Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/2/2009 10:47:50 AM EDT
Hey guys, I'm new here and posted this in the wrong section, wanted to put it where it should.

A buddy of mine hit a deer with his car and needed to sell some guns to pay for the damages, so I bought his DPMS AR-10 from him. It's in decent condition from what I can tell, not a whole lot of rounds through it.

Anyway, now that I have it, I'm thinking about accessories. He had a ACOG sight on it previously, which I shot (was awesome), but it wasn't part of the deal. So, right now the gun has some flip-up back up irons, sling, a bi-pod, and four mags that he included. I would like to do some work on this platform, such as putting a optic on it, possibly a railed hand guard, and a new pistol grip and stock. My problem is that all that stuff adds up quickly, and I'm trying to watch the money because I'm a college student.

So, what I'm looking for is some suggestions on some economical optics that get the job done. I'm leaning towards the standard tube scope for the rifle. And if you guys knew of any fair priced accessories like the ones I mentioned before, I'd love to hear about them. I've already spent WAY too much on my AR-15 with their EoTech sights, Magpul accessories, and whatnot. So, I'm trying to be wise on what I put on this rifle. Here are some pictures of my new toy! (Sorry about the quality, couldn't get outside with the good camera to take scenic shots, haha).

Thanks gentlemen, any input would be most appreciated.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv314/tekknologic/IMG_0192.jpg

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv314/tekknologic/IMG_0190.jpg
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Becareful about saying DPMS AR-10  the Armalite guys get worked up.   Just say DPMS 308, we know what you mean.  

Thats a good looking stick, they are much fun to shoot.  The 5.56 guns are less fun to shoot as a side effect.

So cheap optics, well that depends on how far you want to shoot.   I would suggest you get something simple now, and save your coin for more quality later.    

At the low end of the spectrum, go down to wal-mart, and see what they got.   Dots or scopes are fine.   The good part of that is if your 308 beats it to death, you can take it back to wallies.

A little more coin, guys have had good results with:
Weaver Classic V-Series Rifle Scope 1-3x 20mm Dual-X Reticle Matte

or this is a popular 10x mildot:
Bushnell Elite 3200 Rifle Scope 10x 40mm Mil-Dot

and the ever popular ACOG clone:
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1x32-Trophy-Red-Dot-Sight-P6913.aspx

Further reading

As for stocks and rails and grips:

Grip:  Sierra percision
Stock:  Magpul ACS
rail:  if you have $$ for a rail, buy a better scope!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Ah, thanks for the reply! Yeah, my mistake on the AR-10 nomenclature, didn't mean anything by it.

Anywhoo, yeah that Bushnell Elite 3200 is pretty much what I want for the gun. Anything in that ballpark would be suitable for me I think. I think the stock is something I will continue doing research on. That Magpul stock you mentioned is fairly interesting, I'll have to look into it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#3]
gotta figure out what you want to do most with it now... if you are hunting with it, spend most/all $ on a nice 3-9 with a wide FOV...(depends on where you are hunting too - field or woods) or are you plinking/ messing aound now... if thats the case, yea a cheap red dot or a cheap 2-7 scope would be fine and you could beef up other parts...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I recognize the $97 walmart futon....
just saying

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
just saying

Hahahaha, hey what can I say, I live in a dorm.

Yeah thanks guys, I think I will definitely focus on the optic for now. I do plan on using this for hunting in the future, to an extent. I'm not a huge hunter, but I'd definitely see myself getting out there more later on. After my optic I'll go from there, most likely to the stock.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Why is your rear BUIS on backwards?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why is your rear BUIS on backwards?

Because the fellow who owned it before me thought it went that way obviously, didn't notice that, thanks. Lol.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I just purchased an AP4 very similar to what you have there. The first thing I did was put a hogue grip on it. It's the best feeling grip IMHO and will only run you bout $25.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#9]
How's your ammo supply for 7.62 NATO?
It can add up fast...as in 100 rounds downrange = $50.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sigh... I have absolutely no 7.62/.308 right now. I plan on getting a small amount to start off, and probably loading my own once I start reloading this winter. I don't plan on shooting this gun every range trip, so I think I can keep the cost down if I can resist, lol.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just purchased an AP4 very similar to what you have there. The first thing I did was put a hogue grip on it. It's the best feeling grip IMHO and will only run you bout $25.

