Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2012 1:09:55 PM EDT
I'm getting ready to build a 300 blackout with a 10.5 inch barrel.  I was thinking of just getting a thread protector for now.  Is the muzzle flash going to be killer with sonics and subs or what?  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an 8" 300 BLK upper, currently with no muzzle device "permanently" installed, as I haven't made up my mind if it will be used long term with my Gemtech Quicksand suppressor (requires a mount be rocksett installed on the bbl so it won't easily come unscrewed).  While in good fun, my shooting buddies have commented on its noticeable muzzle blast when using a thread protector.  So, yesterday we did an test of muzzle blast:  thread protector Vs Gemtech Vortex Quickmount.  All 3 agreed that the muzzle blast (while certainly still there) was reduced by having the Vortex Quickmount in place and for nearby shooters, the Vortex flash hider/suppressor mount made it more pleasant.   This was done in daytime, so muzzle flash was not easily seen.  I am assuming that muzzle flash intensity would be similar to the intensity of muzzle blast and that a flash suppressor designed to break up muzzle FLASH would also be good at breaking up muzzle BLAST.  I would therefore recommend you install a flash hider.  An A1 or A2 style 5/8x24 thread one would be the cheapest and do a good job without adding much weight.   Bonus:  would also better protect the muzzle from accidental dings.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a thread protector and have not noticed any extreme muzzle flash.

The round is designed to have most of the powder burned before the

bullet leaves the barrel.

Mine has a 9" barrel.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#3]
this is extremely relevant to my interests - considering building a 10.2" blk and leaving the muzzle bare to thread on an osprey (with subs only)

would be nice if there was a youtube vid of someone shooting supers at night with a bare muzzle...
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 7:34:38 AM EDT
[#4]
i've gone complete circle and now use a thread protector only...
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Just buy the AAC blackout non mount flash hider (doesn't require to be timed)  just hand tighten it, and just pull it off when you want to thread on your supressor.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:59:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just buy the AAC blackout non mount flash hider (doesn't require to be timed)  just hand tighten it, and just pull it off when you want to thread on your supressor.

not the best idea - loose flash hiders love to come off of barrels

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

not the best idea - loose flash hiders love to come off of barrels

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I never had any complaints, by I just put an à2 flash hider on until I settled along my suppressor mount.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes. There will be significant flash. My 9" barrel rifle will occasionally flash, even with subsonics without a flash hider.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top