Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/1/2011 7:40:27 AM EDT
What are the top barrel manufactures for the 6.8 SPC II?  I am looking to build one and just curious on everyone's opinion.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 7:54:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Most barrels are made by 2 or 3 companies you never hear of, the ones you hear of are assembly companies or parts houses.
All makers can make good barrels it is how the the specs are written that make the barrel good or bad.
I would stay away from barrels with 9.5 twist, 10 is ok, 11-12 is better.
I would stay away from barrels with a 1/2-28 muzzle thread on a 6.8, 6.5 or 7.62x39
Many parts houses do not inspect the barrels at all and send out many with bad crowns, even some of the big name(high dollar CHF) barrels in 5.56 have bad crowns.
The real barrel makers- Shaw, Wilson Arms(not wilson Combat), Shilen, PacNor/Noveske,
Prices are all over the board but a $400 barrel doesn't always out shoot a $200 barrel.
As for companies selling those barrels check out 68forums.com
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Why do you say to stay away from the 1/2-28 muzzle thread?  Because of getting a bad crown on those?
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why do you say to stay away from the 1/2-28 muzzle thread?  Because of getting a bad crown on those?

Just like on the 5.56 if you relieve too much metal around the bore it allows the bore to expand an lets the bullet wobble as it exits the muzzle.
A 5.56 bore should be .218 but on most 5.56s you can slide a .219 inspection pin in the bore apx 3/4" before it stops. The same length as the threads.
The bore of a 6.5, 6.8 or 7.62x39 makes the problem worse due to the thinner wall around the bore.

Bad crowns are caused by bad tool alignment in the crowning process like most CHF barrels I have seen or a dull carbide insert and then NO inspection by the barrel maker or company selling them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 9:32:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Ahh I got you.... Thanks for the input
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I would also agree w/ the prior post, if you need muzzle threads do not go less than 5/8 diameter.

You can try BHW they make excellent barrels for the AR-15 at a very fair price Including the 6.8 SPC Spec II caliber.

They Inspect EVERY barrel before it leaves the shop...The cowns on my BHW barrels are always top rate.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I would seriously suggest reading up in the 6.8 FAQ thread, and then head over to the 68forums to check out the info there as well...

As far as barrels go, Noveske, Bison, ARP, Wilson Combat and many others sell quality barrels from several barrel manufacturers.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I have checked out the FAQs ... I just kinda wanted some people's opinion on it.  I like the Noveske Stainless 18"  W/Switchblock but seems a bit pricey.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have checked out the FAQs ... I just kinda wanted some people's opinion on it.  I like the Noveske Stainless 18"  W/Switchblock but seems a bit pricey.

Tell me what your 99% of usage for this barrel is, and I'll give you the best bang for the buck barrel...
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Well price isn't a huge issue for me but its always gonna be some sort of factor.  Typically it will be just for target shooting on at shorter ranges but I want to bring it to a long range and have good performance as well.  I also want the ability to run a suppressor.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#10]
If you are looking for a SPCII and 11 twist 4 groove barrel  the barrels used by Bison, AR Performance and Wilson Combat are exactly the same, same rifling button and reamers used by the same barrel manufacturer.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you are looking for a SPCII and 11 twist 4 groove barrel  the barrels used by Bison, AR Performance and Wilson Combat are exactly the same, same rifling button and reamers used by the same barrel manufacturer.

That was going to be my suggestion.  I have an 18" Bison barreled upper (a tack driver), and 10.5" Noveske upper...
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Tim_W & QuicksilverJPR!!!
What are the thoughts on this barrel?

http://www.ar15performance.com/barrels_and_bolt_barrel_combos

6.8x43 18" premium stainless barrel & bolt combo

Price: $420.00  
Only 5 S-Carb finish left.

A premium grade 18" stainless barrel, bore is lapped, our 6.8x43 match chamber, 5R rifling, mid length gas system.

.800/.700 contour, 5/8-24 threaded muzzle with 11 degree target crown, combo includes a 9310 alloy bolt and shipping.

Firing pin and cam pin NOT included

Don't believe the hype, anyone can call any barrel a "match" barrel or "ultra match" what ever that is but are they really a match grade barrel? One look with a bore scope will seperate the used car salesman of the firearms industry from the truth.

