User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2008 12:41:46 PM EDT
<delete>
Link Posted: 11/7/2008 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't need the headspace re-checked if it was done correctly the first time (when the receiver extension was installed).  BUT you don't use loctite on the barrel nut threads nor the upper receiver either.  You should use a heavy oil or lithium greese to prevent them from freezing up.  Correct torque is what keeps it from coming loose.
Link Posted: 11/7/2008 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I've NEVER had that happen.

I can't imagine that a barrel was torqued that poorly to the barrel extension.

Proceed with caution.
Link Posted: 11/7/2008 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've NEVER had that happen.

I can't imagine that a barrel was torqued that poorly to the barrel extension.

Proceed with caution.

CAUTION, check headspace or someone may be going to your funeral in the near future.

Checking headspace is cheap, what your face and or life worth?
Link Posted: 11/7/2008 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#4]
<delete>
Link Posted: 11/7/2008 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#5]
<delete>
Link Posted: 11/7/2008 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Send it back!!
Link Posted: 11/7/2008 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/7/2008 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#8]
<delete>
Link Posted: 11/7/2008 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't tell me let me guess.. AR15performance.com?  Sure sounds like his work!
Link Posted: 11/7/2008 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
send it back. looks like the extension was not properly pinned. the pin was not deep enough into the threads.

I have never had a barrel off of the extension before.

Nobody without a lot of know how and experience should have a barrel that is not permanently attached to the extension.

I would not shoot it. Call them up and get it returned.

Link Posted: 11/7/2008 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Dont shoot it without headspace check.  There is a "crush" that happens with threads.  And the worst part is that its not repeatable.  Once the threads have"crushed" when you retighten it there will be more crush, changing the headpsace.  

OMP
Link Posted: 11/8/2008 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#12]
<delete>
Link Posted: 11/8/2008 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#13]
But how long will the barrel stay in place do to shooting vibration? If there is no pin holding the extension to the barrel then it could very well start to move while shooting.

Barrel extensions require over 100 ft/lbs of torque for proper installation. The barrel moving within the extension during flash hider removal is unacceptable IMO.

It's your face do what you want. Only trying to help.
Link Posted: 11/8/2008 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#14]
<delete>
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 7:31:37 AM EDT
[#15]
At least have him loctite the heck out of it and recheck the headspace.

OMP

Link Posted: 11/9/2008 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
308 DPMS w/custom barrel - upper was test fired by gunsmith before delivery. Decided to change flash hider. When I put torque on the flash hider to take it off, the barrel broke loose from the barrel extension. Dammit. I just threaded it on off, degreased, loctite threads, put it back on and re-torqued it. All of it seemed to line right back up OK. Am I good to go or should I get someone to check the headspace before range time tomorrow? Any response greatly appreciated.

let me guess- you didn't use barrel vice, just upper blocks and broke it loose?

Use the correct tools and that wont happen- granted it was a shitty job, but if you would have used the correct tools it wouldn't have happened.
Link Posted: 11/9/2008 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
308 DPMS w/custom barrel - upper was test fired by gunsmith before delivery. Decided to change flash hider. When I put torque on the flash hider to take it off, the barrel broke loose from the barrel extension. Dammit. I just threaded it on off, degreased, loctite threads, put it back on and re-torqued it. All of it seemed to line right back up OK. Am I good to go or should I get someone to check the headspace before range time tomorrow? Any response greatly appreciated.

let me guess- you didn't use barrel vice, just upper blocks and broke it loose?

Use the correct tools and that wont happen- granted it was a shitty job, but if you would have used the correct tools it wouldn't have happened.

Once it is put together and headspaces, put a witness mark on it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Loctite won't hold once the barrel gets hot from firing.  Even the highest strength Loctite is overcome by simply heating the connection.

Loctite is never used for critical connections on firearms for this reason.

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#19]
So...who's barrel was it?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So...who's barrel was it?

It was AR15performance  he goes by constructor on the forums.  here is how he dicked up my upper (and is now ignoring me)
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=403297
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top