Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/2/2012 2:39:43 PM EDT
I am sure there has been a ton of these but cant seem to find an answer to mine. I am sorry if I missed it, I am sure you guys are tired of answering them.
I ll keep it short thanks
let me say I want to purchase with plans of swapping out with my 5.56 and still using current bcg, and ch. 16 inch is what I will be running
Are the dsa's any good?
I will be running a spikes nib bcg, wondering about dsa uppers. Dont want to spend a lot but dont want something that will give me problems ( dont mind running quality my 5.56 is a bcm recce). WILL NOT BE RUNNING WITH CAN

Any specific rifle twist or grove#?

Chrome barrel way to go on these also?

Should I just by a barrel and a bcm reciever to put it on?

Thanks will be reloading also. Hope I am not hitting everybody with same questions but couldnt find review on dsa anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:41:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Can I literally just replace my barrel on my BCM recce upper. I will need a carbine gas tube but anything else besides barrel. Can I use the same barrel nut and etc....

What I have now
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv136/spartakis1/P1000394.jpg
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Can I literally just replace my barrel on my BCM recce upper. I will need a carbine gas tube but anything else besides barrel. Can I use the same barrel nut and etc....

What I have now

Yes.  That's one of the great things about the 300BLK.  However, barrels are in high demand.  You might have to wait to get what you want, but look around.

I recommend staying away from CMMG, though.  Shoot a single reload through the barrel, and they won't warrant it regardless of the problem.  Somebody bought a complete CMMG upper that was misassembled, and they wouldn't warrant it because he shot reloads through it.

High end barrels (Noveske, Wilson) seem to be in good supply, but the lower cost ones seem to be hard to come by right now.

ETA:  That is a sweet rifle!
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I have now

Yes.  That's one of the great things about the 300BLK.  However, barrels are in high demand.  You might have to wait to get what you want, but look around.

I recommend staying away from CMMG, though.  Shoot a single reload through the barrel, and they won't warrant it regardless of the problem.  Somebody bought a complete CMMG upper that was misassembled, and they wouldn't warrant it because he shot reloads through it.

High end barrels (Noveske, Wilson) seem to be in good supply, but the lower cost ones seem to be hard to come by right now.

That is complete bull about CMMG. I have had 0 issues with their customer service or shooting reloads through their barrels.  You should contact CMMG before someone tells you wrong.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually CMMG's barrels get many positive reviews. Others to look at are AR Stoner from Midway and site sponser Core 15 has some also.

I just finished a 100% ground up build in 300 blackout. The only thing different with regards to .223/5.56 is the barrel, muzzle device and ammo. Everything else is absolutely positively the same.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:29:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I have now

That is complete bull about CMMG. I have had 0 issues with their customer service or shooting reloads through their barrels.  You should contact CMMG before someone tells you wrong.

Thread is here:
http://www.300BlkTalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=161&t=78516

Warranty is already voided. here is what CMMG said:

...as for the warranty, since you have used re-loaded ammunition (Hornady 225gr Match, 10.5gr A1680, OAL:2.160", clocking 1020fps
average) , it has already been voided: http://www.cmmginc.com/pages/ammunition.html

And straight from their website as they directed their customer to read:
http://www.cmmginc.com/pages/ammunition.html
Using any reloaded ammunition, any steel cased ammunition or Wolf Ammunition VOIDS your Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Note that the problem he was experiencing had NOTHING to do with ammo, yet they wouldn't give him an RA.  Instead, he fixed it himself, thanks to the great advice of others on the forum.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Another thing to note with the CMMG barrel is that they use a larger size gas port to run their 175gr subsonic rounds. This is the reason for their little chart, as some combinations will result in over gassing an upper.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe the OP in the article you reference found a loose gas key and lubing it properly fixed the problem. This was not a barrel issue.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I believe the OP in the article you reference found a loose gas key and lubing it properly fixed the problem. This was not a barrel issue.

But the loose gas key WAS a CMMG issue (their BCG), and they wouldn't even take a look at his upper to determine this because he used reloads.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I can't disagree with you there. I personally believe there are better companys  as far as customer service or assembled uppers or complete rifles are concerned.

But with regards to the.300  barrel it is still  a viable choice.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:22:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I am looking at the wilson barrels, but they say optimized for subsonic loads, I am assuming they will run good with super sonic loads. if not the Noveske might be my choice.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Match-Grade-Barrel-300-AAC-Blackout-Recon-Tactical-16-1-8-Twist-Stainless/productinfo/TR-300RC16/
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:16:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am looking at the wilson barrels, but they say optimized for subsonic loads, I am assuming they will run good with super sonic loads. if not the Noveske might be my choice.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Match-Grade-Barrel-300-AAC-Blackout-Recon-Tactical-16-1-8-Twist-Stainless/productinfo/TR-300RC16/

I love my Noveske barrel, but you should know that in some guns (like mine), they won't cycle unsuppressed subsonics.  There really isn't a practical reason to do so, so they tune the gas ports to keep supersonics from being overgassed.

