Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/4/2010 7:04:41 PM EDT
Are there any pre-ban AR mags in 7.62x39? I am in NY so any mag over 10 has to be preban. I found a USA 20 rnd mag but don't know if it is preban.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Ken
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes there are, I purchased this upper at a Poughkeepsie NY  gunshow way back when.

And found some cheap but not to reliable aftermarket mags to go with it. I am trying to find the picture of the mags or will take one and post it in a few minutes.

Yes we can make a deal on these!  Three of them appear to have never been used, more just inserted and possibly cycled once.  The other one was used, as a whole they are in very nice shape.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yes there are, I purchased this upper at a Poughkeepsie NY  gunshow way back when...

And found some cheap but not to reliable aftermarket mags to go with it. I am trying to find the picture of the mags or will take one and post it in a few minutes.
Yes we can make a deal on these!  Three of them appear to have never been used, more just inserted and possibly cycled once.  The other one was used, as a whole they are in very nice shape...

How can you tell, and, more important, how could you prove to the authorities, that those magazines are, in fact, preban? It's not likely an issue in Nevada but it is in New York.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes there are, I purchased this upper at a Poughkeepsie NY gunshow way back when...

Yes we can make a deal on these! Three of them appear to have never been used, more just inserted and possibly cycled once. The other one was used, as a whole they are in very nice shape...

How can you tell, and, more important, how could you prove to the authorities, that those magazines are, in fact, preban? It's not likely an issue in Nevada but it is in New York.

You make a good point that facts and origin which I state twice now was New York as I was a resident of New York at the time of purchase, and may still have the bill of sale... but of course you are right.  New York wouldn't give a shit about facts.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:37:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes there are, I purchased this upper at a Poughkeepsie NY gunshow way back when...

Yes we can make a deal on these! Three of them appear to have never been used, more just inserted and possibly cycled once. The other one was used, as a whole they are in very nice shape...

You make a good point that facts and origin which I state twice now was New York as I was a resident of New York at the time of purchase, and may still have the bill of sale... but of course you are right.  New York wouldn't give a shit about facts.

Well, "...the time of purchase" was specified as "way back when" which might or might not have been prior to 1994. I've seen hi-cap mags currently on sale at NY gun shows but offered and priced as pre-ban. Whether or not they actually are might be demonstrated by an associated paper trail similar to what should travel with a pre-ban rifle, but I've never seen that at the shows, perhaps because they aren't really pre-ban at all.
Your situation is different since you bought them prior to the ban (am I correct in that?), proving they were manufactured prior to the ban, which is the real fact that has to be provable. NY might or might not be concerned about facts, but it helps to have some in hand if and when the issue is raised.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:35:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You make a good point that facts and origin which I state twice now was New York as I was a resident of New York at the time of purchase, and may still have the bill of sale... but of course you are right. New York wouldn't give a shit about facts.

Well, "...the time of purchase" was specified as "way back when" which might or might not have been prior to 1994. I've seen hi-cap mags currently on sale at NY gun shows but offered and priced as pre-ban. Whether or not they actually are might be demonstrated by an associated paper trail similar to what should travel with a pre-ban rifle, but I've never seen that at the shows, perhaps because they aren't really pre-ban at all.

Your situation is different since you bought them prior to the ban (am I correct in that?), proving they were manufactured prior to the ban, which is the real fact that has to be provable. NY might or might not be concerned about facts, but it helps to have some in hand if and when the issue is raised.

Yes "Rules" you are correct that they were purchased in the State of NY before the ban.

Be proud that your caution has prevented an honest fellow NY'r from acquiring a legal item he seeks.  All becaue i cannot find a bill of sale from the early 1990's.

Are you as old as your post count "Rules...?"

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Yes "Rules" you are correct that they were purchased in the State of NY before the ban.
Be proud that your caution has prevented an honest fellow NY'r from acquiring a legal item he seeks.  All becaue i cannot find a bill of sale from the early 1990's.

Well, let's see...
How did I prevent an honest fellow New Yorker from acquiring anything unless he too was wondering whether saying "the guy I bought them from assured me they're pre-ban even though he can't find any documentation to confirm it" would fly as sufficient explanation should the authorities inquire? Indeed, if Captk feels such assurances are sufficient, why wouldn't he be taking you up on your offer despite my comments? He's clearly and rightly concerned and cautious about preban status, as I would be.
I don't doubt that they are, in fact, legal as you assert, but his legal possession of them would become his problem to prove, not yours, as most people whose age is close to my post count could figure out. Of course, since my age left my post count behind long ago, maybe I have an unfair advantage.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Be proud that your caution has prevented an honest fellow NY'r from acquiring a legal item he seeks. All becaue i cannot find a bill of sale from the early 1990's.

Well, let's see...

How did I prevent an honest fellow New Yorker from acquiring anything unless he too was wondering whether saying "the guy I bought them from assured me they're pre-ban even though he can't find any documentation to confirm it" would fly as sufficient explanation should the authorities inquire? Indeed, if Captk feels such assurances are sufficient, why wouldn't he be taking you up on your offer despite my comments? He's clearly and rightly concerned and cautious about preban status, as I would be.

I don't doubt that they are, in fact, legal as you assert, but his legal possession of them would become his problem to prove, not yours, as most people whose age is close to my post count could figure out. Of course, since my age left my post count behind long ago, maybe I have an unfair advantage.

"Rules"   You failed to directly answer the question as to whether you were older than your post count.   "Of course, since my age left my post count behind long ago, maybe I have an unfair advantage."  Is akin to my original "way back when"  that you were so quick to pounce upon.  Sir, you have no advantage, for in a battle of wit you appear unarmed.

The OP did not have the option of purchase as I would not offer them to him for sale without research or documentation.  You speculate and barely stop short of accusation, that both the OP and my efforts were not in good faith and above board.  That Sir is insulting and uncalled for.

My last words in this post...

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Be proud that your caution has prevented an honest fellow NY'r from acquiring a legal item he seeks. All becaue i cannot find a bill of sale from the early 1990's.

Well, let's see...

"Rules"   You failed to directly answer the question as to whether you were older than your post count.   "Of course, since my age left my post count behind long ago, maybe I have an unfair advantage."  Is akin to my original "way back when"  that you were so quick to pounce upon.  Sir, you have no advantage, for in a battle of wit you appear unarmed.
The OP did not have the option of purchase as I would not offer them to him for sale without research or documentation.  You speculate and barely stop short of accusation, that both the OP and my efforts were not in good faith and above board.  That Sir is insulting and uncalled for.
My last words in this post...

That you can compare a question regarding the actual age of your magazines, which has legal ramifications, to my actual age, which is, frankly, both irrelevant and none of your business, tells me much about you since apparently, you cannot tell the difference.
Regarding the OP not having the option to purchase, "Yes we can make a deal on these!" sure sounds like an invitation to buy to me. And the issue of the bill of sale wasn't raised by you until the need for documentation was raised by me.
You seem eager to put words in other people's mouths. Nowhere did I suggest the OP's efforts were not in good faith. Indeed, it's clear from the OP's original and only post that his efforts were serious and concerned with purchasing magazines which would be legal in NY and thus very much in good faith. As an ex-New Yorker, you are obviously aware of the legal requirements for owning magazines holding more than 10 rounds, as the OP began the thread stating. So I would think that being able to provide him with proof he could show the authorities as needed would be a real selling point as you "make a deal on these!" The fact that my raising that issue has you seeing an insult instead of a question will have to stand by itself.

Was this really a "a battle of wit?" I thought it was an effort to get the bottom of how to acquire a hi cap magazine that is legal in NY.
Thank you for giving me the last word.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top