Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/2/2007 5:51:53 AM EDT
Here in Pennsylvania, semi autos are not allowed for hunting...does anyone make a barrel without the gas port to allow single shot fire?

This set up would really piss off the boys in plaid flannel.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:22:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Get it with a side charging handle.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:24:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Tim at Ko-tonics will sell you a 5/8x24 threaded 16" barrel (4140, chrome lined) with no gas port drilled. Just have him add a Cerakote finish and you have your single shot barrel, ready to install.

Fourth item down on this page
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:23:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Could you not just remove the gas key from the bolt carrier?

And, what's so funny DaveS?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:56:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Could you not just remove the gas key from the bolt?

No, but you could.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:52:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Just take the gas tube off and spin the gas block to cover the hole
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Spoil Sport.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Assuming a gas block and not a pinned FSB, clamped FUFS, etc... Also assuming the inverted gas block will fit that way under the handguards (if the block started under the handguards to begin with).
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Could you not just remove the gas key from the bolt?

No, but you could.  

I think that there would be a shit load of hot gas blowing though the upper and through the charging handle slot etc...

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Where would the hot gas go...there would be no relief...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#10]
NVERMND....I was in a diff. conversation....
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Out the end of the muzzle. Having a gas port in the barrel is not required for the successful and safe firing of an AR-type rifle. Just ask anyone shooting ARs in Great Britain. I suppose, however, that the blocked off gas port would eventually start to erode, but I have no idea if this would affect anything before the barrel was shot out.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#12]
The port only erodes if gas passes through it, It's a dead end in this case.
Below is a photo of a LR10 308 and a AR15 6.5 Banshee, neither has ports.
It's a test I do to check accuracy before I drill the port and after. Some smiths having problems with short stroke just keep drilling the port larger, a big port that catches the land will affect accuracy.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:43:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here in Pennsylvania, semi autos are not allowed for hunting...does anyone make a barrel without the gas port to allow single shot fire?

This set up would really piss off the boys in plaid flannel.

I can build one for you if you'd like.  Send me an email of what you have in mind.  I don't have a side handle upper, but you can always yank the charge handle per usual.  Or we could do a little investigating.  Would be a fun project, and a very easy build.

I believe somebody had started a thread here on ARFCOM about a manually operated AR for hunting and was answered by some members in Great Britain. Over there only 22 rimfires can be semi-auto. They had some really neat setups with bolt handles on the right side and modified upper receivers to work with them. Sorry -- too many brain farts have blown where I saw it out of my memory.

Edit: dang, I found it -- link to AR bolt rifle
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Out the end of the muzzle. Having a gas port in the barrel is not required for the successful and safe firing of an AR-type rifle. Just ask anyone shooting ARs in Great Britain. I suppose, however, that the blocked off gas port would eventually start to erode, but I have no idea if this would affect anything before the barrel was shot out.

I know the gas would go out the muzzle and know that the port has nothing to do with shooting a bullet. I don't think the port would erode. I think whatever is being used to stop the gas would eventually fail...but maybe I am wrong.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top