Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2007 5:34:21 AM EDT
I know that a .223 mag will feed a few (usually no more than 6) 7.62x39.  I've got an on-line vendor telling me that the Promag 15 rd 6.8 mags will work fine in the Kommie Kaliber upper....

what do you all think?

(since 6.8 is a straight walled cartridge, I'm thinking the vendor is full 'o manure....but I'm stuck without a magazine for this rifle until the C Products mags hit the market)
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:49:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:55:26 AM EDT
[#2]
There are really only three ways to skin this cat.

1.  Use the 10 round 7.62x39 mags that are out there.  Anything over that and you will have problems.
2.  Use the frakenmags.  They are AR type mags up top with an AK mag welded to the bottom.
3.  Get an AR47 lower or MGI lower with an AK magwell and not worry about mags since you can use unmodified AK mags.

I have used all three and by far the best most reliable feeding is #3.  I have an AR47 lower but if I could do it all over again I would go the MGI route.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:02:14 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for confirming what I suspected twl.   The curvature/follower design is exactly what I was thinking about when I mentioned the straight walled 6.8 cartridge.  

I figure it's a relatively inexpensive experiment.  I bought it because it was advertised as a 7.62x39 AR mag, and there aren't exactly a whole lot of options out there.  (the vendor told me via email that it's actually a 6.8 but works 'flawlessly' with 7.62....after I bought it....I might be taking him up on his 100% money back guarantee)

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:10:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:... but if I could do it all over again I would go the MGI route.

Personally, I would do the same, but it's not my call.  My wife was given a custom lower by a good friend....she already has a few .223s, and wanted to try something different that she won't have to worry about finding ammo for....we'll see how it goes.  This 'may' be a moot point when C Products finishes their 7.62x39 mags, but she's trying to get this rifle ready for pig/deer season.

twl--stupid question, but does the MGI lower work with standard uppers?  (depending on how it goes with the mag drama, I may be in the market for one in the near future)
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:... but if I could do it all over again I would go the MGI route.

Personally, I would do the same, but it's not my call.  My wife was given a custom lower by a good friend....she already has a few .223s, and wanted to try something different that she won't have to worry about finding ammo for....we'll see how it goes.  This 'may' be a moot point when C Products finishes their 7.62x39 mags, but she's trying to get this rifle ready for pig/deer season.

twl--stupid question, but does the MGI lower work with standard uppers?  (depending on how it goes with the mag drama, I may be in the market for one in the near future)

It works with standard uppers after :

1.  The upper reciever is relieved for the wider AK mags
2.  The bolt is cut to allow it to move over the top of the AK mags feed lips

The above mods have to be done for the MGI lower and the AR47 lower.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#6]
excellent!  Thanks for the info
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top