Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2009 5:58:48 AM EDT
I'm thinking about picking up a DPMS or Remington R25 .308.  I have a few questions...

C-products mags.. best/ only way to go?

PG, buttstock hg's AR15 compatable?

BUIS..will an AR15 one work or do I need an AR10 version?

Any other info would be appreciiated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 6:28:02 AM EDT
[#1]
DPMS mags work. I have no experience with CProducts mags.

AR-15 PGs work. MIADS may require a little work to retain the takedown detent spring.

CAR-15 buttstocks work with a Slash buffer. PRS stocks for the AR-10 have a shorter cheek piece to accomodate the longer charging handle on 308 ARs.

AR-15 triggers work too.

308 handguards are unique because they are larger in diameter than AR-15 handguards.

Rear BUIS works if you have a low rise or A3 upper. A BUIS on a high rise upper gives you a chin weld, not a cheek weld. I have no experience with the railed gas block for DPMS, so I can't comment on front BUIS height.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 6:52:46 AM EDT
[#2]
DPMS mags are fine, KAC mags are $$$$$, LaRue mags coming, Magpul mags... someday, never used the c-prod myself, they are stainless which should be nice.   I have a bunch of DPMS 19 rounders, never needed more.

Pistol grips:  some grips have the big swell which rides the back of the lower receiver on the AR-15; those ones dont work so well on the 308, they leave a gap.  I like the Sierra grip myself.

Stocks:   if you start with a rifle stock weapon, then you can use all those different rifle stocks, like PRS (as DnPRK mentioned) and Ace ARFX skeleton and so on.
If you start with a factory carbine stocked weapon, you can use all those various stocks: Crane, CTR, MOE, Vltor, etc.   The factory carbine stocked guns use an AR-15 tube and come with a stubby buffer.   (which is light and should be upgraded)  To go from rifle stock to carbine, you just need the right parts.  

I did a little writeup on stocks and tubes, might be of interest:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=444682

Handguards are another thing.  If you are replacing the barrel nut, then need a DPMS 308 specific one, like from SWS.   Some DPMS models use regular carbine handguards, and so you can swap like parts.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the inof guys...the model that I am loooking at is the A4 type rifle.  @0" barrel, fixed front sight flat top upper with standard HG's...any thing to look for?  ANy thoughts on this rifle?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Some .308s are smooth-sided......they have no ejection port cover, forward assist nor shell deflector .  Other models do have those 3 features.  Take your choice, but be aware of the differences.  I happen to like those features, but it does not matter to bench shooters.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're willing to pay the bucks for a new rifle, get an accurate one with free float tube or rail. Standard handguards can cause point of impact to shift as your support hand moves on the handguard.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I tried the c-products mags and they worked fine.  Good price at 44mag.com.   I second the above post about getting one with a FF handguard.  They are very accurate.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:40:23 AM EDT
[#7]

The sight situation can be tricky, but if you know what kind a zero you want it can be done.

My 16" Criterion/ Rifle gas DPMS- PRI Full length, 4" Aux rail, PRI gas block, SJC Titan comp, LMT F/R sights, Sight Link front post, Vltor A1 club stock, MIAD grip, MGI buffer,CS flatwire spring

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the inof guys...the model that I am loooking at is the A4 type rifle.  @0" barrel, fixed front sight flat top upper with standard HG's...any thing to look for?  ANy thoughts on this rifle?

Thanks!

if it's the LR-308C you're looking at, i'd advise handling one in person.  it is a heavy barrel.  
i was able to handle it ok shooting offhand with the carry handle, but when adding 25-30oz optic and mount  became quite a beast to hold up for very long.  it was essentially a bench gun.  mine has the railed handguard, so it's a bit heavier than the standard plastic.
i may just be a wuss, but others have agreed.

i ended up putting mine on the ADCO diet.  got the barrel turned down.  i love it now.  it's still heavy, but managable .  it's been reliable, and shoots under MOA with good ammo.  

like all LR-308's, a new trigger is recommended.  other than that, they're good to go.

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

if it's the LR-308C you're looking at, i'd advise handling one in person.  it is a heavy barrel.  
i was able to handle it ok shooting offhand with the carry handle, but when adding 25-30oz optic and mount  became quite a beast to hold up for very long.  it was essentially a bench gun.  mine has the railed handguard, so it's a bit heavier than the standard plastic.

i ended up putting mine on the ADCO diet.  got the barrel turned down.  i love it now.  it's still heavy, but managable .  it's been reliable, and shoots under MOA with good ammo.  

like all LR-308's, a new trigger is recommended.  other than that, they're good to go.

