Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/3/2008 4:35:50 AM EDT
I have a 6.5 grendel and really like it.  I have read a little bit about dtech's 25 wssm and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them and if so how would say they would compare to the grendel at 600+ yards?
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 4:46:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 4:55:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope I havent shot the Grendel past 300.  I dont even know why even talk about shooting past 300 yards as I am more of hunter than anything else.  I like to think im a long range shooter even though im not

The grendel however was shooting a little below MOA at 300 yards.
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 5:18:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I had an oly 25 wssm upper and it is heavy.

IMO better suited as a varmint rig, to sit and wait.

Dtech might be able to build a lightweight barrel though.

As far as 1000 yards, if you have the barrel throated to hang the bullets out farther, shoot single shot style, and shoot bergers the 25 wssm should get close to the mainstream 1000 yard cartridges. It will beat the grendel. You just cant get enough powder in the grendel case to get the speed up.

For 300 yard hunting, I like the 6.8
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 5:20:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 7:17:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm confused as to what your asking. You don't expect to shoot past 300 but want opinions from those with 6.5G/25 WSSM who do shoot at 600 despite admission you won't??

That sounds like what he's asking. Sounds like a reasonable question to me. I don't see why "admitting" that he doesn't plan to do it himself has anything to do with things. Maybe he just wants to know for academic reasons or simple curiosity. Nothing wrong with that.
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 7:56:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Im curious about long range shooting.  I dont actually shoot long range.  I have a grendel that is suppose to be great at long range although I dont shoot it for that purpose but like that it has that ability.

I was wondering if 25 wssm had the same ability as the Grendel or if it was in a league of its own.  Just curious as all nothing more

Once again I am not a long range shooter and no nothing about it beside what I read, just a curious bystander here.  Sorry to confuse anyone.

Why you hacking on me Cold?
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I see this as more of a discussion about bullet selection.   For long range high BC target bullets, the 6.5 wins–– much better selection.  

The WSSM should give more velocity though.

Now mathematically, the higher BC bullet will always beat the lower BC bullet–– eventually.  The larger the velocity differential between low and high BC bullets the longer it takes for high to win ballistically.

Winchester quotes 3060fps for their 115grain load.   Thats with the CT bullet with a .453 BC.

Lets compare that to the AlexArms 123 gr Lapua load which is claimed at 2405fps and a .547 BC.

Thats a BIG 600 fps velocity difference (~25%), and almost about a tenth of BC diff –– ~20%.

At 600yards, thats -144"  total drop for the 6.5, and -91" for the WSSM load.  Thats like 37% less drop, which is significantly better.   Now even if you say that the 3060 velocity is an 'optimistic' number from a 26" bolt action, the WSSM still wins by 3" less drop if it was going only 2500fps!

But really this a more of an apples and oranges thing, the WSSM is very specialized, uses a special mag, and you only get like 7 rounds, and is a barrel burner.

So that part is subjective.  Looking at just the math, WSSM wins easily.

Link Posted: 12/3/2008 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Dtech can & will build you a 6.5/243 WSSM, it will easily do 600yds & further. I'm not sure if he can provide it with an extended gas tube to take advantage of a 26" barrel though.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#10]
The 25 WSSM was designed to essentially duplicate the 25-06 in a compact package.  I have a 25 WSSM from DTech with 23" Shilen barrel that I'll be using for some deer hunting in the next week or two.  I haven't done any formal benchrest testing but I've been pleased with its function and (offhand) accuracy so far.  

One thing worth noting is that none of the four commercial rounds for 25 WSSM fit into a mag without setting the bullets back a bit.  Not an issue if you handload, but important to keep in mind that you can't just grab a box of ammo on the way to the range.  As someone mentioned above this should be considered a specialized round...

As an aside, DTech has been wildcatting the WSSM cases all the way up to .458 I believe.  I like playing with different cartridge possibilities in an AR, but I'm not sure I'm ready to take that on yet.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I see this as more of a discussion about bullet selection.   For long range high BC target bullets, the 6.5 wins–– much better selection.  

Now mathematically, the higher BC bullet will always beat the lower BC bullet–– eventually.  The larger the velocity differential between low and high BC bullets the longer it takes for high to win ballistically.

Winchester quotes 3060fps for their 115grain load.   Thats with the CT bullet with a .453 BC.

Lets compare that to the AlexArms 123 gr Lapua load which is claimed at 2405fps and a .547 BC.

Thats a BIG 600 fps velocity difference (~25%), and almost about a tenth of BC diff –– ~20%.

At 600yards, thats -144"  total drop for the 6.5, and -91" for the WSSM load.  Thats like 37% less drop, which is significantly better.   Now even if you say that the 3060 velocity is an 'optimistic' number from a 26" bolt action, the WSSM still wins by 3" less drop if it was going only 2500fps!

But really this a more of an apples and oranges thing, the WSSM is very specialized, uses a special mag, and you only get like 7 rounds, and is a barrel burner.

The .25 WSSM has a lot more oomph than the Grendel. I mean, just look at the case capacity! With the proper bullet, it should do fairly well at distance. I have taken 4 deer with one, and shot it out to 500 yards. This was when they first released it. Accuracy was good, but I was not real impressed by the performance of the factory loads on deer. Yes, it killed them, but they all tended to take off like the devil himself was after them upon being hit. They'd run straight out for 100 yards or so and pile up in a heap. Hardly any blood, and it would take a bit to find them.

As a sidenote, the quoted AA 123 grain velocity is too low. Even for a 14.5 inch gun that figure is low. Even so, the Grendel is no magnum.
Link Posted: 12/5/2008 4:52:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

With that particular bullet and at that velocity the 25 outperforms the Grendel no doubt.  I dig the efficiency of the Grendel though.  Out of a 19.5" barreled AR with the 123 Scenar I'm getting 2585 fps burning 30.2 grains of powder.  The ballistic program says drop at 600 is 96", and it stays supersonic to 1200 yds.  I think that is pretty dang good out of that little rifle.
Link Posted: 12/5/2008 5:44:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

With that particular bullet and at that velocity the 25 outperforms the Grendel no doubt.  I dig the efficiency of the Grendel though.  Out of a 19.5" barreled AR with the 123 Scenar I'm getting 2585 fps burning 30.2 grains of powder.  The ballistic program says drop at 600 is 96", and it stays supersonic to 1200 yds.  I think that is pretty dang good out of that little rifle.

Hey do you mind if I ask what kind of powder you are using?
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top