Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2007 3:08:59 PM EDT
My father recently purchased a DPMS AP4.  We're replacing the stock soon and I was wondering if the buffer and spring will fit in a standard mil-spec tube.  Also, is a mil-spec tube going to fit the threads of the lower?

I noticed while trying to slip my Vlto Clubfoot on it that the stock buffer tube is slighty thicker than mil-spec and would not accept the Vltor.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I replaced my 6 position with an ACE.

A standard ar-15 tube is what you need. However, you need an AR-10 specific buffer and spring.

Call DPMS, both cost like 20$ altogether plus ship.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks heat.  

So the buffer and spring that came with the weapon will not fit in a standard mil-spec tube?
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#3]
the buffer and spring are fine, as long as you use the proper ones.  meaning rifle in rifle and carbine in carbine.  any extension should fit the receiver.  as far as which stock will fit on which tube, milspec or commercial, check with manuf of the stock if unsure.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks heat.  

So the buffer and spring that came with the weapon will not fit in a standard mil-spec tube?

The .308 spring is much more robust than the .223 spring. The .223 spring will not work. I tried it.

The .308 buffer is longer and heavier than the carbine buffer. I think it is shorter than a standard .223 buffer.

The buffer tubes for .223 and .308 are the same.

Also, be prepared to cut the old 6 position castle nut off, it is staked on and there is not a cheater bar long enough and a wrnech strong enough to overcome its fury. I tried it.

Just call DPMS and say, I wanna make my .308 a standard length stock, I need the standard length buffer tube and buffer. And just get any old standard length tube.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 9:23:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks heat.  

The .308 spring is much more robust than the .223 spring. The .223 spring will not work. I tried it.

The .308 buffer is longer and heavier than the carbine buffer. I think it is shorter than a standard .223 buffer.

Also, be prepared to cut the old 6 position castle nut off, it is staked on and there is not a cheater bar long enough and a wrnech strong enough to overcome its fury. I tried it.

Just call DPMS and say, I wanna make my .308 a standard length stock, I need the standard length buffer tube and buffer. And just get any old standard length tube.

Are you referencing the lock nut that holds the stock on?  That castle nut?  I had no problem taking mine off.  Or are you referencing another castle nut?

In the morning I will post pictures of the carbine and rifle buffers/springs.

-TS
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 6:37:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks heat.  

Are you referencing the lock nut that holds the stock on?  That castle nut?  I had no problem taking mine off.  Or are you referencing another castle nut?

-TS

Yes Tite, I/we replaced 2 of those stocks and both were staked on, I'm very jealous you had such an easy time!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 6:46:02 AM EDT
[#7]
If it's staked then use a dremel cutoff wheel to cut that part and then unscrew it, don't try focring the bent metal to just twist off but some folks do just that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:39:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies.   I really just need to know if I need to buy a different buffer and spring in order to put a MagPul CTR stock on it or can I use the ones that came with the weapon.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:29:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.   I really just need to know if I need to buy a different buffer and spring in order to put a MagPul CTR stock on it or can I use the ones that came with the weapon.

as long as you have the non mil spec ctr you should be good.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:37:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks heat.  

-TS

Yes Tite, I/we replaced 2 of those stocks and both were staked on, I'm very jealous you had such an easy time!!!!!!

Do you by chance have pictures of the staked nuts?  I have worked on almost 2 dozen different AP4's and never a single one was staked, I even spoke to DPMS and they said they don't stake them.  Picture would be so good to see.

-TS
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top