Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2008 3:23:21 AM EDT
When looking at dpms 308 rifles, i notice a screw in the side of the bolt carrier.  what is that holding in place and has anyone yet heard of this screw backing out any ?
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 3:31:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe you are talking about the Firing Pin Retaining Pin.  The LR-308's use a solid pin instead of a cotter pin for this.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the original Stoner design used this as well.

ETA:  It's the 4th pin from the left in the middle row:

Link Posted: 10/18/2008 3:39:30 AM EDT
[#2]
don't know about the Stoner design, but you're right--it's a solid pin with a small cut on the end.

(I wondered about it too when I first got mine)
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 3:57:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I believe you are talking about the Firing Pin Retaining Pin.  The LR-308's use a solid pin instead of a cotter pin for this.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the original Stoner design used this as well.

ETA:  It's the 4th pin from the left in the middle row:

i155.photobucket.com/albums/s312/jlhetrick/308boltcarrier.jpg

That is correct..

Link Posted: 10/18/2008 4:47:11 AM EDT
[#4]
So its not actually a screw ?
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 4:57:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So its not actually a screw ?

No it is not, the right side of it is slotted.  Makes it look like a flat head screw.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I think these are availible for regular size ar's as well, K&S or somebody like that makes and sells em.

Just looked at the M1S page and K&S is selling these, they call them a "Perma pin"
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I think these are availible for regular size ar's as well, K&S or somebody like that makes and sells em.

Just looked at the M1S page and K&S is selling these, they call them a "Perma pin"

Correct

www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=116
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Saw the same thing on mine and wondered how you take it down
to clean the bolt and carrier
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Saw the same thing on mine and wondered how you take it down
to clean the bolt and carrier

It takes down exactly like an AR-15 bolt/bolt carrier, except you don't have to turn the cam pin 90 degrees to pull it out.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top