Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 7:26:22 PM EDT
Just wondering what barrel lenght on my current LR-308 build will be best for me. I plan to use this rifle to hunt in the Texas hill country, lots of hill and rocky terrian. I plan to hunt axis deer and hogs of ranges of 150yrds and up. I don't want a bull barrel design. Thinking of either a 18" or 20". Would like to hear your opnions.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Check a previous post on about 3-4-11 from Space_Weazle I believe (named "308 barrel length")... 16" will go out to 500 yds pretty easily and accurate, but most want 18" with extra weight imo.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:13:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I think its a personal decision and what is best for me may not be best for you.

Given the same diameter a shorter barrel will be lighter and easier to handle in thick stuff, but give you less velocity.

So you need to decide which is more important.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:42:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd go 18" which is more than enough for hunting ranges.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:25:38 AM EDT
[#4]
18".
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top