Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/19/2006 1:35:29 PM EDT
I've read all the 458 Socom stuff. Not interested in the Beo or 500 Phantom. I want the Rhino in either 338 or 458. Please let us know what is going on with these and how to get one.

From www.TeppoJutsu.com
THE RHINO CARTRIDGE SERIES
Currently in the prototype stages, this is the latest addition to our stable.  Building on the .500 Phantom concept, we have taken the same case, lengthened it and necked it down to a variety of sizes.  The project sponsor was primarily interested in the .470 version, however, we felt the .338 version offered great potential and as a result we have dies for the .470, .450, .416, .375 and .338 version.  

As with the Phantom, these rounds are intended for use in the AR-10 and DPMS LR series of rifles and should offer some devastating firepower.  The projected velocities for a 24" barrel at moderate pressure are listed below

.450 Rhino with 300 gr Barnes X Spitzer. 24" barrel, about 2700-2800 fps (in top magazine)

.338 Rhino with 200 gr CT BST. 24" barrel about 2900-3000 fps

.375 Rhino (no bullet shown) with 260 gr Nosler BT around 2750 fps

.416 Rhino (no bullet shown) with 400 gr Nosler Partition around 2300 fps

.470 Rhino (no bullet shown) with 500 gr Swift A-Frame around 2150 fps.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Reamers are on hand as are dies

First batch of prototype brass on order.  If system works as planned, looking for full scale implementation.  First two versions to be chambered are the 470 (for original project sponsor) and 338 (cause I want to reach out and touch something)

Patience, as the brass man moves slow ....

Marty
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess I am confussed, but keep thinking this could be a nice "Level II" addition to your existing .458 line.  Sorry, just like my 45-70's.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Correct me if I am wrong, but the 470 Rhino is pushing 470NE express numbers, if not slightly exceeding them.

Holy Smokes, that must wake you up
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#4]
It does duplicate .470 NE numbers, that was the point of the whole project. The Rhinos are designed to duplicate their respective aftican hunting equivilants. The Nitro Expresses all pushed 500 grain pills to about 2150, so there's really no real difference between the .450 and .470. The .416 should dupe Mr. Rigby's cartridge pretty closely, and the .375 should come pretty close to Holland's cartridge. If one wanted, you could also neck to .423 and dupe the Mr. Jeffery's cartridge.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup, the intent is to take this beast to the Dark Continent.  Several countries still do allow Safari with a semi-auto, just needed something that would make the minimum caliber requirements.  And one of our customers plans to take on Cape Buff with a PISTOL version of the .470

Me, I just want to see the numbers on the chrony for the .338, because it should be able to push the 250 at the same speed as the RUM or Win Mag, and get awefully close to the big Lap dog...
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:08:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yup, the intent is to take this beast to the Dark Continent.  Several countries still do allow Safari with a semi-auto, just needed something that would make the minimum caliber requirements.  And one of our customers plans to take on Cape Buff with a PISTOL version of the .470

Me, I just want to see the numbers on the chrony for the .338, because it should be able to push the 250 at the same speed as the RUM or Win Mag, and get awefully close to the big Lap dog...

Marty
I would assume that these are out of the AR10/DPMS platform.  Any idea of what recoil will be like?  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:21:26 AM EDT
[#7]
A .470 AR?  I don't know why, but I'm in!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Marty, you get these going, & I'll sell my 308 upper to get one of yours in 338.  Just say when.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Based on our work with the various bigger platforms, we would be inclined to promote the use of the DPMS LR platform at this time (nothing wrong with the AR10 but economics and availability)

We are trying to get the project moving, two BIG caveats:  The 338 may not work in terms of bolt lugs surviving, we need to test it.  And the brass will not be cheap, we're looking at $2-$3 a pop initially, although if the project takes off, that can come down rapidly (we would need a mere 5000 pieces sold ...)

Will post more here, you'll be the first to know

Marty
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top