Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/9/2010 3:42:44 PM EDT
Guys, I have recently put together an Armalite AR10 lower and Noveske N6 upper. I am wanting to upgrade the trigger from the Armalite unit to an aftermarket one.

I have never changed the trigger in an AR platform and am wondering if it is difficult to swap in an aftermarket unit, properly. I am not sure which model is the best, but I am wanting something with a clean break, in the 2-2.5 lb range. I know this is not a bolt gun, but I want something that will feel more like the triggers in my bolt guns.

2 questions. First, which triggers should I consider, and secondly, is this something I can drop in relatively easily or does it require a smith to do properly?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but the fact is that I have always ordered AR's with the triggers I wanted from the get go. Never had to swap one out.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#1]
There are literally tons of good trigger units these days.   Most are two pins.   You push out two pins, dump the old trigger out, and then drop in the new one and put the pins back in.

There are 308 specific triggers, mainly for hard primer surplus ammo.  

Triggers worth a look:

JP, Timney, ChipMac, Am Gold, RRA, GEISSELE AUTOMATICS,

Start here:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=798/k=/t=S/mfg=/Products/AR-15-Triggers

The pictures show a lot.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks, I will check them out.

My main question was whether or not it is a simple drop in job, or if there is some art to getting the trigger to have a clean crisp break. Hopefully it is simply mechanical function. In other words, it is either in properly or not.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
as the Brownells link shows, triggers come in all sorts of flavors.   Some are more adjustable than others.   The one piece blocks are the simplest to install.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#4]
the best trigger I recall ever having in an AR was the one that I had in a LaRue 20" SSS (5.56) but I cannot recall what kind it was. It sucks having a bad memory.

I posed the same question on the Hide and had someone recommend a 4 lb Timney unit designed for the AR10. Supposedly, in addition to being a great trigger, it is a drop in, non adjustable unit that is supposed to be very simple to install. I have never owned a Timney (that I recall) but I know they have a great reputation. At $240 it had better be good though.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#5]
The range of my experience is putting in a Bill Springfield and trying it in all my ARs.  And I did my own trigger job on one––workes pretty well.  It's hard to botch putting in a trigger.  If you do it wrong, the hammer won't lock.  Always test the safety though.  Use a small light to look in the pin holes to line things up.  Look at the diagram.  
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top