Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2012 3:46:06 PM EDT
Ok small back story is that I want an AR15 variant caliber for hunting, but I can't find a 6.5 grendel around this area. Sooooo there is a 6.8 for sale local and thought it seems like a sweet deal. so heres the description from the seller:
6.8 Package
AR Performance Upper. 16 inch lightweight barrel. I believe they call it their scout barrel, spec II chamber, 11.25 5r twist.....troy medieval muzzle break and YHM full length diamond quad rail with a top rail cover.

I have one of the new detent adjustable gas blocks ready to go and included but not installed. Both current and new gas blocks are set screw set ups so the swap should be easy

LOWER
Eagle by Armalite lower. Has the vltor rifle length modstock and SPR grip.

2 mags, one 25 rounder, one ten.

Upper was bought last winter and still looks brand new. Do some research and you will realize this is one of the best 6.8 Uppers you can buy. Amazing reputation for accuracy and durability.

PRICE IS $900

So what's the general opinion? much appreciated!!!

Link Posted: 8/10/2012 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ok small back story is that I want an AR15 variant caliber for hunting, but I can't find a 6.5 grendel around this area. Sooooo there is a 6.8 for sale local and thought it seems like a sweet deal. so heres the description from the seller:
6.8 Package
AR Performance Upper. 16 inch lightweight barrel. I believe they call it their scout barrel, spec II chamber, 11.25 5r twist.....troy medieval muzzle break and YHM full length diamond quad rail with a top rail cover.

I have one of the new detent adjustable gas blocks ready to go and included but not installed. Both current and new gas blocks are set screw set ups so the swap should be easy

LOWER

Upper was bought last winter and still looks brand new. Do some research and you will realize this is one of the best 6.8 Uppers you can buy. Amazing reputation for accuracy and durability.

PRICE IS $900

Would probably sell for around $1100 or a little more with the Troy medevil new
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#2]
AR Performance products are outstanding. I have nothing but love for mine. If you hit another forum you will find that ARP love runs deep with many others as well.
I am very happy with the 6.8 and reloading makes it even more flexible / tuneable to your  specific application(s). I don't think you will be dissapointed with this set up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Do some research and you will realize this is one of the best 6.8 Uppers you can buy. Amazing reputation for accuracy and durability.

Sounds like you already made up your mind.

Yes, ARP is one of the, if not the leading authority and parts manufacturer for the 6.8 SPC.

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 4:07:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do some research and you will realize this is one of the best 6.8 Uppers you can buy. Amazing reputation for accuracy and durability.

Yes, ARP is one of the, if not the leading authority and parts manufacturer for the 6.8 SPC.

+1
'Scout' is the barrel profile.

Although, I'd throw Bison in there too, as a leader.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 4:59:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't made up my mind that was part of the seller description. I'm glad to hear all the responses though. Hopefully I can get a call back from the guy.

Oh and it's a 6.8 spcII if that's makes much of a difference?
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 5:09:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Big difference. The SPC II chamber allows you to shoot all of 6.8 loads being sold now.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 5:23:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big difference. The SPC II chamber allows you to shoot all of 6.8 loads being sold now.

Thank you sir. That's a good piece of info!
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 5:26:07 AM EDT
[#8]
sounds like a fair deal, just as long as he comes back and doesn't say it has 10,000 rounds through it, however if the barrel is melonite treated, will last a lot longer than that
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 5:52:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like a fair market price. Inspect it in person first...pictures at the very least is a must. Round count would be a plus...but the VAST majority of shooters around aren't going to put enought rounds through an upper in 1 year to worry about that.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 7:08:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, the 6.8 ARP is a custom chamber/rifling, designed for accuracy (sort of like the .223 Wyle). But, for ammo & hand load purposes it's SPC II.
Dang good price for a rifle with a custom barrel & mags! If I was in the market, it would be gone.
Although, I like my Magpul, release encased, stock w/ friction lock.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 7:50:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, the 6.8 ARP is a custom chamber/rifling, designed for accuracy (sort of like the .223 Wyle). But, for ammo & hand load purposes it's SPC II.
Dang good price for a rifle with a custom barrel & mags! If I was in the market, it would be gone.
Although, I like my Magpul, release encased, stock w/ friction lock.

