Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2009 3:25:52 PM EDT
I remember seeing at the last gun show I was at a bunch of barrels that had spiral fluting on them. I was thinking of building a .204 and liked the looks of the spiral flutes.

I did a search online and all I come up with is "no longer available". Does anyone have a clue as to what's going on and why they are not available at this time.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know E.R. Shaw is the only barrel manucacturer offering spiral or helical fluted barrels.

E.R Shaw

But there is no reason that any competent CNC machine shop with a 4 axis vertical machining center couldn't do it.  I imagine the price would be pretty steep for a one off job.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember seeing 10/22 barrels with 'snake-fluting' it was very eye catching as well. Supposedly they dissipate heat better because the fluting has more surface area on the barrel...but im no metallurgist I'm just echoing their claims.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#3]
chech anvil arms. I don't know who makes the barrels for anvil but they have them on their website.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I remember seeing 10/22 barrels with 'snake-fluting' it was very eye catching as well. Supposedly they dissipate heat better because the fluting has more surface area on the barrel...but im no metallurgist I'm just echoing their claims.

I think Volquartsen  does the snake fluted barrels.  I can see the increased surface area allowing for more cooling.  And they look neat.  Other wise I'd stick with straight flutes and save the money for more guns.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2009 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Just get it double reverse spiralled and it will be "gnarly".

Link Posted: 2/23/2009 4:23:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

But there is no reason that any competent CNC machine shop with a 4 axis vertical machining center couldn't do it.

Other than patent infringement.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=0LEHAAAAEBAJ&dq=barrel+fluting

Link Posted: 2/23/2009 5:49:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But there is no reason that any competent CNC machine shop with a 4 axis vertical machining center couldn't do it.

Link doesn't work for me. Can you give some specifics?

Link Posted: 2/23/2009 6:04:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Thinking Tonys uppers does some fluted Hbars...... Not sure bout that caliber though
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#10]
dtech used to do it and had it as an option for uppers purchased through him, may try contacting him to see if you can persuade him to do it.  I always thought it looked tits.

I also remember seeing a superior barrel upper that they had for sale that was used in one of the tests, i think it was done as well.

Link Posted: 2/23/2009 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well that would negate  E.R. Shaws patent.  Call it Diamond Fluting.  Of course I wonder if the patent covers "helical fluting" or "Full Length Slow Twist Threading"
I wonder how defensible his patent is, it claims that "wherein the number of said internal spiral grooves equal the number of said external spiral grooves." so if you used a different number you are free and clear in my non-lawyer mind.

Don't really have much use for people who take out useless patents, like Harley Davidson trying to patent the sound of a V twin.

Link Posted: 2/23/2009 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that would negate  E.R. Shaws patent.  Call it Diamond Fluting.  Of course I wonder if the patent covers "helical fluting" or "Full Length Slow Twist Threading"
I wonder how defensible his patent is, it claims that "wherein the number of said internal spiral grooves equal the number of said external spiral grooves." so if you used a different number you are free and clear in my non-lawyer mind.

Don't really have much use for people who take out useless patents, like Harley Davidson trying to patent the sound of a V twin.

I doubt it would be very defensible since helical splines have been around for a long time.

As for Harley, I thought they were trying to trademark or copyright their sound. Any way it probably didn't work since their product had been in the public domain for soo many years.
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 11:54:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/24/2009 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link doesn't work for me. Can you give some specifics?

Because copy and pasting has gotten to cumbersome

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top