Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2007 7:28:33 PM EDT
well the nazis finally figured out that the last AWB didn't really stop anyone from getting "assault weapons" it just nuetered them. the new one bans production of:

"A frame or receiver that is identical to, or based substantially on the frame or receiver of, a firearm described in any of subparagraphs (A) through (I) or (L)."

guess what. AR's are in subparagraphs A-L.  so we cant even get nuetered Cali-AR's after this gets through.

it also bans: conversion kits.

"Conversion Kit- The term `conversion kit' means any part or combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a firearm into a semiautomatic assault weapon, and any combination of parts from which a semiautomatic assault weapon can be assembled if the parts are in the possession or under the control of a person."

so we cant get new upper receivers for the all the pre-ban lowers we stockpiled.

what will happen to 6.8/6.5 now? (if this passes, which it will eventually)

I was gonna get a 6.5 grendel uppern (.223 just doesnt do it for me), but now I am thinking of selling my AR for an AK or an FAL, which is gonna last longer. especially in the water in case of a boating accident. so what do you think about future 6.8 and 6.5 ammo availability post ban, with no new AR's and probably no new uppers??
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:52:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Get into handloading no matter what if there is an AWB.  The 6.5 Grendel cases can be fireformed from 7.62x39 brass so you can stock up on a huge cheap supply.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Jeez louise guys, the friggin thing is not even out of committee, much less passed the House, much lessed passed the Senate, much less signed. And Bush is not going to sign a AWB. Don't you think you might be a wee bit ahead of yourselves?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#3]
you are right about one thing, chances are this version will never make it out of committe. there have been a AWB variants in committee ever since 2005, no one seemed to notice the others but I check up on stuff like that. this one has somehow gathered the attention it deserves becuase it is much harsher than the previous ones.

Bush already publicly stated that he would sign another AWB.

we WILL see another assault weapon ban in our lifetime. I would bet my left nut on it. maybe not this year, maybe not next year, but it will happen.

I didn't make this post to comment on the probability of it passing, just wondering if you guys think that 6.8 or 6.5 is available and common enough to survive another ban. as far as I know the only hunting rifle that used 6.8 was discontinued by remington. correct me if I am mistaken.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#4]
No 6.8SPC hunting rifles in Remington's 2007 catalog. I think TC still makes 6.8 stuff, but you are right in thinking it is almost 100% concentrated in the black rifle world.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Hopefully it won't pass but with a Democratically controlled congress who knows?

If writing our congressional reps doesn't work, I'm sure a bunch will be voted out of office again (I'll be working extra hard for that) and the ban will go away again.

Stopping it before it has a chance is my goal.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#6]
FUCKING DEFEATIST!!!

They won the last election by 78,000 votes total nation wide. Most elections were by less than 5,000 votes and ya'll are tossing in the towel.

Grow a pair will ya'.

wganz

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:52:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think it would affect either of the rounds significantly, any AR lower will work with them, so it's really just a matter of swapping uppers, and/or barrels, bolts.  Plus, there are supposed to be conversion parts for the XCR, and probably the US AUG clones.
I believe Ruger is going to introduce the Mini-14 in a 6.8 this year too.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:44:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I dont think it will pass....Look what it cost the Dems in the elections... But since the lower is considered the firearm, buy a few AR15 and 308 lowers now and build it when your ready. As far as the CA legal type of ARs, it is non problematic issue now. Check it out for yourself.... www.calguns.net. There are alot of happy people in CA lately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:39:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
FUCKING DEFEATIST!!!

They won the last election by 78,000 votes total nation wide. Most elections were by less than 5,000 votes and ya'll are tossing in the towel.

Grow a pair will ya'.

wganz

Who's the defeatist???

I'm attacking every venue...what are you doing?
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top