Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2008 4:49:27 AM EDT
I have a stripped AR15 A3 Upper without the barrel that I was going to fit to my Bushmaster but since I dont have the money for optics (and cant really justify the money) its been sitting in my drawer collecting dust.  I have had my eye on the 6.8 for a while now, mostly because I am not a big fan of the terminal capabilities of the 5.56. I think having a 6.8 AR in the house might change which rifle I go for when that time comes and I need some serious hardware.  

What is holding me back is of course the financial end plus the justification of it.  I have the money but its not like I am going to be kicking down doors or engaging perps on a regular basis.  It will be a range gun, fun gun, and ultimately SHTF gun.  The current 5.56 config is great for going out and blasting a bunch cheap, crappy wolf ammo.

So the point is, can I use this stripped upper as a jumping off point or is the size completely different and theres an upper designed for the 6.8?  I am not looking for fancy free floating rails, or 19-way piccatiny rail with with a bazooka on the end.  I simply want to make my plain jane Bushy AR15 to a plain jane AR6.8.  

Can I fit my Ar15 upper?

What else is needed?  Barrel?  Bolt?  What can be taken from my AR15 config to make this switch as cheap and reliable as possible?  

If and when I decide later to start putting more money into my AR then ill get the fancy stuff but right now I am pretty much interested in a All-Go No-show kind of setup.

Apologize if this has been answered, a lot of threads I have read spout configs that far surpass my requirements.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 5:02:20 AM EDT
[#1]
You will need a 6.8 barrel, new 6.8 bolt, and new magazines.  6.8s require a wider magazine like the 6.5 Grendel uses.  

Also, the ammo for 6.8 is at least double that of 5.56, so be ready for that.  Plan on spending $1.00-1.25 per round in 20 round boxes instead of buying 500 round cases of 5.56.  

I switched over to a 6.5 Grendel for the accuracy and the terminal superiority to 5.56, but I have been paying for it.  Wolf now makes two loads for the Grendel that are cheaper, but Black Hills and Factory loaded 6.5 costs about $250 for 200 rounds.  6.8 is very similar.

I'd say keep your AR 5.56 upper intact, and just buy a 6.8 complete upper.  That way you can keep the 5.56 upper ready to use for the range when you get sick of shelling out money for the 6.8 range time.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 5:15:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Since you have the upper receiver without a barrel already, you can simply buy the barrel, bolt, gas tube, gas block, muzzle device, handguards and magazines, and build up the upper assembly like any other.

The one thing you'll want to add is M4 feedramps.  You do need them with the 6.8 as the rounds are bigger and they sit a little lower in the mags.

I would suggest that you look at Cardinal Armory's website.  Tim Hicks will take your upper, and then build you a "grunt" model upper assembly around that.  It is the KISS model, and if I were you, I would get the superlight profile.  It is 16" and, in my experience,  defies all logic in its accuracy potential.  Tim will also add the M4 ramps for you.

It is chrome lined and has 1 in 11" twist, SPCII chamber, and 4 groove rifling.  That makes a very nice rifle....it will look like this:

Link Posted: 7/24/2008 5:25:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 5:46:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted: That way you can keep the 5.56 upper ready to use for the range when you get sick of shelling out money for the 6.8 range time.

I find it funny that people assume everyone who posts here would "get sick of" shelling out money to shoot their firearms in whichever caliber one chooses. Heres a heads up, not everyone on this board is so strapped for cash that they need to shoot the cheeper round or the cheeper loading for said round.  I just thought I would point that out. Some people can actually pay to shell out, oh I don't know, 25 dollars a box for ammo and not really think twice. Also, premium 5.56 and 223 ammo isnt that cheep anymore... I only shoot Hornady 75 grain match in my precision AR's and its not different then the good 6.8 stuff.  Plinking 223 ammo is not far behind. The mentality (all over this site) is the cheeper round, the more fun it is to shoot etc. Well, if thats the case, you are in error. Just a thought. I would LIKE NOT to see this thread go down hill act accordingly.

grimmysnr,

As your question also appears to be your first post on this site, let me be the first to welcome you!

Cold,

I make plenty of money, thank you very much, and have a lot of high $$ guns and ammo.  If you looked at his original statement, money seemed to be one of his biggest concerns.  I didn't assume anything.

I only shoot 6.5 Grendel and 50 Beowulf, both are very costly rounds averaging $25 a box or more, so obviously I don't care about shelling out the money.  But some people are not as fortunate and can only afford so much.  $1.25 a shot is a premium price, and some people may not want to pay that much to get into the 6.8, 6.5, or .50 caliber weapons without knowing all the costs.  

I would expect a little more tact from a moderator.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 5:46:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey thanks for the welcome.  I finally signed about a year ago and then kinda dabbled before that.  Lots of people love the simplicity of my AR and out of all the guns I have it has probably been the most reliable and the most fun to shoot.  But its just not the first thing Id grab for the sake of defense.  I am sure well placed 5.56 rounds can do plenty of damage, hell even .22 rimfire can kill somebody.  Being in the military I have had plenty experience with military and my civilian rifle.  5.56 makes purdy holes in paper but doesnt necessarily stop folks on a dime.  I am not bloodlusting or anything, dont get me wrong, I just like to be prepared thats all.  

As far as ammo is concerned, well it sucks just like gas prices.  But I love shooting, its one of my most favorite hobbies.  In that sense, you have to pay to play.  Beside that, I also have a .300 win mag that I shoot recreationally.  I sometimes go through a box and a half at the range, not to sight it in, but I love the look people give when you have a canon over there letting off rounds making a stupid looking smily face on paper.  Or you go out in the woods and have an old TV or radio that people are shooting at with their 9mm or 44 specials, then I get out the ol .300 and put everything in perspective lol.  

