Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2012 7:07:43 AM EDT
Is it possable to enlarge by drilling out the top vent holes on a muzzle brake to allow for more gas to come out in hopes of forceing down the barrel more to get a faster and more accurate time on my double taps? Im shooting a RRA Lar-8 .308 16in. barrrel. Looking into a JP or Smith. Wondering if I can do this without blowing up the brake and screwing up the barrel or myself? Anybody ever do this or am I playing with fire and asking to get burned?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:25:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I suppose you could but be cautious cuz I think if you go too far it'll reverse itself. When you shoot you feel no difference using the bake a it is??? Using one on my FAL I felt a big difference. It certainly satisfied me.

No mater how much you open up the holes you'll always have recoil. I hope your not trying to eliminate the recoil down to zero. Brakes are designed to assist you the rest is still up to the human.

Impala
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:19:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is it possable to enlarge by drilling out the top vent holes on a muzzle brake to allow for more gas to come out in hopes of forceing down the barrel more to get a faster and more accurate time on my double taps? Im shooting a RRA Lar-8 .308 16in. barrrel. Looking into a JP or Smith. Wondering if I can do this without blowing up the brake and screwing up the barrel or myself? Anybody ever do this or am I playing with fire and asking to get burned?

Lets put it this way, if you are an experienced gunsmith and machinist, you probably don't need to ask this question on a forum do you? If you are not prepared to go the distance, you may put the holes in there and find nothing happens, or, you could get lucky and find an improvement. It is a risk, all we are really discussing is the ratio between risk and pay.

If you have the time and resources to experiment, you will probably either: 1) get there, or, 2) find it was already nearly optimized as it was and it was all for nothing, or, 3) have it fail catastrophically inches away from your face.
The instrumentation required to actually measure the change in LOS due to that muzzle break are not trivial when we are discussing an enthusiast. It is different for folks with a business plan who intend to make some profit from the investment in effort and money.

As long as you are careful enough to keep the sections thick enough to prevent a burst, you can probably play a little without big resources. But I would advise you to consider the risks very carefully. If you understand pressure vessels, that is one thing, in order to understand the dynamic pressure of a muzzle, that is another. Don't assume the pressure on a muzzle is low. Poorly designed muzzle breaks and cans do explode when they fail.

Good luck and play it safe.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd just leave it alone
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have the time and resources to experiment, you will probably either: 1) get there, or, 2) find it was already nearly optimized as it was and it was all for nothing, or, 3) have it fail catastrophically inches away from your face.

hilarious
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top