It runs suppressed subs through supers fantastic.  The 1:8 twist seems to do quite well across this wide variety of loads.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:49:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I dont plan on running subsonic. So can I ask is this round worth the change. It seems to be what the ar should have been. But ballistic wise is it worth it. Will a double tap of 77gr nosler otm even the score lol.  I have not seen any wound ballitics on this round yet. I guess I need to start comparing.
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:40:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:06:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
To the OP,
When WC mentions our 300BLK barrels being optimized for Subsonic loads, we are referring to the 1/8 twist( which is what everyone that comes to mind is using).

With others optimizing for subsonic by enlarging their gas ports, maybe you could specify the 1/8 twist is optimized for stabilizing subsonics on your website.  That will get away from the concern that supersonic loads will be overgassed in your barrels as they would be in other subsonic "optimized" barrels.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:36:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
...I am looking at the wilson barrels, but they say optimized for subsonic loads, I am assuming they will run good with super sonic loads...

I have 2 Wilson 300BLK barrels, both 16", 1 a recon wt, the other an early lightweight contour. Both run supers perfectly. Good stuff.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#17]
So would you guys say this round is defently worth the little cost and effort to step up from the 77gr otm. For hd use hunting all around round. I never plan on shooting past 200 yards.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I hear alot of good things about the DSA. Ive asked them alot of questions about the upper recievers.  They seem knowledgeable and more than happy to answer anything you ask.
they turn their own barrels from blanks...or buy them from montana rifleman.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I am planning going with a wilson barrel.

trying to figure out acouple things.

I cant find a low profile gas block and it dont look like wilson comes with one.  Can I use the gas block on my 5.56?
Cant find much info on this.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Depends on your 556 barrel diameter. Quality gas blocks can be found for less then $40-50 so I wouldnt worry about it too much. I like the troy offering.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Not to hijack but is there a good place to look at gas size options and uses.

Pistol vs Carbine?

Just getting started looking so not exactly sure what my plans are just that I want a 300AAC
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Is changing to .300 BO any different ballistically than changing to 7.62x39? Not according to Remington, the supersonic performance is claimed to be equal. Does that make the AR everything it should be?

There's another Remington cartridge that is faster, with more footpounds of force, already on  the market. It's got dozens of ammo suppliers with stuff on the shelf ready to ship. New is interesting, but not always what you need.

.300BO might sell a bit cheaper, but it won't ever go as low as 4.50 a box like 5.56. Only one alternate caliber is picked for cheap -.22. The rest get the nod for better downrange performance on LIVE targets.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:40:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is changing to .300 BO any different ballistically than changing to 7.62x39? Not according to Remington, the supersonic performance is claimed to be equal. Does that make the AR everything it should be?

There's another Remington cartridge that is faster, with more footpounds of force, already on  the market. It's got dozens of ammo suppliers with stuff on the shelf ready to ship. New is interesting, but not always what you need.

.300BO might sell a bit cheaper, but it won't ever go as low as 4.50 a box like 5.56. Only one alternate caliber is picked for cheap -.22. The rest get the nod for better downrange performance on LIVE targets.

tirod,

This is a thread on questions on the 300 BLK.

We get it already you love the 6.8 and can't stand to see so many people going to the blackout so you have to come over to every thread and hijack it into another 6.8 vs BLK.

I know it kills you to see the widespread adoption with the incredible and ever increasing manufacture support for a round that is under two years old is already threatening a much older round. I can understand your resentment towards a round that is fast becoming the number one AR alternative. I can see the pain it must cause you to imagine your precious 6.8 dethroned and have Remington which dropped the 6.8 only to come out with full support for the blackout.

This must be why many in the 6.8 community are acting like red headed step children in their hatred for the 300BLK. I don't see the 6.5, 450 socom, 5.45, beowulf, 25-223, 264 LBC, 458, ect. guys on here constantly trying to belittle the blackout. The 7.62 X 40 have even calmed down and the closest round to the blackout the 7.62X39 guys don't come over to all the blackout threads just to put their little jab in. This phenomenon almost exclusively comes from the 6.8 crowd.

So please as you can even see on this AR-15 forum that is heavily dominated by the entrenched 6.8 shooter that even with your constant digs on the blackout just look at the number of threads dedicated to the blackout compared to the 6.8 and tell me this is just a fad.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top