Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/20/2008 9:56:08 AM EDT
i just wached future weapons the show talked about the pro's of going to 6.8 round over a 5.56 or a 7.62

but how easy is it to find a 6.8 ammo?

has any body shot this m-4 6.8?
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Just saw this last night also..yea check the stickies at the top of the page..real good information.

Been looking at the barrett REC 7 myself

http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifle_rec7.aspx

Been looking at picking up a 6.8 either the barrett vs noveske  decisions decisions, expensive decisions...
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Ko-tonics 6.8 upper and a Bushmaster lower. The barrel is 18", 4 groove,  
1-11 twist. I'm getting 2848fps using H322 powder, BR4 primers and 90gr Speer TNT bullets.
Ammo is available from Remington, Hornady and SSA or you can load your own. SSA makes some especially good defense and hunting loads.

If you get the chance check out 68forums.com
They have a lot of good info.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#4]
That m-468 is ungodly heavy. I think the ARMS rail is what makes it so. Not by choice, but I have a bushmaster in 6.8spc with a YHM handguard and it weighs a lot less. I have been developing loads for the Barnes 110gr TSX, Hornady 110gr V-Max, Hornady 110gr HPFB(otm), and the Sierra 110gr Pro Hunter. So far they are all shooting very flat but I still have some fine tuning to do. Further testing is on hold until I get optics and a chrono.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just saw this last night also..yea check the stickies at the top of the page..real good information.

Been looking at picking up a 6.8 either the barrett vs noveske  decisions decisions, expensive decisions...

There alot of other better choises then the Barrett. (Hey Mr Barret 1998 called they want there rail system back!) The rail is just to damn heavy it was a real big turn off when I was handling it.

If you want a piston system go with LWRC. If you don't care about that go with Noveske, Ko-tonics or the LMT MRP. With the MRP you can add the LMT piston to that once it comes out if you want.
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 10:08:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There alot of other better choises then the Barrett. (Hey Mr Barret 1998 called they want there rail system back!) The rail is just to damn heavy it was a real big turn off when I was handling it.

If you want a piston system go with LWRC. If you don't care about that go with Noveske, Ko-tonics or the LMT MRP. With the MRP you can add the LMT piston to that once it comes out if you want.

I have the LWRC 6.8 in a 10.5" SBR.  It is by far my favorite gun to shoot.   Can't say enough good things about the LWRC gun or the 6.8 round.  I have the newer CHF bbl and upgraded carrier.

One thing I will say....get Barrett mags.  They are more expensive and a little larger (hold 30 rounds and are about $40 from Barrett)....but my CProducts dont' feed at all and haven't since day one....they are first gen though and I haven't been able to get ANYONE from CProducts to return my phone calls or emails to get the situation rectified.

I'd also guess just based on the absolutely fantastic quality of the Barrett mags, I'd consider the REC7....if the quality of the mags are any indication, the rest of the rifle is probably equally as nice.   I do agree with the others though....get rid of the ARMS rail.

Sean
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Gee, we've been running Barrett M468's since 2004.  They have the "Murray"/SPCII type chamber with 1/10 twist barrels.  Our Barrett 468's digest all ammo with complete reliability--BTW, note that we ditch the ARMS SIR forends...

The Rec7's also run well.

We use Barrett and PRI mags; the CP's blow chunks...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the Barrett REC-7 in 6.8SPC.  The round seems to be very accurate.  Ammunition is expensive; however, I bought reloading dies and it makes it tolerable. The REC-7 allows for a suppressor but Barrett does not have any available.  I am having AWC make one for the gun as we speak.  I have ordered my second one and sending off the $$ today.  Quality is A+, rifle weights about 7.5 lbs., and the piston is the only way to go.  Forget the gas and go directly to pistons, if you can sell a kidney to pay for one hey
Just a note about Barrett...  I orderd the Barrett BORS for a Sako TRG-42.  I snapped off a ring bolt due to my own error.  I called Barrett and told them what happened.  No questions asked and they sent me a new mount.  The service and quality is why I bought their gun.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top