Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2007 7:19:22 PM EDT
Ive got a possible deal on a really nice lower that I would like to build my own Beowulf .50 from.

Its a mil spec lower. I know that I could just order an Alexander Arms upper, bolt it on and be done with it but Id like to do something unique.

Im thinking  a Vltor Weapons Sytems upper with the .50 barrel and bolt.

Am I offbase? Is there anything completely different with the .50 upper? What are my options as far as barrels and such? Anyone else build their own?

Ideas?
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Greetings I have a beowulf.  I got 16" entry.  I went the easy "cheap" route.
If by

Vltor Weapons Sytems upper
you mean VIS you may have issues with gas block clearance unless you get something customized such as a Saturn sp?? barrel to mate to normal Vltor upper and custom gas block.  

Sorry if I confused you, maybe curlymaple42 will be along to help.

LittleLamb
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:12:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe you will have to open up the ejection port a bit too for clearance of the larger round.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:48:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Yessum.  Port opened up a little.  Port covers are available though now from a guy on the 50beowulf.com forum.  Plain or lasered.  Lasered should be available this week.  I do not know anyone who has done a build yet with a Satern barrel/bolt combo, but it should shoot sweet.  You need to get a gas block and send it to them and they will fit it for you.  I think $355 is what they get for the basic setup.  Then of course you could add fluting and whatever to it as well.  Any length.  I would keep it at 16" though and have the barrel threaded for an AA brake.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yessum.  Port opened up a little.  Port covers are available though now from a guy on the 50beowulf.com forum.  Plain or lasered.  Lasered should be available this week.  I do not know anyone who has done a build yet with a Satern barrel/bolt combo, but it should shoot sweet.  You need to get a gas block and send it to them and they will fit it for you.  I think $355 is what they get for the basic setup.  Then of course you could add fluting and whatever to it as well.  Any length.  I would keep it at 16" though and have the barrel threaded for an AA brake.

Does AA offer a threaded brake? I thought it was attached by a hi temp bonding agent. Or is that just the "add your own version"?

Looks like I might have to build one too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Built mine...love it ...cannon...AA  pissed  me off with the whole not releasing the patent and rights to ammo. Long story and telephone conv. with them. I used entry upper complete did wanna build an un-engineered rifle..especially one with that much fire in the bang stick
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#8]
that should have read did NOT want to build an un-engineered rifle
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top