Yeah I took a look at those, definitely on my list for grips I could put on this platform.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah I took a look at those, definitely on my list for grips I could put on this platform.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:07:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you already have a reloading setup? If not, reloading takes a decent chunk of change to get started in, just FYI.  You can do it on the cheap, but it will still probably be a few hundred.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah I'm aware it costs quite a bit to start up. I don't have anything as of right now, but may make the investment this winter. If I were to do it, I would probably go for a good set-up, like a progressive press and whatnot.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#15]
As far as ammo goes, (once you zero your optic) stick to the same grain and brand!
I would recommend M118 Lake City ammo.  It's cheaper than some of the other "match" ammo brands and hunting ammo.
If you move from brand to brand (I.E. Winchester to Hornady) expect a POI shift.  Same if you switch grain (168 to 155).
I have a Bushnell 3200 Elite, it is a good scope for the money.  Of course if you can afford better glass, get better glass.
I hear good things about the Millet LRS.  Look here for opticsSWFA
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Give us a price range you can afford to spend on a scope.

B-man
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yeah I'm aware it costs quite a bit to start up. I don't have anything as of right now, but may make the investment this winter. If I were to do it, I would probably go for a good set-up, like a progressive press and whatnot.

I suggest a RCBS Rockchucker single stage or two and a set of their X-dies. I had problems with regular dies in my LR308.

www.rcbs.com
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm thinking like $200-$350 for the scope.

Thanks for the tip on the reloading gear akethan, I will be doing research in the future.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd run a Falcon Menace, it's close to your budget.   Maybe in one of the new burris mounts.  This will take advantage of your rifle's abilities to run at 600+ yards you really do need tactical turrets for longer range shooting.    I know for a fact the AP4 is up to the task at longer range as I've done it with mine.   Just keep in mind that long range shooting will demand first quality ammunition.   Surplus 7.62 ball is not going to be accurate enough, you'll be looking at FGMM 168gr to stretch the legs.

If you plan to just shoot cheapo surplus ammo then you can get a much cheaper scope such as the Millett DMS and keep the ranges relatively short.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
just saying

Hahahaha, hey what can I say, I live in a dorm.

Yeah thanks guys, I think I will definitely focus on the optic for now. I do plan on using this for hunting in the future, to an extent. I'm not a huge hunter, but I'd definitely see myself getting out there more later on. After my optic I'll go from there, most likely to the stock.

You live in a dorm? From your response, I understood that the photos were taken in your dorm. Does your school allow students to have firearms on campus? Please do not answer that rhetorical question but, I was highly surprised to read your response.

I am not opposed to allowing firearms on campus though most protectors of "higher education" are irrationally against 2nd amendment rights.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry I got my priorities reversed in my previous message.      

Very nice weapon !

Good luck with it !
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:45:44 AM EDT
[#22]
[/quote]You live in a dorm? From your response, I understood that the photos were taken in your dorm. Does your school allow students to have firearms on campus? Please do not answer that rhetorical question but, I was highly surprised to read your response.

I am not opposed to allowing firearms on campus though most protectors of "higher education" are irrationally against 2nd amendment rights.[/quote]

Haha, yes it is like any other university and does not let us keep our firearms in the dorms. I do not store my guns in my room, to avoid problems, I just happened to have it here because I needed to clean it. I returned it to it's proper storage after I did this. It's still not a great idea to do this, but I really have no other place when I'm away from home and my work bench.

You have two options if you own a gun and live on campus. You can either store it in your vehicle, or check in two the police station. I don't like keeping my firearms at the police station because my cases are large hard shell ones (like pelicans) that won't fit in their weapon racks, so my AR-15 with EoTech optics are stored outside of protection, and could be potentially knocked around when they take out and put in people's firearms. On top of that, I want to be able to get to my guns when I need/want to, I just obviously need to follow the rules.

I also have a CCW, and that is not allowed on campus either. So I have to holster up when I get in my car. It's rather annoying, but it's the rules.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#23]
For the money you are wanting to spend, it is really hard to beat a Nikon Buckmaster scope. I have an LR-308 a lot like yours, and I love the Nikon on it. great optics for the price.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:15:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I put a Hogue pistol grip on my LR-308C, I'd look at either a standard A2 stock, or a Magpul PRS.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/South_African_.308_NATO_147grn_FMJ.html is "cheap" blasting ammo that'll get you some trigger time, if nothing else.
I'd look at the Falcon Menace line of scopes (I'm going to get one for my .308 soon) http://www.snipercentral.com/menace4.htm
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeah I'm still tossing around some ideas for the gun right now. I really don't want to jump right into it, especially because I shouldn't spend $250 on a stock (that Magpul PRS is very cool, lol), among the other accessories I'd love to have.