Only 17 available.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#13]
his barrels easily shoot .5 groups
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I was actually just about to start a thread similar to this one.  I have also read the FAQ, but my bottom line is this.  I want a barrel for a "duty" or "working" type gun.  Think general purpose, with a high volume of shooting and most of it being done from 0 to 300.  The specs I'm thinking are:

-16" Mid-length gas system
-Chrome Lined
-SPC II
-Prefer 1:11 twist, but 1:10 will work
-Prefer 4 groove rifling, but that will not be a deciding factor (the above four points will be)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#15]
my 1:10 barrels will blow primers and show signs of overpressure with combat loads
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was actually just about to start a thread similar to this one.  I have also read the FAQ, but my bottom line is this.  I want a barrel for a "duty" or "working" type gun.  Think general purpose, with a high volume of shooting and most of it being done from 0 to 300.  The specs I'm thinking are:

-16" Mid-length gas system
-Chrome Lined
-SPC II
-Prefer 1:11 twist, but 1:10 will work
-Prefer 4 groove rifling, but that will not be a deciding factor (the above four points will be)

Thanks!

Forget the chrome lining in a 6.8, you are asking for trouble.
Melonite treated barrels are 70 Rockwell, it is not a coating it is a heat treat that makes the material 70 rockwell thicker than chrome lining can be.
Melonite barrels should last twice as long as stainless barrels and are just as corrosion resistant.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A premium grade 18" stainless barrel, bore is lapped, our 6.8x43 match chamber, 5R rifling, mid length gas system.

.800/.700 contour, 5/8-24 threaded muzzle with 11 degree target crown, combo includes a 9310 alloy bolt and shipping.

Don't believe the hype, anyone can call any barrel a "match" barrel or "ultra match" what ever that is but are they really a match grade barrel? One look with a bore scope will seperate the used car salesman of the firearms industry from the truth.

Only 17 available.

It might seem high but you will defintley get what you pay for. H's regular bbls are nice, his match bbls are no joke.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only 17 available.

It might seem high but you will defintley get what you pay for. H's regular bbls are nice, his match bbls are no joke.

These may be dumb questions regarding that barrel but ...
-What is the bore diameter for the gas block?
-What is the twist?
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only 17 available.

These may be dumb questions regarding that barrel but ...
-What is the bore diameter for the gas block? 0.750
-What is the twist?  1:11.25

Link Posted: 8/2/2011 12:51:19 AM EDT
[#20]
You can get a real match barrel from Rainier Arms for less money that will out shoot any 6.8 barrel made.

The premium barrels ARP is selling are lapped Wilson Arms barrels, great barrels and just like the ones WOA uses but made with ARP's rifling and chamber, they seen high not to be a true match barrels like a Shilen or Kreiger but they do come with a bolt so that makes up for some of the cost.

I would get the Shilen 6.8 barrel and not look back, I have two of them and they are lasers.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 4:44:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Could you explain that?  I've never heard anything like that for any caliber.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 5:34:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I like the lwrc, arperformance, and  wilson are the ones I like

you have to be careful cause some parrot the twist and stop there.  There is so much more to your barrel choice than just twist, you are building/buying a system and like any system, you want it all to match for optimum performance

cold, break down the rifle that is blowing primers to me.  I'll bet it's not the barrel but your throat or something else unless you own a noveske which prompted the change from combat to tac loads as the old noveske 1/10 and lmt barrels had issues with them.

Link Posted: 8/2/2011 5:36:31 AM EDT
[#23]
for the record, I own an lwrc and an arp so I may be biased with those pics but all my research etc pointed me in that direction.

you can't buy the barrel from lwrc, you would have to buy the whole upper.  Arp sells just the barrels and you get to deal with the owner who is a superb cat!
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 5:47:18 AM EDT
[#24]
I have 4 arps and only one barret I traded to other one so I might be a little biased

Link Posted: 8/2/2011 7:21:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could you explain that?  I've never heard anything like that for any caliber.

Kotonics went out of business due to some thick chrome lining in the 6.8 several years ago.
It adds to the bore surface decreasing bore area which increases pressure.
It is not as accurate as a Melonite barrel of the same quality.
A melonite treated barrel will last twice as long as a stainless barrel.

There are production grade barrels on the market capable of shooting 1/2" groups.
Is it worth buying a "match grade" barrel for $100 or $200 more to get an 1/8" better group if that, most shooters can't shoot well enough to tell the difference.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
for the record, I own an lwrc and an arp so I may be biased with those pics but all my research etc pointed me in that direction.

you can't buy the barrel from lwrc, you would have to buy the whole upper.  Arp sells just the barrels and you get to deal with the owner who is a superb cat!

Yep. Dealt with him when building my upper. Nice guy. He'll answer any questions you've got.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Only 17 available.

I am guessing that this barrel doesn't have the m4 feed ramps??
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 1:17:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only 17 available.

"All of our barrels have M4 feed ramps, cam pin and firing pin NOT included."
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 1:56:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only 17 available.

6.8 has a lower center axis than the 5.56 as it sits in a magazine.

You want the M4 feed ramps.

You NEED those M4 feed ramps.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top