Mine is the 24" model with the standard A2 stock and full A3 upper with forward assist and dust cover. With scope, bi-pod, and a full mag it's close to 15 pounds. I don't see taking many offhand shots with it but it's a pleasure to shoot on the bench!
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

What profile did you have them turn it down to? I'm getting one too and may have ADCO do the same.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#11]
i just requested they get as much weight off as possible without causing any untoward effects.  i asked them to treat it as if it were their own.
they took it down quite a bit, but nothing like a pencil profile.  not sure if you'd call it gov profile, or maybe a little thicker.
here's a link to my report thread.  it has a couple of poor pics.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks... guess I'll just talk to them when I'm ready.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#13]
My son has an LR 308, he saved his lawn mowing and leaf raking money for over a year to get it. Lol, I floated him on a little bit of it because he showed so much grit toward getting the thing. Pretty impressive for a 12 year old. It is a slick side, B version. 18 inch bull tube A3. He has tried a couple different scopes, but is currently using a set of BU irons on it. It's a dandy rifle. Shoots with my M1A. We have not put much thought into accessories as yet, beyond some spare mags. It has proven to be reliable, accurate and well made. Not a bad investment at all.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My son has an LR 308, he saved his lawn mowing and leaf raking money for over a year to get it. Lol, I floated him on a little bit of it because he showed so much grit toward getting the thing. Pretty impressive for a 12 year old. It is a slick side, B version. 18 inch bull tube A3. He has tried a couple different scopes, but is currently using a set of BU irons on it. It's a dandy rifle. Shoots with my M1A. We have not put much thought into accessories as yet, beyond some spare mags. It has proven to be reliable, accurate and well made. Not a bad investment at all.

That's a lot of lawn mowing. I think he made a good choice though. I've been happy with mine and know several other owners that are pleased with theirs as well.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's a lot of lawn mowing. I think he made a good choice though. I've been happy with mine and know several other owners that are pleased with theirs as well.

While I've been deployed this summer, my wife's been paying one of the neighbor's kids $40 per time he cuts the grass, edges, and weed-eats. He's cheaper than anyone else around. Cuttin' grass is a lot better gig these days than when we were kids. At $40 per yard, you're only looking at 50 or so to pick up the LR-308B and decent scope. If you're working a little in the spring and full bore during the summer, it's doable, but still tough work.

sonofasailor, congrats to you raising a kid that'll work hard for what he wants. We need more kids like that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 3:09:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Mr50mag,
Is that a competition gun? It looks like it would make a hell of a 3 gun heavy metal rifle. Very nice!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Mr50mag,
Is that a competition gun? It looks like it would make a hell of a 3 gun heavy metal rifle. Very nice!!

We have a winner............... That's exactly what it was made for.

Thanks  M50
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I've been deployed this summer, my wife's been paying one of the neighbor's kids $40 per time he cuts the grass, edges, and weed-eats. He's cheaper than anyone else around. Cuttin' grass is a lot better gig these days than when we were kids. At $40 per yard, you're only looking at 50 or so to pick up the LR-308B and decent scope. If you're working a little in the spring and full bore during the summer, it's doable, but still tough work.

sonofasailor, congrats to you raising a kid that'll work hard for what he wants. We need more kids like that.
Thanks Rebelwolf & Angus. He's a good kid, and a crack shot as well[.  He put in some sweat

and raised a blister or two to buy his LR.We are going to do a challenge match twixt the LR and my M1A. At 50, 100, and 200 yards, iron sights. Standard rifle 10 ring bullseye targets at 50, B27's at 100 and 200. Used to be I would have been a sure win, not so cocky these days. He's gotten pretty handy with a rifle, and he's no pansy with a handgun either. He has the advantage of young eyes on his side too. Since I hit my 40's I'm gettin' closer to needing a trip to the optomatrist. The old man still has a trick or two up his sleeve though. I havn't taught him everything ...yet. Gotta LOVE these .308 service rifles.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I went back and looked at the rifle again....what a heavy pig!  It felt heavier than the Rem. R25 with the free float hg.s.  It did have the FA/shell deflector and ejection port cover.

