Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2006 7:55:29 AM EDT
copied from "AR discussions" , maybe I'll have greater success here...

Can I use a standard rifle A2 buffer with 458 SOCOM, .499 LW and .50AE ???

-- or --
do I need something heavier

-- or --
maybe a hydraulic buffer...

What do you guys use?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking you would need something heavier...

What do you guys use?

I was thinking about an Olympic arms AC4 Pneumatic buffer

or

an ENIDINE AR15 AR-restor Hydraulic Recoil Buffer

any experience out there????

Link Posted: 8/12/2006 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I was wondering the same thing and found old threads somewhere on here, I think in the handgun calibers. I was told that a heavier buffer should be used in the big bores to increase lock time on the bolt. Again search the old thread because there is a member out there offering heavier buffers. I weighed the buffer in my carbine stock 50 Beowulf and it weighed out at 2.8 oz. I chucked up some 1" steel rod and turned one out and it weights 7.8 oz. I cycled the action to test function then shot 3 rounds. I did notice a little difference but without a side by side comparison I don't know. I'm going to do some more "testing" tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I have around 1000+ rounds though my 458 SOCOM using a normal buffer.  Some use a MGI heavy buffer but I dont and have had NO issues what so ever.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#3]
MGI on my .50 Beowulf.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I run a plain H buffer in my Beowulf . Before that I had a plain
long buffer in the A2 stock . No problems with either
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 2:51:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Read about buffers and springs for 458 SOCOM here...   BUFFERS
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 6:40:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

wow, great source of info right there
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Stock buffer in the .50Beowulf here and she runs like a top!  Haven't found a need to shoot tons of ammo through the Beo at a single sitting, and it is pricey even though I reload it, so it is fine the way it is.  I am assuming all these buffers you speak of reduce the recoil a bit?  Is that the point?

I can tell COLD does not use anything to reduce recoil.  I clearly remember a pic of him with some animal he blasted and a nice WACK around his eye from his scope!  HAHAHA!!!  h
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Stock buffer in the .50Beowulf here and she runs like a top!  Haven't found a need to shoot tons of ammo through the Beo at a single sitting, and it is pricey even though I reload it, so it is fine the way it is.  I am assuming all these buffers you speak of reduce the recoil a bit?  Is that the point?

I can tell COLD does not use anything to reduce recoil.  I clearly remember a pic of him with some animal he blasted and a nice WACK around his eye from his scope!  HAHAHA!!!    Gotta watch that one!  I had some guy at our range want to shoot my Beowulf and he mentioned something about shooting the .223 with your nose to the charge handle.  I caught him before he loaded her up and suggested he NOT put his nose there!  Good thing, cause he woulda gotten SLAMMED.  

Nope, I dont use anything to reduce recoil, mainly because I dont find the recoil on the 458 SOCOM to be that daunting.  If you shoot a 300 WBY Mag bolt gun for big game, prone...the 458 SOCOM is a welcomed change.  Furthermore, the round was designed, and what a great forethought it was indeed, to not need any mods beyond the barrel and minor bolt mods. Standard Mags/buffers/lower internals, you name it, there all the same, as such, I intend to further prove that the 458 SOCOM need not have anything special beyond the basical upper to show its form andf function. Over 1000 rounds of ammo down the pipe and not one issue.  Only issue have had, was with some exotic sabots, they were truly a T & E experience, and well, the first few cycled the action and the last 2 did not. Otherwise, no FTF's no stove pipping, no FTE's. The thing goes bang, every time Ive ever needed it to.

ETA: I guess you dont remember that pic very well...only because the nice wack was infact not around my eye...but on the bridge of my nose...and all I will say is, it was not from actually shooting those pigs...nor from me being to close to the scope on the 458 SOCOM...
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 4:29:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/15/2006 7:50:49 AM EDT
[#10]
In my .50AE and .458SOCOM I used the standard A2 buffer but I upgraded the buffer spring from an AR-10. I found it help some for me.

Pat
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gee Cold, sorry.  I'm just so stupid... thought there was a bit of info there that may help...  also thought that I'd help steer people to your new site... guess I wont do that anymore.

I meant what I said, it was a great source of info right there! I think you mis took what I said to be sarcastic, when infact I was saying, good job at linking them, I should have done it myself, hence my "good source" comment.

Ah, the internet, it doesnt convey emotions very well, and leaves things open to interpretation
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#12]
MGI  
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 9:13:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Oly's AC4 Pneumatic in my Beowulf, I was just curious to try it and it's cool.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Your email and IM are disabled, hope you reply here....

I am curious about the AC4.  How do you like it?  Does it feel much different shooting it compared to a spring and a buffer?  Anything you can tell me would be helpful.

Thanks,
Rich
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your email and IM are disabled, hope you reply here....

I am curious about the AC4.  How do you like it?  Does it feel much different shooting it compared to a spring and a buffer?  Anything you can tell me would be helpful.

Thanks,
Rich

I too am interested in more feed back this buffer. I have only read snipits about it on the boards.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I wish I could give you a perfect answer, but I have not tried the regular buffer and spring in my 'wulf. I got the AC4 to reduce follow up shot time and to soften the recoil.
When I got the buffer from Oly, I set it to the max as described in the directions, and it's really, really smooth. Feeds perfect. with about 200 rounds no problems at all.
No wierd noise like with some springs. Recoil from factory hardball loads in my 16" barrel with ACE SOCOM stock feels like my breech loaded 20 gauge.
For the price of the adjustable AC4 from Oly I am quite happy with it, I would like to try a different set up just to compare but I would for sure build another big bore with the AC4.
I have heard great things about the MGI with wolf springs, but my AC4 cost about half the price of an MGI.
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have heard great things about the MGI with wolf springs, but my AC4 cost about half the price of an MGI.

Well that is a good thing, where did you get the buffer? Directly from Oly?
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Cold,
Yeah, I just called the number posted on thier web site, ordered some parts and had about a 6 week wait for the adjustable buffer at the time. That was last year.
Seem like a really cool bunch of guys at Oly, thier trigger group is what I got in my 'wulf right now. It's got to be the best feeling trigger I ever pulled. If you get the AC4 I hope you like it as much as I do.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#19]
One thig to remember:just because the round is firing a very heavy big bore projectile, that has nothing to do with how fast or hard the bolt carrier moves back. That is controlled by the gas port size & its distance to/from the chamber/muzzle.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#20]
458 SOCOM, Magpul Stock, carbine buffer and tube.  You feel it, but it functions just fine.  BTW, LOCK the stock(a feature on the magpul) in place or it gets shorter and shorter each shot......
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Standard Buffer, works well in mine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:44:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I use an MGI
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top