Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/28/2007 7:39:40 AM EDT
I recently purchased some SSA 110 gr. Prohunters to use this fall for whitetail and hogs.  I was planning on sighting it in dead on at 100yds.  I am not opposed to changing it to a different zero though.  I have looked all over for ballistics with respect to bullet drop etc. with respect to eestablished zero.  I have not found anything.  Does anyone know about this?  

Perhaps Art will chime in.  I am sure there are others who would like this information too.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#1]
The SSA ammo you bought uses Sierra 110 gr Pro-Hunter bullets.
The Sierra website, http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=bullets&page=bc&stock_num=1810&bullettype=0
List the following for ballistic coeficients, .318 @ 2800 fps and above, .314 between 2800 and 2000 fps, .308 between 2000 and 1600 fps, .297 @ 1600 fps and below
I looked at the SSA website and didn't find any info on velocity or such, but MidwayUSA.com listed the Muzzle Velocity: 2585 fps.
I hope that helps you some.
mutwagn

I went to Handloads.com ballistic calculator, http://www.handloads.com/calc/index.html, and entered the velocity and sightin specs, using a 2.00" scope hieght .
I played with the sight in range and if sighted in at 215 yards the drop would be -4" at 260 yards.
yards   vel.    impact  drop    Tof    energy drift
260     1905 -4.02     22.37  0.35  886      8.99
At 120 yards and 130 yards the max rise is 2.98"

If you sight in at 100 yards the bullet would be -4.59" low at 200 yards.
Again I hope this helps, mutwagn
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#3]
www.realguns.com/

Join for free and use the ballistic calculator using the velocity of the ammo should give you more info than you need.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I am using the same bullets out of an 18" Ko-Tonics barrel. I use a 200 yard zero as the flight path is flatter.

Bob
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#5]
As Cold said, go to www.68forums, I had asked the same question under the ammo discussion group and a fine member provided me and us with all sorts of good info.  Zeros for 50, 100, 200 and even 250yd with the corresponding high and low's from zero out to 300yds.  Info based on the Pro-Hunter.

Paul thanks again
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I recently purchased some SSA 110 gr. Prohunters to use this fall for whitetail and hogs.  I was planning on sighting it in dead on at 100yds.  I am not opposed to changing it to a different zero though.  I have looked all over for ballistics with respect to bullet drop etc. with respect to eestablished zero.  I have not found anything.  Does anyone know about this?  

Perhaps Art will chime in.  I am sure there are others who would like this information too.

Thanks in advance

Try this JBM program below and see if you can work it:
www.eskimo.com/~jbm/calculations/traj/traj.html

Just select the Sierra 110 Gr. SPT from the "Library drop down box and use a velocity of around 2550 if you are not sure of the velocity and set your zero range at what-ever range you want and see if it works.  If you need any help, let me know.

LastRites:  You are welcome.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry to reply so late.

I have a similiar set up that I run with a 175 yard zero.
How do you do that, you ask?  Just sight 1.5 inches high at 100 yards and you are within 1.5 inches of line of sight from 20-200 yards.  Which is where most shots are taken.  In my opinion, a 200 yard zero is a little long, as at ~125 yards the bullet is 2.5 inches higher then line of sight, and that combined with a natural reaction to shoot a little high at distance can lead to shoot overs.  

Also, most AR setups have a 2.5" distance between scoped sighting and bore.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#8]
If you use the calculator link Paulosantos provided you can type in scope height, wind factors, etc etc etc.  Even temperature, humidity, the whole shooting match.  You can even click on many of the bullets you'd be using, like the Sieraa 110 gr Prohunter.  It automatically figures in the ballistic co-efficient and all that great stuff.  You're just several mouse clicks away from being a ballistician.  Then, using your setup, you can make the best decision on what to use for a sight-in range.  Should I be 1.5" high at 100 yards? Hmmmm.  Probably not if you can't only shoot 50 yards where you hunt.  Probably so if occasionally 200 shots present themselves.  Oh, what a plethora of decisions to make.  

So, the website gives you the best answer possible.  All PEOPLE can give you is their best guess for their experience.  So, if someone gives you a good sight in range, and then you find out later that they bench rest sight their guns in at 7,200 ft elevation, you may have received good intentions but skewed date if you hunt at sea level.  By the way, the link mentioned above can be altitude adjusted and is as simple as 1,2,3 to input the data.  By the way, when sighting in for my .270, .300 H&H, 7mm-08, etc, the program has been reaalllll close.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks to all.  I am hoping to get out this weekend and get her sighted in for the opener.  I appreciate all of the feedback
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top