Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 6:58:44 PM EDT
I keep reading about the "100rd break in" can someone enlighten me?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Stainless                                       Chrome moly
5 one-shot cycles                        5 - 25 - one-shot cycles
1 three-shot cycle                       2 - three-shot cycles
1 five-shot cycle                          1 - five-shot cycle
kriegerbarrels.com/RapidCat/catalog/pagetemplate.cfm?template=/RapidCat/common/viewPage.cfm&PageId=2558&CompanyId=1246
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#2]
To achieve the best results for accuracy you should clean the chamber and bore after every round for the first 25 rounds, then every 10 rounds up to 100 rounds.  It usually takes about 200 rounds for optimum accuracy.  

There you go, straight from the Panther's mouth...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I keep reading about the "100rd break in" can someone enlighten me?

.Basically don't worry about it, just clean it after a range session. I think companys are now expected to have some sort of break in instructions due to the "Fad" the Gale mentions below.

I'd recomend you Take the late Gale McMillan's advise.

"Posted: 09-25-1999 10:10 The break in fad was started by a fellow I helped get started in the barrel business . He started putting a set of break in instructions in ever barrel heshipped. One came into the shop to be installed and I read it and the next time I saw him I asked him What was with this break in crap?. His answerwas Mac, My share of the market is about 700 barrels a year. I cater to the target crowd and they shoot a barrel about 3000 rounds before theychange it. If each one uses up 100 rounds of each barrel breaking it in you can figure out how many more barrels I will get to make each year. If youwill stop and think that the barrel doesn't know whether you are cleaning it every shot or every 5 shots and if you are removing all foreign material thathas been deposited in it since the last time you cleaned it what more can you do? When I ship a barrel I send a recommendation with it that you clean itever chance you get with a brass brush pushed through it at least 12 times with a good solvent and followed by two and only 2 soft patches. Thismeans if you are a bench rest shooter you clean ever 7 or 8 rounds . If you are a high power shooter you clean it when you come off the line after 20rounds. If you follow the fad of cleaning every shot for X amount and every 2 shots for X amount and so on the only thing you are accomplishing is shortening the life of the barrel by the amount of rounds you shot during this process. I always say Monkey see Monkey do, now I will wait on the flames but before you write them, Please include what you think is happening inside your barrel during break in that is worth the expense and time youare spending during break in"
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:23:03 PM EDT
[#4]
How I broke in my DPMS LR-308:

Squirted some CLP on the bolt and then proceeded to shoot about 160 rounds through it without doing anything else.

I hear you are supposed to, like clean 'em or something? but that just sounds a lot like work.

YMMV, of course.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:36:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I cleaned the bore and lubed the bolt/carrier when I got the gun.  Then I shot it....a lot.  My rifle gets cleaned after every range session, but no silly voodoo rituals.

Still shoots just fine.

This 6 shot, 100 yd group is after over 1K rounds of various surplus.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top