Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2008 4:13:34 PM EDT
I've read about incidents of Bushmaster bolts breaking in the .308 AR-type rifle.

Is this a Bushmaster-only problem?

Anbody heard of bolts breaking in other AR-type rifles in .308 caliber?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#1]
never heard of a broken bolt on any other .308 AR......something about the bottom locking lug being deleted to make room for the FAL mag.

problem with your DPMS?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
never heard of a broken bolt on any other .308 AR......something about the bottom locking lug being deleted to make room for the FAL mag.

problem with your DPMS?

No problems at all with my DPMS.

Some discussion of the Bushmaster problem over at the FAL Files
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=245208
made me ponder the issue as to whether this is any area of concern for .308 caliber AR-type rifles in general.

The DPMS rifle does not use FAL mags, and the bolt looks in every respect like an oversized AR15 bolt.

I don't think Bushmaster is the only .308 AR that uses FAL mags.
Do all the other AR designs that use FAL mags have the same issue with the "deleted" lug?

I haven't been able to find any reference to the broken-bolt problem in any of the pages on the Bushmaster web site. Seems like they should have something - since this seems to be clearly not a one-off problem for their product.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

problem with your DPMS?

No problems at all with my DPMS.

Some discussion of the Bushmaster problem over at the FAL Files
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=245208
made me ponder the issue as to whether this is any area of concern for .308 caliber AR-type rifles in general.

The DPMS rifle does not use FAL mags, and the bolt looks in every respect like an oversized AR15 bolt.

I don't think Bushmaster is the only .308 AR that uses FAL mags.
Do all the other AR designs that use FAL mags have the same issue with the "deleted" lug?

I haven't been able to find any reference to the broken-bolt problem in any of the pages on the Bushmaster web site. Seems like they should have something - since this seems to be clearly not a one-off problem for their product.

there used to be a lot of discussion about it here.  I don't know for certain, but I'd hazard a guess that this is one of the reasons the RRA 308 took so long to come out––trying to figure out a good fix for the bolt problems.

Other than the RRA, (which is virtually the same rifle BM discontinued) are there any other AR platforms that use FAL mags?
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top