I think right now I will focus on the scope. I have a spare Magpul MIAD grip with the enhanced trigger guard, along with a MOE stock hanging around (foliage green), both came off my newest AR that I just outfitted with flat dark earth furniture. I'll probably throw those on there for now because I am very comfortable with them. But, as I said, the scope is my priority, along with the ammo.

That South African ammo looks like it's worth the money for plinking, I may invest in a good amount of any decent round to keep the rifle consistent as suggested.

I will also take a look at that Nikon Buckmaster scope, there seems to be quite a few options for what I am looking for. Thanks for the input guys.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#26]
If you get the MagPul PRS make sure it is for the 308 as the adjustable cheek rest is just a tad further back than the standard one.  It is really nice. From the carry handle DPMS A3 to scope in a LT 104 is just a few clicks of the cheek rest hand wheel. If you go with lower rings or mounts then a A2 or any other stock should give you a good cheek weld.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I would love to get 100 rounds for $50. Do you have a place that sells that cheap?

Hell even 1980s SA battle packs are pushing $100 around here. If you can even find them.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#28]
140 rounds / $69.95 = $0.50 a round
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/South_African_.308_NATO_147grn_FMJ.html
(same link as page 1)
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#29]
For stocks, I would not do a PRS on an AP-4.   I had a 308 PRS.   It was ok on a 24" barrel gun, and the whole package was 15lbs.   The PRS is 3 lbs of extra weight.   If you do you homework and get the right height rings, and you dont need a cheek raiser.  

You already have a carbine tube/buffer/sping, so the simpliest and cheapest answer is stay with that.   Crane, ACS, and 20 more good carbine stocks are out there.   You could put a UBR on there too if you want, and use your buffer and spring.

I still had the PRS when I went to an 18" barrel, and its way too much stock for a short barrel.  

On these 308s we usually want to loose weight, not gain weight.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
For stocks, I would not do a PRS on an AP-4.   I had a 308 PRS.   It was ok on a 24" barrel gun, and the whole package was 15lbs.   The PRS is 3 lbs of extra weight.   If you do you homework and get the right height rings, and you dont need a cheek raiser.  

You already have a carbine tube/buffer/sping, so the simpliest and cheapest answer is stay with that.   Crane, ACS, and 20 more good carbine stocks are out there.   You could put a UBR on there too if you want, and use your buffer and spring.

I still had the PRS when I went to an 18" barrel, and its way too much stock for a short barrel.  

On these 308s we usually want to loose weight, not gain weight.

Yeah I can see where you're coming from. I'll have to put some thought into my stock choice.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#31]
SA ammo is NOT boxer primed (no reloading).  

I say get a cheap POS scope and some cheap ammo and blast away.  (boxer primed if you really want to reload, which will be more like .70 per shot)

When you have the money for a good scope, go with that.  

Unless I am wrong, I get the feeling you don't know what you want and are asking us for help vs you know what you want and are asking us to help pick.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#32]
If you want to get a POS scope get a center point from walmart 65 bucks and pretty good bang for the buck.

AL
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#33]
I've never played with a Falcon Menace. The review looked OK.
I've heard the Super Snipers are OK too.  You can get 10,16, or 20x *fixed power for about $325.
I've had good luck with Bushnell Banners in the past.
Nowadays I use mostly Leupold Mark4s since I can't afford Nightforce, U.S.Optics, etc,etc.
Leupold makes a Mark AR line but the most you can get in your price range is 3-9x.
I like higher powered scope though.
The only other scope I have is a Weaver Extreme 2.5-10 from Natchez.
It is OK but I'm not really impressed too much.  Gets really fuzzy around the edge.  The ILL dot is very nice though.

B-man
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#34]
From lots of experience, the .308 round really beats the snot out of scopes.  A marginal scope might work fine under .223 or other similar rounds but when you stick optics over a 30.06 or 308 it's got to be relatively robust.  Trust me when I tell you that you get every penny of value from optics.  The more you pay, the better they become, with minor exceptions.  Also, if you have to be on a strict budget for optics, don't skimp on the mount.  The most expensive glass in the world will be worthless if it can't be held on properly whereas a marginal scope will perform its best on good, solid mounts.  

Rome
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:10:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Yeah I will most likely get a LaRue mount for the scope. Yeah it could possibly be overkill, but I'll have it forever.

I'm thinking the Leupold will probably be the scope I will start with, and go from there.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top