Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2011 5:27:36 AM EDT
So I am looking for a .308 comp for my DPMS AP4, and see that there are only a few options.

Battlecomp 308 - $220

FSC30 - $100

Vltor VC-301 - $55 (not sure if this is really a comp though)

Are there any other options? I love the Battlecomps for 5.56, but $220 is hard to swallow for a 308.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#1]
SureFire has great muzzle devices. I have not personally shot any, but have seen a bunch of people at the range with them Ranging from bolt guns to ARs. Even saw one on a CETME. They were all loud as fuck, but I asked and they all have said they love it. I have been in the market for something new as well, but Im not sure about the brake. I plan on doing some hunting, and I dont want my ears bleeding after one shot. Exaggeration of course, but not far from the truth.

Surefire, Smith Ent, I thik AAC makes some for 308. Check out Brownells too, they have some other stuff as well. One that looks cool is the Talon brake, I think its made by GoGun. I dont know how effective it would be, but it sure looks cool and looks as if it would be very effective. Judging on the pics of the ports and what not. There are alot of options out there. Surefire i believe sells almost all of theirs at the 150$ range. Smith is around the same as well, there's look pretty cool too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#2]
SJC titan is considered the best by quite a few.

I bought mine from Larue and it is awesome

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=471
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#3]
DPMS Miculek = $58
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I have no personal experience with the Primary Weapons Systems breaks, but I've seen a lot of YouTube videos demonstrating them. They look like they work great. I'm leaning towards getting one of them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 7:32:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

WOW! I just checked out some YouTube vids on the Titan and that is VERY impressive.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#6]
What the fuck? Why is there no videos of 308 comps/brakes? I have only been able to find videos of people using them on bolt guns. Maybe my google fu is not strong, but I have had absolutely no luck finding videos of 308 ARs reviewing muzzle devices. Like on SureFire's website, it has a link for videos on the 308 pages, but they take you to the 556 video. Same thing in regards to flash hiders. There has been no in depth videos of the 308 flash hiders. Not even the Vortex. Whats up with that?

Anyone know where one can find videos of the 308 brakes and flash hiders?
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 8:57:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WOW! I just checked out some YouTube vids on the Titan and that is VERY impressive.

Its kick ass on my MATEN 308 18" build. when I was shooting it my bud commented, that the barrel was not even rising at all.......with a 308 round ! most of the gas blast off to teh sides at an angle back. the tall grass next to me was getting blown down at the sides. others kinda noticed teh rifle just viberates in your hands rather than jump. the machine work is cool as hell and when you examine it,you can see why it works. this guy in the video,makes some points about a few that have studied comps. I use to think the bulgy74 brake was the cats ass,but this one wins for me. also I think Larue chose to stock it for a reason. btw...if you buy one get it from Larue. you'll get all kinds of goodies from that class act company. like larue "dillo dust" for grilling steak, a beverage entry tool,several cool OBR brochures, and a few bumber stickers!!  that was imptressive!

this is a 5.56 rifle,but at F/A.........still very cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Z2k6dFQh0

I see the guy did do a 308!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz5q5857WKY&feature=related

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#8]
ar15performance has some offerings, they are a vendor here as well
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I went with an SJC Titan for now.  Didn't want to spend $200 just to replace it later with a another muzzle device with built-in suppressor mount.

Link Posted: 9/1/2011 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have no personal experience with the Primary Weapons Systems breaks, but I've seen a lot of YouTube videos demonstrating them. They look like they work great. I'm leaning towards getting one of them.

I have one on a 5.56 gun and one on a 7.62x39mm gun.  They most certainly work.

They are also loud as fuck.

Not so much to the shooter, as the blast kind of whips around you like you are in a bubble.  
But if you are anywhere outside of that bubble good luck.

Or if you shoot in a stall.  Or in a blind.  Or...

You get the idea.
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I just saw that Spikes has the 308 Dynacomp, anyone used it yet?
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I went with one of these from JP enterprise.