It seemed like a pretty nice rifle for under 1K,,,the Rem. was about $390 more.

EDIT>>grammer and clarity
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#20]
you know the r25 is made by dpms right? just re-branded.  same upper & lower, lightweight profile barrel, and camo.  
i handled one (r25) and rather liked it myself.  it kind of comes down to the camo for some people, which i happened to like.  that, along with the lighter weight for easier offhand shooting makes it desirable to me.  of course i already had my cheese grater tacticool tac20 long before the remingtons came out, and no need for 2 of the same set-up.  but, i really like the package.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
you know the r25 is made by dpms right? just re-branded.  same upper & lower, lightweight profile barrel, and camo.  
i handled one (r25) and rather liked it myself.  it kind of comes down to the camo for some people, which i happened to like.  that, along with the lighter weight for easier offhand shooting makes it desirable to me.  of course i already had my cheese grater tacticool tac20 long before the remingtons came out, and no need for 2 of the same set-up.  but, i really like the package.

Yep..

I need to edit my post a bit.  I know the R25 is a DPMS re badged.  I just didn't seem much difference for almost $400.  Is the barrel profile really lighter?  
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep..

I need to edit my post a bit.  I know the R25 is a DPMS re badged.  I just didn't seem much difference for almost $400.  Is the barrel profile really lighter?  

It's hard to get a good number on the barrel. And trying to compare a DPMS to the R25 is hard as well since there is no version of the DPMS just like the R25. The only offering DPMS has with a 20" barrel also has a removable carry handle and flash hider on it. Empty wieght is listed as 11.15 pounds versus the R25 at 8.75 pounds. Even if the handle and hider go a full pound there's a good bit to make up. The barrel on the Remington is smaller diameter and also fluted. There isn't much else that could be trimmed to make the weight difference so the barrel must be a good bit lighter on the R25.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:02:40 AM EDT
[#23]
the weight difference is gonna all be barrel.  the handguard probably comes in within a couple ounces of the same as the plastic LR-308C handguard.  no other differences.  
there is another DPMS model that compares closely to the r25.  it's the LR-308L i believe. the barrel may not be the same length, but it's a lightweight profile with a light handguard.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#24]
II looked at that LR-308L...is that an 18" barrel with the rifle length gas system?  I wish my local shop had one for me to check out.

CptSpau1ding...you had your barrel turned down?  Who did the work?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
II looked at that LR-308L...is that an 18" barrel with the rifle length gas system?  I wish my local shop had one for me to check out.

CptSpau1ding...you had your barrel turned down?  Who did the work?

ADCO.
highly recommend them !!!
(follow the link above to my review/experience)

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:47:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I am an M1A guy but decide to try an AR and was trying to find the LR-308 Classic.  I am a Dealer and was having no luck as this was during the O'bama madness in the gun world.  I ended up picking up an LR-308 AP4.  The first Problem was the mags but DPMS replaced them.  I then got enough confidence in the weapon to upgrade it and got a Crimson Trace forend with light and laser.....I did not want the quad rail so I simply drilled and tapped a Mesa pictinney rail on the exsisting free foalting forend.  I was willing to try it like this, if it did not work, then I would have to get a quad-rail just to mount one accessory as this is all that is going on this weapon.  Well, it worked fine and I am very happy with the weapon, the quality and the customer service at DPMS..... this is not a weapon for long range shooting for me.  I have M1A's for that.  The AP4 has a 16" barrel and AR adjustible stock.... This weapon is for shooting out past the range of my shotugns and M1 carbine and for the time that I hope never comes when I need to send a lot of .308 out there.  There are enough models offered by DPMS to find one that will fit the type of shooting you do or may need to do.   Also, the guys on this forum were a big help with the initial issues I had with the weapon.  More gun guys here know their stuff then other sites out there.........
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:45:02 AM EDT
[#27]
PKFirearms has stainless 24" DPMS .308 on sale on their front page.  My buddy has one that shoots great.  It is a stand or bench rifle, not a carry rifle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:29:34 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm thinking of selling my 24"er.  It is fully decked and one helluva preformer, but I just don't have the time to shoot the thing.  

Awesome rifle.  Then again, part of me is thinking I may want to hang onto all of my fireamrs, if you know what I'm sayin'...
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top