Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 11:44:51 AM EDT
Are there any plans in the works for piston driven uppers ??

I love the AR platform in .308 , have an SR-25 , and am hesitating on a DPMS carbine, for this reason.

It seems like a natural fit to a 'percieved' problem. Generally , when asking people they say .308 Ar's have issues.

Just seems like a good fit , piston driven reliability with .308 power.

Anyone have one availiable or past the drawing boards ??

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:24:15 PM EDT
[#2]

We built two DPMS AP4 based .308 AR's for SHOT show. They used Leitner-Wise's short stroke piston system. We put about 600-800 rounds down range during the demo shoot at the Las Vegas PD shooting range.

A few notables at attendance during the shoot that got some trigger time:
Randall from AR15 barrels.com
John Noveske and Todd for Noveske Rifle Works
Larry G36
Ed Avila Sr and Jr
+ too many others I did not get to meet or recall the names

You can call me biased but it is one of the quiets, smoothest shooting gun I have ever shot. Recoil was equal to or less than a 5.56.

Spec's:
DPMS AP4 base gun
Leitner Wise gas piston system
Ti Suppressor by Jet
Magpul PRS stock
ARMS SIR (modified)
Luppy 4-10x scope on LaRue mount
Troy BUIS

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#3]
And when those rifles are available I WILL HAVE ONE, except instead of the sir system I would use a Troy rail.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#4]
How does the LW gas piston fit into a DPMS 308 bolt carrier/assembly?

I wish there were affordable drop in piston systems available (replace gas tube with piston system, the bolt carrier key with rod).

Somebody make one please!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I wish there were affordable drop in piston systems available (replace gas tube with piston system, the bolt carrier key with rod).

From the pics I've seen, you just replace the carrier key with one that interfaces with the op rod.  Be interesting to see how those small parts wear after repeated impact.  Ever see an op rod on an M1A?  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#6]
The carrier requires a dovetail to be cut by EDM. The LW system uses a hardened steel gas key which fit onto the dovetail cut in the carrier. The ass end of the carrier has a boss to increase the OD of the carrier. This boss along with the angle of the key help vector the forces from the op rod to minimize/prevent carrier tilt (keep the carrier moving in-line with the bore)

Here is a pic of the LW piston parts.

Note the cut under key and the enlarged diameter at the end of the carrier
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Ares "does" who knows when they will really be available even though the website says available now.

See link:
www.aresdefense.com/product.html

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top