JP also offers another brake that is supposed to be just as effective.  Not going to lie, I got it for the ridiculous look.
The other one
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its kick ass on my MATEN 308 18" build. when I was shooting it my bud commented, that the barrel was not even rising at all.......with a 308 round ! most of the gas blast off to teh sides at an angle back. the tall grass next to me was getting blown down at the sides. others kinda noticed teh rifle just viberates in your hands rather than jump. the machine work is cool as hell and when you examine it,you can see why it works. this guy in the video,makes some points about a few that have studied comps. I use to think the bulgy74 brake was the cats ass,but this one wins for me. also I think Larue chose to stock it for a reason. btw...if you buy one get it from Larue. you'll get all kinds of goodies from that class act company. like larue "dillo dust" for grilling steak, a beverage entry tool,several cool OBR brochures, and a few bumber stickers!!  that was imptressive!

this is a 5.56 rifle,but at F/A.........still very cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Z2k6dFQh0

I see the guy did do a 308!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz5q5857WKY&feature=related

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x412/lanewhite1937/MEGA4.jpg

Yup, those were the videos I found too. That muzzle didn't seem to move at all

Very cool MA-TEN! ! ! I just finished building one today.

Rifle Length monolithic upper, Noveske 21" barrel and Magpul PRS stock.

Link Posted: 9/2/2011 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry, but I do not see the need for brakes on anything under a magnum calibler.  If you just have to have something above an A2 flash suppressor, then consider a Battlecomp or Spike's new Dynacomp.  The Dynacomp comes in long and short versions.  The short versions will work with their sound suppressor.  That would be the only reason I'd get one.
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sorry, but I do not see the need for brakes on anything under a magnum calibler.  If you just have to have something above an A2 flash suppressor, then consider a Battlecomp or Spike's new Dynacomp.  The Dynacomp comes in long and short versions.  The short versions will work with their sound suppressor.  That would be the only reason I'd get one.

Right, because quicker follow up shots is never a bonus
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the 308 link, I dont know how I missed that one. Its something atleast, I would still like to see some comparison videos like how they do for the flash hiders on Brownells but for 308.

I like what one poster said about how it feels you are in a bubble that the sound goes around. I can see how thats a good analogy. I have only been next to people with brakes and comps, so I only have the displeasure of being the next stall guy.

A comp/brake seems like a good idea for the 308, but for some reason I feel the need to stick with flash suppression. I need to see more comparison videos. Its hard to make this kind of choice, because you can drop 50-300$ on a brake, end up really hating it. Its hard to go by what that guy says, because he could be getting kick backs, or got free cool shit from Larue, its capitalism. I need to see results before I take anybody's word on it. Thats just me though, I dont like it when I spend cold hard cash on something I end up hating, I really need to know before I drop the cash.

BUT, it did seem to work pretty well. But you also have to take into consideration, he may be a pro, and can hold his gun steady like that without the comp/brake, so thats what really makes me skeptical. I need to see average joe videos, maybe if I get this oil rig job Ill invest in some uppers to slap different brakes on and do some vids. Me being single without kids, really frees up my budget. So heres to hoping!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#17]
check out the spikes dynacomp .308
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A comp/brake seems like a good idea for the 308, but for some reason I feel the need to stick with flash suppression. I need to see more comparison videos. Its hard to make this kind of choice, because you can drop 50-300$ on a brake, end up really hating it. Its hard to go by what that guy says, because he could be getting kick backs, or got free cool shit from Larue, its capitalism. I need to see results before I take anybody's word on it. Thats just me though, I dont like it when I spend cold hard cash on something I end up hating, I really need to know before I drop the cash.

If you don't like it, put it up on the EE.  Someone will take it off of your hands for a little off of retail.  Consider the $20 or so difference a "rental" fee for getting to test it.  No reason to be stuck with the hate!
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 6:08:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Very true, I always forget about the EE. I have not sold anything on it yet, or bought from it. So I think thats why it keeps slipping from my mind. Thanks for the advice, and I completely agree with the "rental fee" approach. Surefire sells them for 150new, and Im sure someone would pay $120 or so for a used one in good condition. We will see, I hope I get this oil rig job, and my gun closet will become full in no time.
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#20]
It amazes me how much some of these brakes cost!!!!
They are making a killing off the battle comps!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2011 4:49:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Armalite brake works well.
Link Posted: 9/11/2011 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#22]
SJC Titan.
I have it and being a medium framed guy, shooting 308  168 grain is "Manageable"
I use this for Heavy Metal matches in 3 Gun and we are shooting targets all the way to 400 yds and mostly medium and closer targets are hosing
this comp makes shooting the 308 something i can live with. my 223 are all JP tanks brakes (Open class) so I am spoiled with minimal recoil.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top