Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2007 6:11:46 AM EDT
Howdy,

Recently purchased one of MGI's modular upper & lower. I have their modified 7.62 carrier but I need to get a bolt and a barrel. Can anyone give some good intel on where I can get a bolt and BBL? I've heard comments all over the road map regarding bolts that dont hold up and break and comments regarding manufacturers that make the stuff but will only sell with their own uppers and I'm left with really no idea which way to procede.

Also, although not a deal breaker I would prefer a short barrel (shorter than 16") as the set up will be used with a RDIAS. Again, not a deal breaker since I can get anything cut and threaded but if I can do with out the extra expense for threading that would be a plus. Right now I would be satisfied just to have on hand what I need to start blasting.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

marks
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:57:49 AM EDT
[#1]
DPMS makes both bolts and barrels for 7.62x39.
But I think just 16".

I recommend going to Model 1 Sales instead since they have 11.5" available as well as the bolts.
One stop shopping.

Below is a pic of my 7.5" 7.62x39 setup with an MGI lower as well (and RDIAS inside).

The BEST 7.62x39 bolt is the Leitner Wise ACB bolt but they are currently out for at least 3 months.

I have broken probably about 6 or 7 bolts by now but most of them have been in the 7.5" upper.  I have yet to break my ACB bolt.

www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=BPI117&storeid=1&image=barpistol7.gif&CFID=11875193&CFTOKEN=52270116

Oh, BTW, get some extra extractors while you're at it.  I've killed a bunch of those also.
Again, haven't broken the ACB's extractor either.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:23:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a ACB I purchased a while back for a .499 build. I don't think that will ever happen since the MRS is dead.

I would be willing to part with it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have a ACB I purchased a while back for a .499 build. I don't think that will ever happen since the MRS is dead.

I would be willing to part with it.

I sent you an e-mail via ar15.com. I'm interested in the bolt.

marks
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Get an Alexander arms bolt, .50 beowulf and 6.5 Grendel both use 7.62x39 bolts.

www.alexanderarms.com/siteshopper.htm?cat=2&item=78
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That's good to know.

But it looks like any other 7.62x39 bolt.  Not improved like the ACB.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's good to know.

But it looks like any other 7.62x39 bolt.  Not improved like the ACB.

I've heard this too, but I do not believe it is true. Alexander Arms changed the depth of the bolt face from the original Colt 7.62 AR dimensions to allow them to strengthen the bolt. But that means that if you use a Alexander Arms bolt with a standard 7.62x39 barrel or a 7.62x39 bolt with a 6.5 Grendel, you'll end up with incorrect head space.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top