Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 12:17:01 PM EDT
Well, after 1.5 years I finally got around to finishing this rifle.  Started out as a SR25 Match (24" barrel) that I bought in August 2004.  Assuming the AWB was going to sunset, I bought the rifle thinking to build a 16" carbine out of it.  The ban sunset and so the project began.  

I stripped the rifle down and had the barrell cut down to 16.125" and threaded 5/8-24.  I was lucky as this SR25 came with one of the Obermeyer 5R barrels.  I bought one of Yellow Bird Deer's tungsten buffers and installed that into a Vltor stock with the stock SR25 buffer spring cut down to 29 coils.  In essence, that is all it really took to arrive at the 16" SR25 carbine.

As it sits now, It has a Leupold MK4 16x M1 scope, LaRue MK11 MOD 0 mount, Troy sights, Vlotr stock, Harris bi-pod with LaRue mount, and a SWR .30 Omega suppressor.  I plan to put a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 NPR2 in the future - the M1 was a fix as it was the only scope I had lying around at the moment.

Yesterday was my first day at the range with it and I was pleased.  Shot 55 rounds; 40 for barrel break in and 15 for accuracy.  Rifle functioned fine with and without the suppressor.  With Black Hills 175 BTHP, the rifle average 1 MOA unsupressed and a little under 1 MOA suppressed.  Suppressed I had a 3.5 MOA shift to the left.  Will try some other loads in the future to see if I can exploit some better accuracy and chrono the velocity.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#1]
WOW!!!  

Glad to see you got it done.  Looks great.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#2]
NIIIICE...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad to hear it worked out, was wondering how that gas set up would work.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Glad to hear it worked out, was wondering how that gas set up would work.

I was wondering the same - but all was good on the first trial.  I am going to try and get a stiffer buffer spring as I noticed the bolt was being sluggish a couple times going into battery.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Stiffer spring?  Are you not running the SR-25 spring?  Might be hard to find one more stout then that.

I would be inclined to think that the reason the bolt velocity is slow going forward, is that it is slow going back in the first place.  The being that the length of time the gas system is pressurized is much shorter then it was.  And a lighter spring might be more help.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top