Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/29/2006 9:51:34 AM EDT
I've been considering getting/building a 308 semi-auto long range target rifle.  I'm looking at the DPMS and the Armalite.

One think I have found with my M1A is that the mag is a bit short for the heavier bullets. if I want to seat them out far enough to get the best accuracy, I can't feed from the mag.  Just wondering if the original AR-10 mags that the DPMS uses are longer than M14 mags.

I think that FAL mags are quite long, but I wouldn't consider the RRA rifle till it has built up a bit of a track record.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#1]
FWIW the RRA rifle IS what the Bushmaster was, since Bushmaster got the design from RRA, IIRC
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#2]
RRA claims to have fixed the problems the Bushmaster had.  I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt... but not with my own money.  Time will tell.

So, how about it there DPMS owners?  Whats the maximum OAL you can seat to and still fit the round into the mag?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:50:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I haven't run any reloads in our, but the factory M118LR stuff runs just fine. I suppose you can maximize a bit more with handloads, but this round on the 24" LR-308 shoots MOA to 1000 yards and will still make reliable hits beyond that. It's not a 300 or 338, but I think that the Lake City recipe is about the best for all around use.

If you call DPMS, you can probably find out your answer from the horse's mouth.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Got a BS response from them about the SAAMI OAL spec... as expected.  I'm guessing that it isn't a whole lot different than the M14 mag.

Hmm... they kind of convinced me to go the Armalite route.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top