Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2010 8:56:01 PM EDT
This upper seems to be marketed toward Hunters I'm guessing it'd make an excellent medium range
precision rifle? Could some of our 6.8 gurus explain the effective range of this rifle/cartridge combination?

I'm looking to obtain a medium range precision rig for punching paper out to 500-700 yards and
medium size game, white tail at medium range, I'm deciding between this offering from Stag
and a Armalite AR-10 match rifle. I know the 308 is a better choice but am not a fan of the weight
and having to support a different platform.

Or should I just stick with my 5.56 SPR-12 type set up? What say the arfcom hive mind?

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=14_23&products_id=317
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This upper seems to be marketed toward Hunters I'm guessing it'd make an excellent medium range
precision rifle? Could some of our 6.8 gurus explain the effective range of this rifle/cartridge combination?

I'm looking to obtain a medium range precision rig for punching paper out to 500-700 yards and
medium size game, white tail at medium range, I'm deciding between this offering from Stag
and a Armalite AR-10 match rifle. I know the 308 is a better choice but am not a fan of the weight

Or should I just stick with my 5.56 SPR-12 type set up? What say the arfcom hive mind?

You understand the "ethical" kill range for cartridges like this is about 300 yards, right?

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#2]

I do sir, I almost wrote 300 yards max for hunting, will likely never even get a shot that far.

500-700 was for paper punching. Appreciate further comments. Thanks!

Quoted:
Quoted:

You understand the "ethical" kill range for cartridges like this is about 300 yards, right?

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I do sir, I almost wrote 300 yards max for hunting, will likely never even get a shot that far.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, as for punching paper, I'm not sure at those ranges.  The farthest I have been able to "stretch" the 6.8 is 400 yards, and it's plenty accurate...

It's probably capable of being a 600 yard type target gun, but not with the currently available selection of bullets and their moderate BCs...
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Watching this thread with interest, saw the Stag upper and wondered about it as well.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Maybe I'll just stick with 5.56 then, since better for target and is ok for white tail at
200 yards or less. I have a .308 that can cover the other needs I guess.  

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, as for punching paper, I'm not sure at those ranges.  The farthest I have been able to "stretch" the 6.8 is 400 yards, and it's plenty accurate...

It's probably capable of being a 600 yard type target gun, but not with the currently available selection of bullets and their moderate BCs...

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:49:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm interested in one too as a hunting rifle, but $500+ for an upper is so 2009.  Hopefully the price will drop.  It would be fun to hunt deer with a 7 pound .270 AR that has roughly the same point blank range as my '06.

As far as punching paper at 600 yards, I don' think the 6.8 does anything the 5.56 can't.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:41:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
As far as punching paper at 600 yards, I don' think the 6.8 does anything the 5.56 can't.

Paper?  Not really.  The 6.8 can do what the 5.56 does, only with a shorter barrel.  And just missing the X ring with a 5.56 - that same shot with a 6.8 makes the hit (but you can argue that a larger caliber then would be better still..)

However if you shoot steel Pepper Poppers the 6.8 will knock them down at that distance, while the 5.56 just makes a small 'tink'.

That part is definitely true...
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want a longer range AR15 cartridge and are looking at the 6.8, you are barking up the wrong tree. 6.8 is an SBR/Carbine cartridge and it performs great in that role. In a long rang/SPR role, it is more capable than a 5.56 but far less capable than the 6.5Grendel, which is easily capable at ranges around 700-1000 yards, depending on the load, due to the higher BC of the pills.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:27:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, easily capable of punching paper, but it won't have enough energy left at those distances for ethical kills.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes, easily capable of punching paper, but it won't have enough energy left at those distances for ethical kills.

It has plenty for varmint shooting. If you can hit a PDog or Yote with it, at any range it will make a kill and if you are shooting 2 legged varmints then you aren't really worried a whole lot about making an ethical kill but rather stopping the threat, or at longer ranges, about hindering activity.

I wouldn't hunt game animals beyond ethical ranges for the cartridge, but for any other purpose the 6.5 will exceed the 6.8 when used out of a barrel longer than 16".
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 5:53:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has plenty for varmint shooting. If you can hit a PDog or Yote with it, at any range it will make a kill and if you are shooting 2 legged varmints then you aren't really worried a whole lot about making an ethical kill but rather stopping the threat, or at longer ranges, about hindering activity.

I wouldn't hunt game animals beyond ethical ranges for the cartridge, but for any other purpose the 6.5 will exceed the 6.8 when used out of a barrel longer than 16".

The 6.5 is limited to the same effective range for big game as the 6.8.  That's just the way it is.  Not enough case capacity to drive the bullets to the next level of effectiveness (600 yards)...
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:06:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I love my 6.8's but if I were going past 300 yards I would look in to the grendel as well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I shoot both 5.56 and 6.8 out to 600 yards using 16" match-grade barrels.

Both do reasonably well, usually ~1-moa or less with select loads in calm conditions.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top