Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/28/2011 9:01:37 PM EDT
I've been considering building a .308 AR. I would like to do a lightweight carbine. If I decide to go through with this, I think I want to use one of the CMMG lowers that takes G3 mags, because I already have plenty of those and not having to drop $200 on a combat load of new mags would be preferable. I've handled the Bushmaster ORC .308, and I like the weight. But I like the MOE .308 they do better because it has an FSB. They say it only weighs about 7 lbs, which is where I want this to be at or less, otherwise I've got other rifles that fit the bill.  

So far, the best idea I've come up with is to get the CMMG lower, and then an upper from Bushmaster. Unfortunately, they don't have uppers, or barrels listed separately yet.

Any other ideas?

So basically, here are my perimeters for a carbine:

1)It needs to weigh 7lbs or less empty.
2)It needs to use G3 or possibly FAL mags
3)I want it to have a regular FSB and a forward assist on the upper
4)I don't want it to cost me the rights to my first born (i.e. less than $1500 total)
5) I would prefer to build it myself rather than buy a rifle
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Wrong forum. You want AR Variants. This is for ArmaLite products.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:24:09 AM EDT
[#2]
oops...
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#3]
That is a tall, if not impossible order.  Let us know how it works out.  I am interested to see what parts go into it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:53:47 AM EDT
[#4]
1)It needs to weigh 7lbs or less empty.

That's the hard part.

I see basic DPMS 16" rifles on Gunbroker as low as $800, a possible starting point.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:10:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't the CMMG G3 lowers only accept DPMS .308 uppers?  I plan on building an AR ,308 also and really like the G3 magazine option.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:17:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Don't the CMMG G3 lowers only accept DPMS .308 uppers?  I plan on building an AR ,308 also and really like the G3 magazine option.

CMMG G3 lower with a DPMS A4-style upper.  The rest is just "buy the lightest thing you can find"

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#7]
hmmm well I guess we'll just have to see what we can come up with
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top