Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 3:57:32 PM EDT
Anyone with an ACOG (the versions with a 308 reticle) on their 308 AR?
Reviews please!  Especially at ranges over 100 yards.
I found one review here

More please, especially if you are using the TA648 ACOG.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I am also interested in this optic.  The main downside appears to be the massive size and weight.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I looked into the TA648, I decided against it because it is so damn big and heavy. I believe it is also calibrated for 762 Nato, which I wont be using for longer distances.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I went with the TA11 red horseshoe model to put on my LMT.  Never had any experience with ACOGs and I'll have to say it's built like a tank.  I zeroed the center dot at 100 meters and shoot steel out to 500 meters with pretty good consistency using the ranging reticle.  They cost a nut, but overall I'm very pleased with my decision for this particular rifle.  Here's a quick pic of the setup...

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#4]
There is some ballistics info in the AR10 forum in the FAQ for the TA11E

I use the TA11E on a 16 AR10, I zap a 18" gong at 500 yards all day long, just put the cross on the target and pull trigger.

Not as precise as a scope, but the quickness of a "point and shoot" optics that gets chest shots all day long is hard to beat.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried a 31F on a Armalite AR10, but often had the ACOG kiss my face while shooting the Armalite.

Running an 01B on a LMT.  So far no issues, however I haven't tried longer ranges yet.  Shooting clay pigeons(on a birm) at close range is fast and easy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm using a TA648MGO-308.  It is heavy but after using it no other optic looks the same.  Huge field of view, crystal clear, accurate BDC out to 600 yards using my hand loads.  I started noticing creep around 500 and if i had the range and time to tailor loads I could probably factor an absolute compensation out to maybe 800-1,000.  I am loading SMK 168's for paper and Nosler 168 Ballistic Tips for hunting.  Both have an identical SD of 0.490 and close BC of .462/.490 respectively which allows me to maintain an identical zero when switching from range to hunting.  (Hunting where I live is never beyond 250 yards unlike the Mid-West where I grew up.)  Is the optic overkill?  Yes.  Any regrets? None so far.

7.62 rifles are heavier anyway and when you add on a 2.5lb scope, even more so.  I will however never sell this optic.

Which ever optic you go with, make sure you get the LaRue (or similar if one exists) with the levers on the right side so there is less chance of snagging on gear as you carry.

I also have a TA11H and really enjoy it but it just isn't the same.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm using a TA648MGO-308.  It is heavy but after using it no other optic looks the same.  Huge field of view, crystal clear, accurate BDC out to 600 yards using my hand loads.  I started noticing creep around 500 and if i had the range and time to tailor loads I could probably factor an absolute compensation out to maybe 800-1,000.  I am loading SMK 168's for paper and Nosler 168 Ballistic Tips for hunting.  Both have an identical SD of 0.490 and close BC of .462/.490 respectively which allows me to maintain an identical zero when switching from range to hunting.  (Hunting where I live is never beyond 250 yards unlike the Mid-West where I grew up.)  Is the optic overkill?  Yes.  Any regrets? None so far.

7.62 rifles are heavier anyway and when you add on a 2.5lb scope, even more so.  I will however never sell this optic.

Which ever optic you go with, make sure you get the LaRue (or similar if one exists) with the levers on the right side so there is less chance of snagging on gear as you carry.

I also have a TA11H and really enjoy it but it just isn't the same.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/4858496811_b7e6b3422f_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/4855421940_8b76b440c9_b.jpg

Thanks for that, very helpful.  That will be my next optic, for the AR-10s and the PKM (if I ever get the damn thing built)
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top