I was going to add that but that barrel might be a early SPCII when H was doing those.

Either one of the 6.8X43(ARP) or SPC II chambers are find though.

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Great rifle for a good price––sounds good to me. If nothing else you can sell it for what you have in it if you don't like it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
6.8 Package

LOWER

PRICE IS $900

See if you can shoot it first put a box of good ammo through it.....if it doesnt shoot good why bother...

but you should clean it for him if you don't take it...
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I built an AR using a ARP 6.8 SPCII barrel bolt combo last year and it is the best shooting AR I own. That sounds like a good deal.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#15]
As sstated, it is a 6.8x43 chamber. Ir is more accurate than spec II, PLUS, YOU CAN LOAD HOTTER THAN STANDARD SPEC II chambers.  The barrel is melonite finished. Radius, 5 groove. You will average around so 50fpsmany more than most barrels even with mild factory loads. That barrel will actually yield 20 inch velocities all day.

That is the same setup I have been shooting for a few years.  

Harrison is 6.8. Without him it wouldn't be here the way it is. He, TimW, HTR, and a couple of others resurrected this thing and made it what it is now, which is what is was intended to begin with. Remington reversesd. Some numbers on the blueprints and fucked up the chamber, wound up downloading the ammo, and then rather than fix it, tried to let it die, and has tried to kill it.

Stay away from anything Remington in 6.8, ammo, everything, it all sucks, and is overpriced.  Brass is fair, but large primer, and you want small primmed SSA or Hornady.

You won't find a more consistently accurate upper.

Harrison at that time, trued the receivers on every model, even the cheapest, which this was not. This is the recon package.

Most have Mega upper receivers, check and see for sure. But mine does.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 6:41:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
sounds like a fair deal, just as long as he comes back and doesn't say it has 10,000 rounds through it, however if the barrel is melonite treated, will last a lot longer than that

Very unlikely that the round count is high unless he is a rabid handloader.

More likely....
Needs money
Tired of pricey store-bought ammo (doesn't handload)
Had mag issues (didn't know the cure)
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Well I got all excited about this gun especially after hearing how sweet of a shooter it could be. Unfortunately the guy never returned any emails then the ad was deleted so i assume it has sold. So Im just going  to have a pitty party by myself.

Much appreciated all the input! and will definetly keep my eye out for more deals to pop up.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well I got all excited about this gun especially after hearing how sweet of a shooter it could be. Unfortunately the guy never returned any emails then the ad was deleted so i assume it has sold. So Im just going  to have a pitty party by myself.

Much appreciated all the input! and will definetly keep my eye out for more deals to pop up.

I wouldn't get married to finding deals.....
Just go complete upper + complete lower or build from scratch using either AR Performance or Bison Armory for your new 6.8
The finished cost will equal a "deal".
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just go complete upper + complete lower or build from scratch using either AR Performance or Bison Armory for your new 6.8

Good advice, ARP and Bison are some of the few places where you get your money's worth.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good advice, ARP and Bison are some of the few places where you get your money's worth.

+1 to this.

Link Posted: 8/13/2012 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
'Scout' is the barrel profile.

Although, I'd throw Bison in there too, as a leader.

I bought a Bison upper in 6.8 SPC II earlier this year. It's stupid accurate. It might be the best money I've ever spent on a firearm. Check out 68forums.com.
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Bison is really really good. One of the early guys too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 5:07:23 AM EDT
[#23]
My uppers cost almost that much with ARP parts, so it's a great deal IMO.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#24]
That sounds like a good deal.  I agree there is no way there has been 10,000 rounds ran through unless he reloads like crazy.

I will also make a recommendation to Bison Armory.  Absolutely love my 6.8 SPC II from Ben!
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top