Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/21/2006 10:35:02 AM EDT
I have a freind that has a Beowulf that he may be willing to part with.

Who else has one?

Any issues?

I shot the thing- damn! What are some ways to reduce recoil on the monster? Heavier buffer, compensators?

How much should I be willing to pay for the complete upper used? It has an Oly FF rail tube with it. Other than that it is in great condition. He has put a few rounds thorugh it but not many.

What about mags? Where can I get them? How do you modify GI mags for use? Do I need a different follower?

ETA: Also, what is the length of the handguards on these carbines? The barrel is 16" but, the handguards look longer.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Who else has one? yep

Any issues? not a single one so far

I shot the thing- damn! What are some ways to reduce recoil on the monster? Heavier buffer, compensators?  alexanderarms offers a brake along with some of the bigbore builders here coupled with the mgi rate/recoil reducing buffer the 'wulf is real pleasant to shoot.

How much should I be willing to pay for the complete upper used? It has an Oly FF rail tube with it. Other than that it is in great condition. He has put a few rounds thorugh it but not many. think new they go for around $600-700? check with the online places or alexander arms themselves

What about mags? Where can I get them? How do you modify GI mags for use? Do I need a different follower? usually there is no need to modify the feedlips but in some cases you do, all that is required is to open them up a bit. i use D&D thermolds and they dont require any tweaking and they work great

ETA: Also, what is the length of the handguards on these carbines? The barrel is 16" but, the handguards look longer.
the beowuld has a midlength gas system and handguards, it is not a carbine.

read through the tacked threads
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who else has one? yep

Any issues? not a single one so far

I shot the thing- damn! What are some ways to reduce recoil on the monster? Heavier buffer, compensators?  alexanderarms offers a brake along with some of the bigbore builders here coupled with the mgi rate/recoil reducing buffer the 'wulf is real pleasant to shoot.

How much should I be willing to pay for the complete upper used? It has an Oly FF rail tube with it. Other than that it is in great condition. He has put a few rounds thorugh it but not many. think new they go for around $600-700? check with the online places or alexander arms themselves

What about mags? Where can I get them? How do you modify GI mags for use? Do I need a different follower? usually there is no need to modify the feedlips but in some cases you do, all that is required is to open them up a bit. i use D&D thermolds and they dont require any tweaking and they work great

the beowuld has a midlength gas system and handguards, it is not a carbine.

read through the tacked threads

Thanks eklikwhoa. I will check out the tacked threads.

ETA: Has anyone ever had a problem with midlength 2 piece rail systems on the Beo? Specifically MI's two piece. I am concerned about the OA diameter being too large under the handguards.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I shot the thing- damn! What are some ways to reduce recoil on the monster? Heavier buffer, compensators?

What about mags? Where can I get them? How do you modify GI mags for use? Do I need a different follower?

To reduce re-coil I use an MGI buffer and Pachmeyr butt pad.

Did not need to modify USGI mags.

.50 Beowulf Forum
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Has anyone had any issues with two piece handguards like MI's fitting the large barrel diameter?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Any handguard will fit.  It uses a standard barrel nut, so the barrel isn't any bigger than normal.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Any handguard will fit.  It uses a standard barrel nut, so the barrel isn't any bigger than normal.

Cool  

I think all my questions are answered.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#7]
What recoil?  

Guess I've shot 12 ga. shotguns too much.  The recoil on my Beowulf doesn't bother me.  I don't necessarily shoot hundreds or thousands of rounds through it each time like I do my other AR's but still, several boxes doesn't leave me hurting or flinching.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What recoil?  
Guess I've shot 12 ga. shotguns too much.  The recoil on my Beowulf doesn't bother me.  I don't necessarily shoot hundreds or thousands of rounds through it each time like I do my other AR's but still, several boxes doesn't leave me hurting or flinching.

+1
I think part of shooting this thing is technique.  I'm not a overly large guy.  When I shoot it I don't fight it, I just maintain the cheek weld and rock back with it making darn sure I'm not up into the charging handle like with the 5.56s (you might do it once before you learn not to do it).  I rock and roll with it doing a whole mag of double taps without any problems.  I like it .  I have a friend who is a big guy, probably 6" taller and much  heavier than me who shoots often also.  After about 2-3 shots of Beowulf and he's had enough of it.  He keeps telling me to put a brake on this thing.  Might put the brake on to use as a standoff though.  I think this is why a lot of guys buy these Beowulfs and then let them go after they shoot them a little.  
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top