Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2006 9:07:43 PM EDT
I stumbled across these while we were looking for new things to load in the Teppo Jutsu line of cartridges.  As an engineer, the concept (in terms of fluid dynamics and behaviour in flight) makes sense.  I would have to see how it works on flesh but seeing what an apple core drill does to an apple ...

The developer, Duan Suarez from JADA Enterprise, has a nice DVD that shows these being used against LexGaurd bullet proof laminate.  Having worked for GE Plastics, I know it to be some tough stuff.  Seeing how deep it goes into the LexGaurd was noteworthy.  And as mentioned, from "flow of fluids past an immersed body" point of view, indeed it should see far less drag and therefore better long range capability.  I am going to get about 40 or 50 and send a batch to Cold to test against piggies and a batch to RRA to test in general

A fuzzy picture of the back end.

The bullet is hollow all the way through.  This makes the projectile light (200 grain) but also makes it rather aerodynamic.  In terms of wounding, it acts like a cookie cutter I would guess and leaves a large permanent wound cavity.  Due to the reduced drag, it should allow longer shots ...  But if it is hollow, how do you shoot it you ask?  Duane was using Lexan disks that were inserted in the case before the bullet.  That works great for rounds like the .45-70 but for the necked rounds like the SOCOM it did not work.  And the disk used up quite some powder space.  So we went looking for a solution - a cap or plug that fit in the hole, tight enough not to fall out, loose enough to come out once the bullet leaves the muzzle.  It acts like a discarding sabot, but the typical issue encountered with sabots - lack of accuracy - should not exist in this case

Here is a shot of the bullet and cap.

Where the 300 gr loads come in around 1900 fps, this load should come in around 2150 fps.  As to BC, I have NO idea ... but if it is less than the 300 gr X Spitzer, I would be surprised.

As soon as we know more about range, effectiveness and BC, we will be sure to post ...

Marty

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Marty, surely a big hole in the middle wrecks havoc with the BC.

It's similar to the cookie-cutter rounds of the 80s that chewed their way through Kevlar.

The projos should perhaps taper a little more up the front and have an internal shoulder to support an internal plastic plug. This would increase effective case capacity.

Kewl stuff......just don't put it in a pistol calibre

Simon
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks cool

Now if someone would make a magsafe/glaser style bullet for the SOCOM
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Make something for the 500 phantom and then we can have some fun
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:16:47 PM EDT
[#4]

.tag
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Must...get...ahold...of...those...for April....

Im impressed, I am going hunting this weekend for hogs and predators with my 458 SOCOM and 17 Hmr....polar opposets indeed.

Going to be trying a 405 grain Rem Soft Point loaded by a nice guy off here who thinks it would do the trick, however, I must say that wound cavity would cause massive shock and thus hopefully leave everything to be a "bang flop situation" as I like to call it.

Keep me posted on any developments!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Marty, can you believe that I thought of the same thing a couple of months ago?  I need to start writing this stuff down so people will believe me.

<----The kid who knew what "Hadji Don't Surf" meant, and then took up a lot of your time at SHOT.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:30:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I just ordered a hundred of these babies and can not wait to try them out.

Hadji Don't Surf - at Shot Marty, myself,and business associates were at dinner- both of us had our Hadji shirts on.  We walked into the restroom together and some poor sap that was cleaning the restroom (af an arabic nationality) about had a fit as we passed him and he read.  It was priceless.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top