Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2007 12:32:07 AM EDT
Does anyone own or have experience with both these rifles and how do they compare? I have the DPMS and my brother was going to get one till he read up on the PTR. I know the PTR mags are much cheaper. Which one would you rather carry into battle? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:46:01 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Does anyone own or have experience with both these rifles and how do they compare? I have the DPMS and my brother was going to get one till he read up on the PTR. I know the PTR mags are much cheaper. Which one would you rather carry into battle? Thanks.

I had (since sold) a PTR before purchasing my new AP4 LR308 - The PTR is a great weapon of it's day, however it's very heavy and very dirty and kicks more as compared to the LR308 IMHO, plus the LR308 is a more accurate weapon, at least for me - Also, the LR308 (AR Style platform) has more optics and accessories that are much easier to find  - So I say the DPMS LR308 IMHO
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:50:02 AM EDT
[#2]
If going to battle I wouldn't worry about the price of mags.   Also if going to battle I would opt for the regular AR15 for it weight and handling, also the weight of ammo. I can carry more 5.56 then 308.  I own the DPMS LR308 with 24" barrel.  With a rifle like this you take more of a sniper role (in my case on wild pigs and scrap iron). having said that I like the DPMS, but like my Saber AR much better.

Furthermore if you are concerned about the price of mags, that's nothing compared the difference in ammo cost.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I like how you use the phrase "going into battle".

Get the DPMS, you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#4]
The DPMS won't destroy your brass.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had both. I sold my PTR-91 due to:
1. No bolt hold open on empty
2. Limited accessory market/options (e.g. barrels, triggers, flash hiders, etc.)
3. Heavy

I liked it originally due to:
1. Blowback action (no gas in chamber to cause carbon foul-up)
2. Compact (I got mine with the collapsing paratrooper stock)

The PTR-91 uses a slightly modified chamber design that functions the same, but doesn't destroy the brass, you can reload it just fine. The worst I've seen is the carbon black marks on the outside of the brass case.

I have 2 DPMS 308's now. The LR 24" model, and the 16" M4 model. Both work really well. The reason I got it? Standardized AR operating system, and all the 3 things I didn't like about the PTR-91.

I'm no longer worried about carbon build-up, I've shot mine over 1000 rounds with no impact on the function.

The size is not so much of an issue anymore, I prefer a longer barrel for the extra velocity. The 16" DPMS 308 model is sufficient for my needs for in-vehicle use.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top