Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/8/2010 9:29:56 AM EDT
I had a DPMS LR for several years. It was nothing fancy really-24" factory barrel, stainless, fluted with a Rock River match trigger. It was an early gun with no dustcover which is one reason I sold it.... With Federal 308M it would do 3/4" all day long from the bench. Another reason I sold it because it was so damn heavy and I just wasn't shooting it anyplace but off the bench. My thinking was that I wanted a lighter weight rifle but one that will still reach 1,000.

I'm now thinking about replacing the rifle and I want one that is equally as accurate- that will shoot to the grand  accurately but with alot less weight than my old gun.

My first thought was that I need a carbon fiber handguard. I don't want a mile of rails- a few would be nice-something like the JP.....Old gun had a solid aluminum handguard. The barrel is where I really think I should be able to save some weight, old gun was 24" and HUGE. I am thinking something in 20-22", mid weight would shave quite a bit of weight.

Ideas?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#1]
R-25
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#2]
SR-25
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea, that SR25 EM is about what I'm looking for......
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:34:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Armalite AR-10 with an 18 inch quality barrel and a free float tube.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:04:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Replace the 24" barrel with an 18" from Marty ask for midweight, replace the handguard with JP/VTAC, or carbon fiber. Done

Might take a while though, unless Marty's in the middle of a run of the same spec.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:48:20 PM EDT
[#7]
You might look at the ITS-12 uppers from AR15performance.com too.  They are DPMS pattern so they will fit a DPMS lower but the whole upper is much lighter.  You might be able to build one fairly light and still keep a medium to heavy 20" barrel.  

BTW, you can shoot 1000 with a 16" provided it is a quality barrel and you use the right load like 168gr GMM.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:32:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Not really an Armalite guy, I suppose I should have mentioned that. I already have over a dozen DPMS pattern mags that I would like to use- they really seem to be the future of the .308 AR.....

Who is "Marty".....I assume he works for DPMS?

I will take a look at what ITS has as well.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:50:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:26:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not really an Armalite guy, I suppose I should have mentioned that. I already have over a dozen DPMS pattern mags that I would like to use- they really seem to be the future of the .308 AR.....

Who is "Marty".....I assume he works for DPMS?

I will take a look at what ITS has as well.

Thanks guys!

I prefer the SR25/DPMS pattern mags as well now that there is a .308 Pmag in that pattern but there is nothing wrong with an AR-10 either.  All my .308 AR's are DPMS so I'm not neutral on this issue.

The "Marty" he is referring to is probably MartyTW with Teppo Jutsu (http://www.teppojutsu.com/).  He is the inventor of the .458 SOCOM and does very nice custom rifles.  He can build you pretty much anything you want.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top