Essentially I am just trying to save some bucks to further my collection and hobby.  I will want to have a complete upper in both 6.8 and 5.56 but I would like to get the 6.8 off the ground first honestly.  Simply because I can get parts for a AR15 cheaper and sometimes better than I can find for a 6.8.  Changing barrels and headspacing is the hardest part so if I have 2 uppers with proper barrels and headspacing the rest is just swap this for that.

*EDIT*

To append to that financial part, its not I cant afford it its more whether I think its 'worth' it so to speak.  I paid about 900 bucks for my AR and I just cant see dropping anoher 5-600 bucks more just for an upper without a bolt or other required parts.  I understand a 6.8 is a new cartrige but if I can pick up a 5.56/.223 complete upper for a few hundred bucks then I cant see the 6.8 being that much different.  Just like optics, for me, spending 400 bucks on a Eotech this or Aimpoint that when  I am not a member of a SWAT team nor am I a vigilante kicking down doors like a bounty hunter just doesnt seem very practical.  I love my hobby but I do have to draw a line somewhere.  I have guns for fun and defense, non of them are for show.  If you get to see my guns your probably staring at the business end and its not going to be good.  That last part was a joke lol...Sorry its late for me...need some sleep.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 6:30:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 6:56:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Cold,

No offense was taken sir, I know exactly what you were trying to say.  I was merely making the same type of blanket statement as in pay to play.  I also drive a 5.3l Sierra with an ATV in the back.  Plus, I just ordered the ABC's of Reloading (newest) and Lymar's 49th.  Been considering reloading with the rise in ammo prices.

Figure theres money to be saved reloading .45, .300wm, and .223/6.8.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 6:58:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree with what Cold said as a blanket statement concerning ARFCOM. ARFCOM is a notorious bunch of cheap skates.

IMO, you would be far better off spending your money on ammunition and training rather than a 6.8 platform. See my sigline for my thoughts on the subject.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 7:54:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I hardly see how your sigline has anything to do with me as I receive plenty of training whether it be personal or government.  My mindset is fairly simple as in I shoot for recreation (as do many here) and I will defend this country against all enemies foreign and domestic.  A rifle whether it be .223/5.56 is not something I would carry with me on the street to go battle hordes of zombies.  I can shoot a half inch or less group at 200 yards with a full size M16 and iron sights.  

I tried to have fun with this subject and I guess you got the idea I am some punk kid with mom and dads gun.  Well bud you couldnt be more wrong.  I posted specifically what I was looking to do, because if I didnt, the folks who do nothing but spend every paycheck on their 30 AR's tell me to get the most expensive junk out there.  I choose to not 'need' all that and merely want a platform to get the job done.  I guess you can say I am bored of .223 and would like something else.  I highly doubt having a 6.8 is some right of passage only the old and wise can upgrade to.

I asked how to take what I have and convert it to 6.8 without getting a bunch of nonsense I dont need.  What I didnt ask for is your BS logic about who you think I am and what you think I need personally.   If I want to drop 5 grand on a bunch of fluff then I will do it but I have enough discipline and restraint to know that I can probably spend that money on the wife instead.  So thanks but no thanks, take your condescending nonsense somewhere else.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I agree with what Cold said as a blanket statement concerning ARFCOM. ARFCOM is a notorious bunch of cheap skates.

IMO, you would be far better off spending your money on ammunition and training rather than a 6.8 platform. See my sigline for my thoughts on the subject.

+1 to both thoughts.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 10:07:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I hardly see how your sigline has anything to do with me as I receive plenty of training whether it be personal or government.  My mindset is fairly simple as in I shoot for recreation (as do many here) and I will defend this country against all enemies foreign and domestic.  A rifle whether it be .223/5.56 is not something I would carry with me on the street to go battle hordes of zombies.  I can shoot a half inch or less group at 200 yards with a full size M16 and iron sights.  

I tried to have fun with this subject and I guess you got the idea I am some punk kid with mom and dads gun.  Well bud you couldnt be more wrong.  I posted specifically what I was looking to do, because if I didnt, the folks who do nothing but spend every paycheck on their 30 AR's tell me to get the most expensive junk out there.  I choose to not 'need' all that and merely want a platform to get the job done.  I guess you can say I am bored of .223 and would like something else.  I highly doubt having a 6.8 is some right of passage only the old and wise can upgrade to.

I asked how to take what I have and convert it to 6.8 without getting a bunch of nonsense I dont need.  What I didnt ask for is your BS logic about who you think I am and what you think I need personally.   If I want to drop 5 grand on a bunch of fluff then I will do it but I have enough discipline and restraint to know that I can probably spend that money on the wife instead.  So thanks but no thanks, take your condescending nonsense somewhere else.

Relax man. It wasn't an attack on you at all. Simply a statement of my opinion. Most guys on here are dirt shooters and you should be aware of that fact.

That said, I still think you're better off with .223 unless you can afford to practice with it to the point that you can ride the recoil curve, know the bullet drop out to a set distance and really "know your rifle". Despite your inuendo to the contrary, I don't think the 6.8 is only for some sort of elite, in fact, I don't own one and have little interest in it. Same goes for every other AR big bore caliber. ASk Cold, he's tried to get me into it. I can't. I have trained with 5.56 and like it's performance. My opinion is merely that. It was not an attack on your "expertise in the art of the AR".

I find it somewhat amusing that you took offense to my post, yet had thick enough skin to handle Cold's post with a level head.

And just to point out a fact, your post was NOT about if you could simply convert what you have to 6.8. It was AT LEAST as much about your concern for the financial implications of said decision. If you want a technical discussion, then leave your personal finances out of the question otherwise you'll get a response to it. Just a friendly suggestion.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

1/4 MOA?  With an off the rack M16?  With irons?
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top