Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/5/2012 3:13:36 PM EDT
I've been reading the standard buffer that comes in these are not heavy enough to keep the carbine from tearing itself up over a period of time. I've got next to 100 rounds of Hornady 155gr .308 TAP down the pipe and I see no signs of excessive wear on the bolt cam, bolt locking lugs, or where the bolt carrier is wearing the lower while cycling. The carbine shoots between .500 and .750 of a inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards off the bench and was going to be my Whitetail gun this 15th of November. Should I just retire it until I can get a heavy buffer or do the masses think it'll be okay as is? Thanks....
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#1]
If your brass is ejecting over 12-15 feet before hitting the ground, then you probably are over gassed to where you might need to worry about that.

If not, then you should be fine with the stock buffer.

If overgassed, another option is to get a different spring like the Tubb Speed Lock Flatwire (which has more power), or get an adjustable gas block.  The gas block is the better option than a heavier buffer in my opinion because it allows you to tune the gas to the load.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:01:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I put 1000 rounds through mine in the standard config with no problems of excessive wear or anything of the like perhaps its to soon to call but hey...

If you do decide to change the buffer and spring please report back I would like to know how it goes.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine works great as is. But Slash make a extra heay Buffer for them if you think it needs it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input...it was helpful.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got 300-400 rounds thru mine - Brass, Steel match, Wolf steel & Barnul steel. Mine started running smoother after about 150 rounds. Throws cases 6-7 feet in a nice 2' circle. Shoot it and don't worry.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top