Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 2:08:31 PM EDT
I bought a stag m4 carbine a few years back for a cqb rifle. I decided a while back that I wanted to try to build an accurate long range rifle that I could use for varmint hunting and target shooting. Then I read about the 6.5 Grendel and decided I could use it for deer hunting also. Well, I have put together and completed the lower, stag lower, a2 stock, NM RRA trigger. I have also purchased a bushnell 4200 4x16x40mm scope and a LaRue Tactical spr-s mount to go with it. I am ready to buy the upper but wanted suggestions as to which one. I was wanting to have 1/2 m.o.a. accuracy. I will probably not be shooting paper any further than 500 yds. Hunting 300 yds or less. The upper I have been looking at is the AA Entry with 19.5 inch barrel. Is this going to give me the accuracy I desire?Should I invest in equipment myself so that I can assemble my own upper with a match grade barrel? Or, is there another upper I should consider? Your suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I have about $1000.00 in it so far and would like to keep it below $2000.00 overall.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#2]
   This is the description from their website. I have no idea why it is called the entry model unless it is because of the price. Seems kind of expensive to me though.   6.5 Grendel® Entry - Complete Upper Assembly
Complete 6.5 Grendel® Entry Upper Receiver Assembly. This unit features a flat top receiver, 19.5" stainless steel barrel,free float composite hand guard. Ships with one 10 round magazine. This unit...
Price: $857.00

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#4]
stock length?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:45:54 AM EDT
[#5]
My lower has the standard fixed a2 stock length.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:53:34 AM EDT
[#6]
If I decided to go to the 6.8 spc caliber, would i get the same accuracy at the ranges I want to shoot? The 6.8 is appealing because of the lower cost and availability, but I don't want to give anything up to accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If I decided to go to the 6.8 spc caliber, would i get the same accuracy at the ranges I want to shoot? The 6.8 is appealing because of the lower cost and availability, but I don't want to give anything up to accuracy.

.5" MOA? No way you can do it consistently and I'd bet a $100.00 dollar bill you can never put 5-5 shot groups on one target that measure .5" or less. It's not so much the caliber, it's the rifle.

To do it with a factory rifle , you would need a Savage , Howa, or a custom shop 40X.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 3:52:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I can shoot 1/2" @ 100yds. with my rem. xp-100 pistol. It shoots .221 fireball. I had read that Les Baer guarantees his 6.5 Grendel to shoot .5 MOA or less at 100 yds. I don't have much experiance in the obtainable accuracy of the ar-15, but from what I have read I should be able to build an accurate ar-15 that will shoot under 1 MOA all day long from 100-500 yds. Right now I am waiting for hurricane dolly to hit. The eye should be directly overhead in about 3-4 hours as I live in Harlingen,Tx. Should not be much to it except alot of rain and winds not over 100 MPH.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:38:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't forget to bring the dog inside. Category 1-2 storms can move pretty slow and hang around for a few hours.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Do they call it the entry model due to the price of the upper or because its good for entry into buildings with a 19.5 inch barrel?

Price of the upper.  

The only entry work I want to do with a 20"~ish barrel would be with a bullpup design, and they suck for entry work anyway...
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top