Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2007 12:00:59 PM EDT
Ok, I have a DPMS AP4 in .308

Having 1 rail for a vertical grip seems attractive.

Since the FF tube is Alum, and some rails available are Alum, is there an issue with simply drilling and tapping 2 holes in the FF Tube?

Sure would be cheaper and simpler than buying a new quadrail for 1 rail.

Has anybdy done this?

thanks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd have it done professionally, it seems just too easy to screw up and do wrong.

But otherwise it seems like a fine idea, as long as you can find a peice of rail that fits flush.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I did this with the round rail on my AR-15 pistol which had a DPMS forend.  I got 3 rails and Accra Glassed them in position on the rail.  This allowed for time to get everything aligned perfectly.  Of course, let it cure over night.  Next day, leaving the rails in place, I used the holes in the rail to act as a guide for the clearance bit.  Once dimpled I used the tap bit to complete the hole and then tapped them out.  Not a big deal at all.  If you want the rails removeable, put some heat on the handguard and the bond will break and the rails will come off.  Then screw them on and Lock-Tite them in place.  Worked fine until I retired the handguard for a locking YHM 4 rail just last week.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I have done a few. but i would drill the handguard and back it with a nut. rather than tapping it. I have tapped them as will but aluminum threads are fragile. If you going to leave in no for good that may not  be a problem but you don't want your rail coming loose. hope this helps

Craig
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:19:46 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks guys
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top