Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/6/2007 3:13:01 PM EDT

Ko-Tonics 16" chrome-lined "old" barrel
Leupold Vari-X III 2-7 variable, because my deer hunting area seldom gives more than a 100-yard shot.
Defensive Edge enlarged trigger guard for those cold November mornings in Wisconsin
YHM free-float & gas block, CMT upper & GTS lower

The YHM tube looks too "tactical", but it was the cheapest free-float I could find for a mid-length gas system.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#2]
glen_r

Has the WI DNR graced us with allowing us to deer hunt with the 6.8 SPC?...
And what are you doing for legal mags?

The reason I ask is I want to set up my nephew with a Ko Tonics upper to use for
his deer hunt...

tia
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Wisconsin allows any centerfire caliber, .22 and higher, and there isn't any magazine capacity limitation.  I have a 17-rd mag in the gun, and three 25-round magazines in case the deer herd takes offense to being shot.  

Theoretically a belt-fed .22 Hornet would be OK for deer.  A member of my party used a .223 AR using 64-gr PowerPoints one year, though didn't take any shots.

'07 deer hunting regulations
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#5]
You guys wouldn't murder Bambi, would you?!?
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Wisconsin allows any centerfire caliber, .22 and higher, and there isn't any magazine capacity limitation.  I have a 17-rd mag in the gun, and three 25-round magazines in case the deer herd takes offense to being shot.  

Theoretically a belt-fed .22 Hornet would be OK for deer.  A member of my party used a .223 AR using 64-gr PowerPoints one year, though didn't take any shots.

'07 deer hunting regulations

Thanks for the info...appreciate it..
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You guys wouldn't murder Bambi, would you?!?

Of course not...not enough meat on the little guy...

Now his mom or dad...different story....

and Thumper...that little beastard ...chewing up my apple trees...and mama's rose bushes...
he's .17 HM2 fodder...fur sure..
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 6:28:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I beg to differ,

This, my friend, is a 6.8 deer rifle:

Purty, no doubt.  But all the Wisconsin deer would point at that camo, stop, and stare.

Hey, wait a minute....
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I beg to differ,

Purty, no doubt.  But all the Wisconsin deer would point at that camo, stop, and stare.

Hey, wait a minute....

Growing up Deer hunting in MN, I have also deer hunted in WI...

You guys have a fucking deer problem over there.   I must say you guys are lucky.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I beg to differ,

ko-tonics.com/images/other/21stC_Hunter.JPG

Ko-tonics, where great 6.8 rifles are born.... to hunt deer!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          DAYUM!!!! THAT IS KICK ASS!!!! when i make up my mind on the upper and camo combo i want you will be hearing from me!!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 5:15:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:09:12 PM EDT
[#13]
bottom of page here:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=282708&page=38

I then fired a few rounds @ 26.5gr.  Ko-Tonics suggested coming down 2.5gr from maximum loads because this is one of the "old" barrels, and 29gr is listed as max.  I fired one, fine-tuned the scope, and fired two more.  Here they are:

Perfectly centered, 1-3/4" above point of aim @100 yards, and what, a .2" group?  Yeah, I know, it's only two rounds, but to those of you who say it's not statistically significant, I CAN'T HEAR YOU.  

Velocity was a little slow, though.  I chronographed the last two rounds @ 2295 and 2302.  I'd like to bump that to 2400.  How much have people bumped the powder charge with the "old" Ko-Tonics barrels?
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
bottom of page here:

I then fired a few rounds @ 26.5gr.  Ko-Tonics suggested coming down 2.5gr from maximum loads because this is one of the "old" barrels, and 29gr is listed as max.  I fired one, fine-tuned the scope, and fired two more.  Here they are:

webpages.charter.net/imglennr/forum_photos/6-8_pics/142_4243-crop.JPG

Perfectly centered, 1-3/4" above point of aim @100 yards, and what, a .2" group?  Yeah, I know, it's only two rounds, but to those of you who say it's not statistically significant, I CAN'T HEAR YOU.  

Velocity was a little slow, though.  I chronographed the last two rounds @ 2295 and 2302.  I'd like to bump that to 2400.  How much have people bumped the powder charge with the "old" Ko-Tonics barrels?

How many rounds are covered up by your knife?

Agreed...it needs a few more round than just 2.  Good shooting regardless.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 5:23:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Yep, very nice group but a tad slow.  You can load that barrel into the upper 2400 range with no problems at all.  

Great!  I'll throw some more powder in there and see if I can hit 2500.  If I can hit 2500 in the summer, it'll still be satisfactory in the winter.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
bottom of page here:

webpages.charter.net/imglennr/forum_photos/6-8_pics/142_4243-crop.JPG

I have the old barrel and shoot 28.5 gr H322 with no problem.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have the old barrel and shoot 28.5 gr H322 with no problem.

With what weight bullet?

I just got some SSA small primer brass from Tim to work with 130gr bullets and an old Kotonics barrel.  Hoping to get 2475 fps from an 18".

110 gr pro hunter. I also have the ko-tonics 18 inch. When I first worked up loads I shot the full 29gr max but the groups are tightest with 28.5
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#20]
YES!!!!! What works is developing a good stand before season, getting in the woods really bleeping early, and staying bleeping put all bleeping day. A real nutcase I know owns a long oak ridge in the middle of a HUGE swohmp in Pine county, Minn., which in general is the most miserable god forsaken buck brush imaginable, beat only by Aitkin county, which is beyond horrible. At any rate-he spashes through the swamp two full days before opener, sets up camp, and unwinds for two days. Gets up at maybe 0400 opening day, creeps through the woods about a half mile to the other end of his oak ridge, and sits down overlooking the swamp. And drops a deer every year, period.
And then there is this other friend of mine who has eight or so acres that backs to a local Rapid Oil Change and K-Mart, and he hunts so close to both stores he can hear the conversation on the loading docks. And yes, it's legal. He is also within about fifty yards of 35-just out of Forest Lake. All the deer scent nonsense is nonsense. I have always thought that deer pick up an off scent just as easily as we detect an off smell in our kitchen, no matter how light. And the stuff reeks. De-scent all your clothes, ever your boots-I wear different boots in the woods than I drive to the woods in.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top