No the metal mags are better..

they are redesigned FAL thermolds ..yuck
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.

edit..  Just remembered were I heard thermolds before. MINI 14.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

so how many have you run through your rifle ? I have been using them for close to a year now and not had one issue .

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

so how many have you run through your rifle ? I have been using them for close to a year now and not had one issue .

How many mags do you use?
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Do they work ?  

I was going to order a10  RRA 16' A4.   I was going to order some of those 20 rnd RRA poly mags to go with it since
PMAGs dont fit. Has anyone used them ALOT and do they work?  Some mags are crap and wanted to double check.
Does RRA life time warranty cover mags ??

I ordered a couple recently because I was having issue with the mags I got with my rifle. (second hand).
Honestly I can't say that I've used them A LOT, but, so far the feed issues that I was having are gone.

They don't drop free because they don't have the mass that a metal mag has, but I'd rather contend with that than a rifle not feeding properly.
I am not military nor am I LEO so my life does not depend on it. But I can say that I feel comfortable enough with my setup  that it would perform provided I didn't have to change my shorts if things got crazy
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#6]
well i teach so I get to see quite a few makes, good FAL mags are around find them.

the newer RRA mags have had issues in my experience being pushed in too far causing feed problems.
this can be a problem in a self defense gun.

i do not like the RRA because they picked the wrong magazine, the FAL receiver supports the rounds differently than the AR, using the flimsy FAL based magazines is a bad way to start.

I have also seen quit a few bolt over follower issues on empty magazines, If you have a few that run well by all means use them.

New FAL magazines with non abused feed lips should work well.

I have a call into a guy I instructed a month ago with one he said that some "new" mags were coming in, I will see if he had any luck with the latest generation...He was having problems with the last rounds and no bolt hold open.

Thermold  has always been < everything but ramline....for some reason the followers like to stick

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

stupid me my rifle works better than I do with my computer.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#8]
to the op  I have been running 5 of there mags for quite some time now . I suppose I got the special edition mags since mine just work . I also have 10 like new austrian mags I picked up at a gun show that have been pretty good .
I have run around 1500 rounds through the polymer mags so far .
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#9]
"the newer RRA mags have had issues in my experience being pushed in too far causing feed problems.
this can be a problem in a self defense gun."

The new poly mags are sent with a page lissutrating two points on the magazine that may need to be filed in order to get them to seat properly in ones rifle. If they're are seating too far I'm guessing that someone removed too much material without checking fit and function.
Not hard to do with a metal file on plastic.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Well that may explain many things....

My buddy tells me the new magazines have a different profile than his original set.. He is going to run them this weekend and see.

His rifle has never balked on his new steel magazines ,be careful not to bend the feed lips on the metal ones. The FAL fully supports the magazine lips so it's not an issue in them.

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#11]

I hate mag issues.  I need 12 fully functional. Think I will look into a different brand of rifle.
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 11:58:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
using the flimsy FAL based magazines is a bad way to start.

Flimsy FAL mags have been used by about 70 countries, and now by the SCAR.  It's not the magazines.

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 2:22:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
using the flimsy FAL based magazines is a bad way to start.

Flimsy FAL mags have been used by about 70 countries, and now by the SCAR.  It's not the magazines.

Did you look at how they are supported in the FAL and SCAR?
If you did you would notice that both cradle the upper portion of the magazine limiting the way the feed lips can move, they will,even press in the feed lips of magazines that have spread...

In the ar style they are allowed to sit up with no such support so it's not good.. Did you know this or are you just parroting things you have heard.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 10:21:57 PM EDT
[#14]
The RRA polymer mags are GTG.

I own 6 poly and 6 metal mags for my LAR-8.  Flat out can't tell a difference between the two - the poly's have run flawlessly.

Ignore the distractors stating they are like "Thermold".  Although, it would be nice to see Magpul manufacture a FAL patterned mag
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:47:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The RRA polymer mags are GTG.

I own 6 poly and 6 metal mags for my LAR-8.  Flat out can't tell a difference between the two - the poly's have run flawlessly.

Ignore the distractors stating they are like "Thermold".  Although, it would be nice to see Magpul manufacture a FAL patterned mag

Thanks for the reply. I am mag paranoid do to my exposure to the mini14. Every RRA weapon I own is top notch and I can't imagine them
shipping out a bunch of under par mags.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#16]

I have talked to a few people with Armalite and RRA.  I decided to go with the RRA.

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 2:49:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have talked to a few people with Armalite and RRA.  I decided to go with the RRA.

Thanks for your input.

Congrats...great choice.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#18]
HOLY CRAP

I JUST GOT MY MAGS,, LUCKY ME.  They told me three months for my rifle so I figured that
gave me a few months to get mags. Then I seen OBAMA bin laden spit out the words ASSAULT.
I ran to computer and and ordered  a few mags. They arrived today and now RRA site is no longer taking orders.
I almost had a single shot AR.hahahah
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#19]
congrats on the mags and rifle I hope it runs as good for you as mine has for me.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:02:52 AM EDT
[#20]
I have exactly one of the newer Thermold FAL / RRA mags, but it has worked just fine thus far.

FWIW, I've been using Thermold magazines since the eighties, and they have always been quite satisfactory.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:16:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I have 4 of the RRA poly mags. They're tighter fitting in the magwell and make much less noise while hunting. I never had an issue with the RRA supplied surplus mag, but my bolt holds open, as it should, each and every time with the polys. I've yet to experience any mag related issues with them.  They're also $20, what's not to like.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:39:22 AM EDT
[#22]

$25 now and no more free shipping. Still a good deal.

Quoted:
I have 4 of the RRA poly mags.   They're also $20, what's not to like.

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

$25 now and no more free shipping. Still a good deal.

Quoted:
I have 4 of the RRA poly mags.   They're also $20, what's not to like.

Good thing I ordered 2 more on the 19th for $20. Stinks they went up in price. Still worth $25 to me though.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top