Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/14/2011 4:12:47 PM EDT
Well I finally did it.  I put 10 rounds through my new rifle after 2 years of saving and buying parts.  It fed and ejected well the only issue was that the bolt will stay open on the last round but when the bolt release is pushed in with an empty mag still in the gun, the bolt closes.  I am guessing this is a mag issue.  I fired 10 fireforming rounds at 25 yards and the rifle was hitting low so I aimed for one spot for the last 7 rounds and you can cover all of them with a quarter.  I do not know the break in requirements for an AA barrel and hope that I did not hurt anything by firing those 10 rounds.  Thanks for all of the help.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#1]
cant wait until i can shoot my grendel when i get a free weekend. the last time i shot mine i was covering my groups with a quarter also.  its so fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:28:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I do not know the break in requirements for an AA barrel and hope that I did not hurt anything by firing those 10 rounds.  Thanks for all of the help.

Load ammo.

Shoot ammo.

Repeat.

Your barrel is broken in.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Which AA barrel (length, button vs. cut rifled) did you use as well as ammo? I'm considering the AA barrel/bolt combo myself. Congrats on your successful shoot!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:02:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well I finally did it.  I put 10 rounds through my new rifle after 2 years of saving and buying parts. It fed and ejected well the only issue was that the bolt will stay open on the last round but when the bolt release is pushed in with an empty mag still in the gun, the bolt closes.  I am guessing this is a mag issue.  I fired 10 fireforming rounds at 25 yards and the rifle was hitting low so I aimed for one spot for the last 7 rounds and you can cover all of them with a quarter.  I do not know the break in requirements for an AA barrel and hope that I did not hurt anything by firing those 10 rounds.  Thanks for all of the help.

I'm confussed isn't that how it is meant to function
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Must be a typo b/c yes, that's correct function.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Let me just say it again in case the OP didn't believe you guys.  THAT IS NORMAL FUNCTION for an AR.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I finally did it.  I put 10 rounds through my new rifle after 2 years of saving and buying parts. It fed and ejected well the only issue was that the bolt will stay open on the last round but when the bolt release is pushed in with an empty mag still in the gun, the bolt closes.  I am guessing this is a mag issue.  I fired 10 fireforming rounds at 25 yards and the rifle was hitting low so I aimed for one spot for the last 7 rounds and you can cover all of them with a quarter.  I do not know the break in requirements for an AA barrel and hope that I did not hurt anything by firing those 10 rounds.  Thanks for all of the help.

Imagine that, you hit the bolt release and it releases the bolt.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Imagine that, you hit the bolt release and it releases the bolt.  

Sounds like a feature to me.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:18:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I was wrong.  I thought it was not working right.  I guess I was a little tired when I posted it.  The rifle ran great and shot well.  I need to reload some more ammo.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I recently got an S.A.S.S. in 6.5 Grendel (actually, it's chambered in .264 LBC) but I've been firing Hornady 123grain A-MAX.  Freaking love it. There was gust of 20mph at full-value... I can't waiit for a better day to fire it. There is no doubt in my mind that it's an 1100 meter performer. Now, if I can just get ahold of some land with that kind of range.
Awesome round.

Congrats!
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Which AA barrel (length, button vs. cut rifled) did you use as well as ammo? I'm considering the AA barrel/bolt combo myself. Congrats on your successful shoot!

Worth noting:  AA does not make their own barrels, they simply license the chambering specs to barrel manufacturers.  

Why it's important:  Not all of the available options are listed on AA's site, nor does AA sell/stock all of the available options.

If you have a specific length and type of barrel in mind, chances are that someone, somewhere makes it.

I got my 20" stainless Satern (licensed by AA) from Midway.  It's A++ super extra very nice.

Sabre also makes/made excellent barrels in 16, 18, and 20" lengths in both stainless and carbon steel.  
Not sure how the recent going-out-of-business sale has affected supply, though, so if you want a Sabre barrel and find one, you'd be wise to buy it ASAP.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top