Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 12:05:23 PM EDT
I am planning on making my other rifle a 6.8 since it wont sell. Can I use the same mags, and lower? I am now trying to seel my m4 upper or trade it for a 6.8. I looked at the 458 socom but it is to much work to find ammo. So I would think the 6.8 would be a better fit. Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#1]
.458 SOCOM is only really viable if you handload.

My cost per round for 300gr Remington JHP is just under 50 cents, this includes brass (assuming a 10 shot average life span) using premium powder (RE7) and buying bullets by the box of 100. I am sure that loading for savings (cheaper bullets, powder, smaller charges, etc) will cut this significantly. This is as significant savings (from $1.30 to $2.00 or more) compared to "factory" loads from Cor Bon, SBR, or Ron Reed.

The same can be said for all centerfire ammunition, though, if you consider yourself a serious shooter you should be handloading; no matter how immense your budget.

Just this weekend I kicked out 100 rounds of 500gr Hornady RN (28gr RE15) and I am about to press another 100 rounds or 300gr JHP (44gr RE15).

(edit)
Whoops! I just realized that I haven't updated my profile since I was on contract in Riyadh...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#2]
.458 will use standard mags

6.8 uses 6.8 mags

I have both, love both.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
.458 will use standard mags

6.8 uses 6.8 mags

I have both, love both.

Werd, and werd.  

Two of the best calibers out there...

There are many, many things you can do with these two calibers...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#4]
As jcwaters pointed out for the 458 you really need to reload. 6.8 on the other hand has been showing up where you can find it though. The mags are special(I like the Barrett ones because they are 30 round mags vs 25).

I have a left handed stag 6.8 that I really like. I enjoy shooting it more then my 5.56 rifles.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top