Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2007 9:25:22 AM EDT
I purchased a new 6.8 upper from the EE. I am having a FTF issue. The cartridge will not seat in the chamber. It seems too tight.

Anyone else have this issue?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Can you be a bit more specific on the specs, mags, etc.  Does it stop up on the feed ramps when trying to chamber a round?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Can you be a bit more specific on the specs, mags, etc.  Does it stop up on the feed ramps when trying to chamber a round?

It's not a mag issue, I can take the B/CH out and drop a round into the chamber, and it won't fit.

Here's the kicker. It's was an intermittant problem at first.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:05:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Just send it to STAG and have them look at it.  Also ask them if they want some of your ammo so they can check.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just send it to STAG and have them look at it.  Also ask them if they want some of your ammo so they can check.

I was wanting to shoot a 3-gun match with it this Sunday. I guess I won't be able to.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#5]
paulsantos had the best solution to send it back.  What you can do is clean the bore and chamber. It sounds like headspacing or the bullet is stopping it.  What you can do after you clean the chamber is take a round that you didn't fit, clean the oil off it with some alcohol, then black marker up the whole cartridge including the bullet.  Went dry insert it in the chamber and give it a couple good pushes with your fingers, then carefully remove it and see where the marker ink is wore off.  You can repeat this one or two times to be certain of the spot that is wore off.  Either the shoulder isn't back far enough on your cartridge, or  the chamber shoulder isn't deep enough, or the bullet is loaded out too far and hitting the throad taper and/or rifling.  You marked cartridge should tell you something.

Is this factory ammo?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
paulsantos had the best solution to send it back.  What you can do is clean the bore and chamber. It sounds like headspacing or the bullet is stopping it.  What you can do after you clean the chamber is take a round that you didn't fit, clean the oil off it with some alcohol, then black marker up the whole cartridge including the bullet.  Went dry insert it in the chamber and give it a couple good pushes with your fingers, then carefully remove it and see where the marker ink is wore off.  You can repeat this one or two times to be certain of the spot that is wore off.  Either the shoulder isn't back far enough on your cartridge, or  the chamber shoulder isn't deep enough, or the bullet is loaded out too far and hitting the throad taper and/or rifling.  You marked cartridge should tell you something.

Is this factory ammo?

I did that. It makes contact on the crimp, and the shoulder.

It is Hornaday ammo. My reloads do the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Out of curiosity, you said you bought it on the EE.  Have you asked the guy you bought it from if he had the same problem?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Out of curiosity, you said you bought it on the EE.  Have you asked the guy you bought it from if he had the same problem?

He said it was new.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He said it was new.

Had the same issue with my Model 1 Sales upper in 6.8, had to send it back, works fine now..Except with SSA extreme ammo..
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#11]
You may have a chamber out of dimension, but crimping is a delicate thing to do. Over crimp and lots of things can happen. One is a bulge at the crimp area.  Another is collapsing the shoulder which maked the area right where the body of the case and shoulder meet bulge. This is one neat thing about Lee Factory Crimp dies.  They use a collet to squeeze the crimp in rather then what most dies manufacturers use. Funny the Hornady ammo is tight at the crimp too.

Just for a test make a dummy round, no powder or primer, and when you resize the case, really cam the ram over on the bottom of the resizing to die to insure the shoulder is pushed back the maximum amount. Load the bullet, but NO crimp.  Mark that up with a marker pen and report back.  

If that doesn't work either send the rifle back.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:21:56 AM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

It's not a mag issue, I can take the B/CH out and drop a round into the chamber, and it won't fit.

Here's the kicker. It's was an intermittant problem at first.hinking.gif

How do you define intermittant?  IF the rifle was working ok with the same ammo and now it won't something has changed.  No possiblity of part of a case in the chamber is there?

Rob
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:28:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I pulled the deprimer out of my RCBS 6.8 dies and ran loaded ammo into it to reshape the shoulder after I overcrimped some reloads. This fixed my problems.

Also, with SSA extremes and my M1sales upper, I had to extend the feedramps down into the upper from the barrel. 10 min with a dremel and all is good now. Don't have to remove much at all to make the extremes feed just fine.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top