Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2010 9:59:10 AM EDT
I got a 6.8 16" carbine with standard 1/2x28 thread pitch.  Can I use a brake made for 5.56 caliber?  Will it be effective?  Need some ideas here.

Anyone use Primary Weapons muzzle brake?  They make one specifinally for 6.8

Primary Weapons

Thanks

lear60pilot
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Your first instinct is correct.
The PW brake is by all accounts great and it's the same weight as a A2 FH.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#2]
i had a guy out of iowa make me these, got two that are 6.8 havent tried it on my 6.8 though...i have used the 223 one reduces recoil down to that of a 22 rifle, and used the 308 one and it cuts recoil down to about that of a 223, so im sure the 6.8 one drops recoil a good bit, i sure wouldnt pull the trigger on a 68 with a 223 brake on it...

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I got a 6.8 16" carbine with standard 1/2x28 thread pitch.  Can I use a brake made for 5.56 caliber?  Will it be effective?  Need some ideas here.

Primary Weapons

Thanks

lear60pilot

You just need to bore/ream the opening up to allow the larger bullet to pass. Another decent brake/flash hider is the YHM Phantom 5C2. I put the 308 model on my 6.5 and honestly, zero flash unless you look from the side of it when the round goes off. I put one of the 5.56 models on my Rem 7615 pump and it works eaqually as good. The price is right also.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=965594
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Hoe does the YHM 5C2 do as a brake?   I see that it got good reviews at hiding the flash.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Primary Weapons

Thanks

lear60pilot

You just need to bore/ream the opening up to allow the larger bullet to pass. Another decent brake/flash hider is the YHM Phantom 5C2. I put the 308 model on my 6.5 and honestly, zero flash unless you look from the side of it when the round goes off. I put one of the 5.56 models on my Rem 7615 pump and it works eaqually as good. The price is right also.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=965594

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Primary Weapons

Thanks

lear60pilot

You can never use a brake that is smaller in diameter than the bore of the gun you're shooting.  It would be "bad"...to say the least.

Why do you need a brake, out of curiosity?  It doesn't kick/recoil that badly...
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top