Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/31/2009 10:49:41 AM EDT
Well I finally got around to finishing up the JP tactical comp and installing it on my 450 BM. I had to open her up to .495 and then drill and re-thread it on the lath to 11/16" x 24. I went out this morning and took care of a engine block that was attempting a sneak attack.

A couple friends came along to check out the 450 and they said she really barks up a storm now!

I have tried the 450 with several stocks now, a ACE skeleton, the Bell and Carlson thumbhole, and the PRS. I think for hunting the ACE will be the stock of choice. I did originally have a rifle length freefloat tube on her, but trimmed it down to a mid length to cover the gas block, next comes a pinestraw duracoat camo job.

––- so which one do you think looks and works better? ––-
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Ace looks better

Unless you will be shooting off of a bench it will be more practical/lighter as well

My prs is still in its box because I like my ace so well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#2]
The PRS is actually from my varmint rig, so I will keep the ACE on the 450 as it is a fair amount lighter, and when out in the woods the lighter weight should be nice. I had to use the thumbhole stock last winter for deer and bear as I didnt have the stock izzy flashhider pinned on and up here in NY I didnt want to take the chance of Johnny Law having a fit. LOL

And the ACE should provide for a more comfy feeling on the cheek in freezing temps!
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 12:08:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm using a VLTOR E-mod stock with the attached recoil pad and find it works pretty good.

Like this

I am considering cutting down the stock part of a cavarms lower and installing a standard recoil pad.
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#4]
that is a sweet looking rig, I also use my PRS stock on my LR rig/testing lower for accuracy....

Link Posted: 3/31/2009 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Talon,

I have a 458S sans break, but I do like what you did with that one.  Looks pretty clean, not overly large, and probably will help some.

With regard to the stocks, I have had the Ace on my 458 and currently run the Vltor Mod stock.  Depending on your gun hold, your cheek bone structure and just how much you get "squirrel faced" when you mount the gun, you might find differences that are worth noting.  As a matter of fact, I bet you will form an opinion that is completely unrelated to asthetics  I shoot better groups with my Vltor, but the foam on the Ace hurts my cheek bone a little less.  I have opted for accuracy over the slight loss of pain

Craig
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah Cold, there was a reduction in recoil, it wasnt all that bad to begin with and became a fair amount less after I installed the comp, though the report became louder. I also have the MGI rate reducer installed, follow up shots at 2 liter bottles of water out at 100 yards was very easy and quick, no real muzzle jump either. The Bushy lower I used with the 450 upper also has a JP modular trigger group installed, very sweet feel to it.

She is now my favorite weapon in the stable.

The guys all said it looked like an artillery piece with that style comp on the barrel, LOL
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 4:18:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/11/2009 9:50:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice mod to the comp and +1 on the Ace stock.
Link Posted: 4/11/2009 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Thnx!

I snagged a LCW lower for this upper(made by LMT)(put the Bushy lower back on the varmint upper) and it is far tighter fit to the 450 upper than the Bushy lower was, I also sent a spare Bushmaster FCG out to Bill Springfield and just got it back and installed it in the lower, the trigger feels very nice now, 4lb pull with the speed hammer option.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 12:30:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I drilled and tapped the free float tube for a top rail and for two swivel mounts on the bottom. Yesterday I  broke the entire gun down and masked it off, then mixed up the Duracoat FDE and sprayed away! This afternoon I assembled the 450 and will shoot the rest of the Pinestraw camo tomorrow and then some Duracoat flat clear.

Here she is....
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I finally got done with the pinestraw camo job and the Duracoat clear, here is a pic inside.

and outside in it's element

It didnt turn out bad at all, the pinestraw camo scheme is so very easy to do!
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I finally got done with the pinestraw camo job and the Duracoat clear, here is a pic inside.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/IMG_0896.jpg

and outside in it's element
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/IMG_0895.jpg

It didnt turn out bad at all, the pinestraw camo scheme is so very easy to do!

Damn fine looking paint job on your rifle.  I like it a lot...
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice looking camo job.
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Damn fine looking paint job on your rifle.  I like it a lot...

Quoted:
Nice looking camo job.

Thanx guys!

Link Posted: 4/18/2009 7:20:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice paint scheme.  Moved the scope forward too - why?  
Could also add folding iron backup sights now with your new rail.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nice paint scheme.  Moved the scope forward too - why?  
Could also add folding iron backup sights now with your new rail.

Tha camo matchs the underbrush up here in the Catskill mtns perfectly.

The scope is a Nikon Omega which is meant for muzzleloaders, so it has an extra long eye relief which is perfect out in the woods when pulling down on a running deer. That was the main reason for adding the rail to the FF tube, but secondly(as you pointed out) was it opened it up for some back up iron sights. Looking at the Magpul for those.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I had not allowed enough time between the camo and the clear coat and the matte clear ended up being satin in finish. I let it cure for a few days and then hit it with some matte clear again and it flattened right out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#19]
How do you like that brake?Is it as good as they say it is? Thanks Mike

Quoted:
Well I finally got around to finishing up the JP tactical comp and installing it on my 450 BM. I had to open her up to .495 and then drill and re-thread it on the lath to 11/16" x 24. I went out this morning and took care of a engine block that was attempting a sneak attack.

A couple friends came along to check out the 450 and they said she really barks up a storm now!

I have tried the 450 with several stocks now, a ACE skeleton, the Bell and Carlson thumbhole, and the PRS. I think for hunting the ACE will be the stock of choice. I did originally have a rifle length freefloat tube on her, but trimmed it down to a mid length to cover the gas block, next comes a pinestraw duracoat camo job.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/IMG_0881.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/IMG_0880.jpg
       ––- so which one do you think looks and works better? ––-
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/IMG_0882.jpg

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top