Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/1/2012 4:53:56 PM EDT
I've been looking at the information on various brands of 308 ARs and this one caught my eye.  I realize it's probably not quite as rugged as an LMT or accurate as an OBR, but what's the overall assessment?  Is it a decent rifle for 50-500 yards or a waste of money?  I'd love to have one of the higher end brands, but that's not in the cards right now.  I'm also a little concerned that the usually sound advice of "wait and save" might run into problems if the next election doesn't go well and black rifles become more expensive or more difficult (impossible) to obtain.

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#1]
free bump..

Personally Im in love with the AP4 - 16" flattop version... Saving up my pennies

Brian
Link Posted: 6/1/2012 11:06:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought one, and I am really liking it.  The mid-length gas makes the recoil much nicer.  One complaint is how heavy it is.  I knew it was heavy ahead of time, pluse the scope and mount are pretty heavy as well.  I am going to replace the rail, and get the barrel fluted to lighten it a little bit.  My other complaint is more of a personal preference thing, the Tango Down BG-16 pistol  grop doesn't fit properly, so I am going to get a MIAD grip.  I don't like the long reach of the MOE grip, and trigger is mil-spec, so that's getting replaced real soon!!!  The MOE furniture is OK, but if I am spending $1300+, they could at least throw in a better trigger, the MIAD and a ACS or CTR stock.

I will say that I like having something pretty unique, that I have only seen 1 other, and it was on here.

Here are some pics to wet your appetite.

Link Posted: 6/2/2012 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#3]
dpms recon's in .308 are hard to come by.... i have had one on order for over a month now and i'm sure i'll be waiting for months to come. ive run into prices in the wisconsin area from 1299 to 1349. i think with the options you get for 1349 or less you can not go wrong. i really like the 16" barrel in order to keep the weight down as i don't plan on shooting over 500yards anyway. you might want to look into a longer barrel if you think you might be going over 500yards. as for me, this rifle is the perfect set up.

elfy
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I own a DPMS 308 oracle (16" barrel) and couldn't be happier.  I've had it for about 3 months and have put at least a hundred rounds through it.  I haven't taken it to an official range yet, but at 100yds on my B-i-L's land, using the iron sights, I managed several 4-6" groups (unsupported) and 1.5-2" groups while leaning against a tree.  

They don't say Colt, Spike's, or DD on the side, yet are nice rifles depending upon your intentions.  While sometimes scoffed at by Tacticools, as long as you avoid daily sustained gunfire shootouts in unfriendly foreign environments, it will do everything you ask of it...as a recreational rifle.

My biggest caution is this:
It was my first privately owned AR platform rifle, and seeing as how I had so much fun shooting it the last few weekends, I planned on taking it to the range before work this morning...unfortunately I've spent the whole day shopping for a 5.56... and so it begins.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I own a DPMS 308 oracle (16" barrel) and couldn't be happier.  I've had it for about 3 months and have put at least a hundred rounds through it.  I haven't taken it to an official range yet, but at 100yds on my B-i-L's land, using the iron sights, I managed several 4-6" groups (unsupported) and 1.5-2" groups while leaning against a tree.  

They don't say Colt, Spike's, or DD on the side, yet are nice rifles depending upon your intentions.  While sometimes scoffed at by Tacticools, as long as you avoid daily sustained gunfire shootouts in unfriendly foreign environments, it will do everything you ask of it...as a recreational rifle.

My biggest caution is this:

It was my first privately owned AR platform rifle, and seeing as how I had so much fun shooting it the last few weekends, I planned on taking it to the range before work this morning...unfortunately I've spent the whole day shopping for a 5.56... and so it begins.
Good first post.

Welcome to the site.

Link Posted: 6/3/2012 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#6]
just picked up my vortex pst 4 16 x 50 ffp scope today and the wait is now killing me for my dpms recon... i seriously have everything (magpul mag, sling, rail covers, scope, blah blah blah) but for the friggen rifle itself. the wait is seriously driving me nuts now!! LOL

elfy
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Once you're done rubbing your stank on it, don't forget to make a thread to post some pics for us!
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 8:48:33 AM EDT
[#8]
just wondering where you purchased your DPMS recon from?
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#9]
just wondering where you purchased your dpms recon from? btw, post some 5shot groups @ 100yards will ya!!! LOL

Quoted:
I just bought one, and I am really liking it.  The mid-length gas makes the recoil much nicer.  One complaint is how heavy it is.  I knew it was heavy ahead of time, pluse the scope and mount are pretty heavy as well.  I am going to replace the rail, and get the barrel fluted to lighten it a little bit.  My other complaint is more of a personal preference thing, the Tango Down BG-16 pistol  grop doesn't fit properly, so I am going to get a MIAD grip.  I don't like the long reach of the MOE grip, and trigger is mil-spec, so that's getting replaced real soon!!!  The MOE furniture is OK, but if I am spending $1300+, they could at least throw in a better trigger, the MIAD and a ACS or CTR stock.

I will say that I like having something pretty unique, that I have only seen 1 other, and it was on here.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg348/maverick698869/DPMS%20Recon/P5080845.jpg

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg348/maverick698869/DPMS%20Recon/P5080846.jpg

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
just wondering where you purchased your dpms recon from? btw, post some 5shot groups @ 100yards will ya!!! LOL

Quoted:

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg348/maverick698869/DPMS%20Recon/P5080845.jpg

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg348/maverick698869/DPMS%20Recon/P5080846.jpg

I got mine from Nelson Tactical online, but good luck finding one now!!!  I think I bought the last one!!!

ETA:  There is 1 on Gunbroker.  Here's the link:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=290227969
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top