Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/28/2011 8:39:09 PM EDT
I am starting a new build and want to do a 458 Socom. The problem is getting a barrel for the thing. Does anyone know who sells 458 barrels? RRA will only sell uppers. I want to customize my own upper. I have been on the 458socom forum and still cant find anything. I had posted this question in another area but did not come up with any leads.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I know Marty uses Pac Nor blanks BUT he final finished them, machining Chambers etc, Might want to give SBR a call
and ask them
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I have tried to contact SBR but have had no luck via email or phone.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:43:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep in mind you're gonna need a .458 bolt and you'll have to open up the ejection port.

I'm not trying to dissuade you. You're level of skill and access to tools may be much greater than mine, but I'd just have one built for me by SBR (or wait for Marty to come back) or buy one from RRA. If you go with RRA, you could always sell the leftover parts on the EE. I've been contemplating this route myself.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:56:13 PM EDT
[#4]
What born2 said is correct.  You need a bolt and to have the ejection port opend to the proper dimensions.

Thats why most companies only sell complete uppers.

You also need to spring the rifle properly...

Check out this link: http://www.tactical-life.com/online/exclusives/red-creek-tactical-tomahawk-cqtc/?hp=exclusives_title

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What born2 said is correct.  You need a bolt and to have the ejection port opend to the proper dimensions.

Thats why most companies only sell complete uppers.

You also need to spring the rifle properly...

Check out this link: http://www.tactical-life.com/online/exclusives/red-creek-tactical-tomahawk-cqtc/?hp=exclusives_title

Suppressed 600gr subs would be tits!
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:18:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Sub-Sonic Suppressed is a lot of fun to hunt and shoot.  I started with 510gr, then went with Rem 405gr because of cost.  The 405gr subs will go all the way through 200lb + hogs and knocks them down.  The bullet impact is as loud as the gun.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:42:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Keep in mind you're gonna need a .458 bolt and you'll have to open up the ejection port.

I'm not trying to dissuade you. You're level of skill and access to tools may be much greater than mine, but I'd just have one built for me by SBR (or wait for Marty to come back) or buy one from RRA. If you go with RRA, you could always sell the leftover parts on the EE. I've been contemplating this route myself.

At the rate things are going here, that could take a while - as of Tuesday I have been advised to get my travel documents for two more countries in the region and that I might be here at least an additional year...

SBR should have their first batch of barrels in, but they have also been 'blessed' with a boat load of 'official business' that has pulled them away from the shop.... we're working on getting you guys some relief and making barrels, bolts, etc more available but it has been slow going (and it is difficult to move it along from over here...)
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:48:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have entered into this project well educated and dont see any problems with it. I have built over a dozen AR's in multiple calibers. I have the upper all opened up already and set to go. The 458 Socom bolt is on the way from RRA as we speak. Also headed to me is a Wolf buffer spring. The only hold back i have is the barrel it's self. I am good but not good enough to make a barrel from a blank. It's is my draw the line point.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:21:27 AM EDT
[#9]
you could just buy the RRA upper and sell off the parts you don't want/need in the EE or on GB as previously mentioned..

ETA: that's the way I would do it
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:25:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I just dont like the idea of having to buy a whole upper just for the barrel. Everything else i already have. I really am a roll you own type and like things a specific way. The parts wouldnt be that easy to sell also because someone else that buys the upper would run into the same problem. Dam i need a barrel.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:24:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have entered into this project well educated and dont see any problems with it. I have built over a dozen AR's in multiple calibers. I have the upper all opened up already and set to go. The 458 Socom bolt is on the way from RRA as we speak. Also headed to me is a Wolf buffer spring. The only hold back i have is the barrel it's self. I am good but not good enough to make a barrel from a blank. It's is my draw the line point.

Well, I guess all my fretting was for naught. As Marty said above, SBR should have those barrels soon. I'm unaware of any other source. The gentlemen over at http://www.458socomforums.com/ might be able to help a little more.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Is there a how to / how much thread on the 458 ejection port mod?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I havent seen one but it would have been real nice.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I havent seen one but it would have been real nice.

there's this..doesn't go into the details of the bevel on the inside of the port
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I guess all my fretting was for naught. As Marty said above, SBR should have those barrels soon. I'm unaware of any other source. The gentlemen over at http://www.458socomforums.com/ might be able to help a little more.

are they just using RRA barrels?....I ask because I noticed they a sell the RRA uppers
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

are they just using RRA barrels?....I ask because I noticed they a sell the RRA uppers

I dont think they are as i asked RRA to sell me just a barrel and they said they would not. I guess it is possible though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#17]
MGI sells .458 SOCOM barrels from their online store.  The barrels are for their hydra rifles, but IIRC they used to claim that the barrels could be used in standard style ar platform rifles.  They are currently out of stock, but that may be a place to watch.  The site also mentions that these barrels were designed with the help of the original designer of the cartridge, perhaps Marty could shed some light on these barrels.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#18]
We have a 500 grain sub-sonic frangible we are doing with SBR.

Here is a link to the video.  

Enjoy

-Ernie

http://www.facebook.com/pages/David-Bahde/176006249130360?closeTheater=1

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
there's this..doesn't go into the details of the bevel on the inside of the port
http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/25767/33343.JPG

The version I got from Marty had notes to change the top cut to 0.015" so allow for function of the port door, and changed the bottom to 0.100 for clearance. That's the info I gave my local machinist and it works just fine on both counts. I haven't seen anything about bevels on the inside.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:09:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I have 3 ARs in .458S, two uppers were modified by Marty and I did the third to mirror what Marty had done.  The two Marty did are beveled on the inside, to and bottom, I suppose to funnel the round out the port and so are the LR-308 ports done on the .470 Rhino, .500 Phantom, and 358 HDH.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 1:37:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
MGI sells .458 SOCOM barrels from their online store.  The barrels are for their hydra rifles, but IIRC they used to claim that the barrels could be used in standard style ar platform rifles.  They are currently out of stock, but that may be a place to watch.  The site also mentions that these barrels were designed with the help of the original designer of the cartridge, perhaps Marty could shed some light on these barrels.

We sold them 4 barrels several years back, CrMo in the white.  We're talking something like 5 years or so ago.  Not a single one since and any barrel that they might consider selling as .458 SOCOM is NOT cut with the proper reamer, nor made to the proper specifications... and would constitute trademark infringement.  Considering how they approach patent infringement on their Hydra system, I trust they respect trademarks...

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:52:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We sold them 4 barrels several years back, CrMo in the white.  We're talking something like 5 years or so ago.  Not a single one since and any barrel that they might consider selling as .458 SOCOM is NOT cut with the proper reamer, nor made to the proper specifications... and would constitute trademark infringement.  Considering how they approach patent infringement on their Hydra system, I trust they respect trademarks...

Thanks for the info Marty. I guess i will continue to hold out for SBR to get things done.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top